overall
Serve in Tulip

RATINGS: 659   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.65/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 204   ABV: 6.8%
Its a saison of sorts; hellaciously herbaceous and hopefully contagious. This was not a ready made ale. But it is a ready made collaboration. Meaning Stone and Victory are 2 breweries that are exactly like Dogfish in that they do/brew exactly what they love and they do/brew it exactly like no other brewery out there. (Love - lots of it in this bottle)

-Samuel A Calagione

Ale brewed with parsley, sage, rosemary, and thyme.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
amarcero (24) - , Vermont, USA - JUN 16, 2010
Really nice. The most unique and well done beer Ive had for quite some time, by far my favorite from Stone/Dogfish ... I like Victorys Prima Pils just as much. Definitely lots of sage from what I taste. I wish there was more carbonation like a Du Pont, but its still real nice. I wonder if not filtering would have done the beer justice? It may have added even more to an already quite palate fulfilling beer. Overall, the aroma is incredible. This brew has renewed my acceptance of spiced beers.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Cirrhosis (1283) - Edmonton, Alberta, CANADA - JUN 16, 2010
Light honey brown body with slight haze. WOW!!! WTF!!! What is this wacked out aroma?!?!?!? So many different things going on here. Sage I think I notice most and thyme is a close second and I swear Im hitting lemon and ginger type aromas to. I cant stop smelling this it so odd, I can smell this all night long and not get sick of it. There are so many different flavors going on in here, so many strong herbs it like liquid stove top stuffing but there is also a big hop presence that helps balance it out. Taste comes across fairly sweet and has a bitter lemon hop finish. The bitter linger on the palate for a very long thyme..get it thymeas in the spice..because I really mean time..they sound close to the same. Where I thought the aroma was yummy and unique even though the flavor is very similar it doesnt have the same effect on me, I really dont think I could ever drink more than one of these in a month and Im glad I split this one. Interesting brew Im glad I had a chance to try it.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Elwood (3336) - Leesburg, Virginia, USA - JUN 16, 2010
Serving: 12 oz. bottle from Fireworks.
It pours a light yellow gold color with a nice, foamy white head. Decent head retention. The nose is very herbal. No, not with hops, with actual herbs. Lots of rosemary and sage with the thyme and parsley in the back. Light notes of hay and yeast too, abet subdued compared to most saisons. The flavor is a great mix of what I would consider a strong saison and a judicious use of herbs. The flavor is more in your face than a typical saison, but not overwhelming. The sage really comes through and the parsley adds a nice "green" touch. All of those herbal flavors play well with the hay and yeast notes in the saison. Interesting that they chose to filter this one. I would have guessed that leaving the yeast would have added yet another layer of complexity. Still, they have certainly done right with this brew. Light to medium in body with soft carbonation leading to a short, herbal finish. Definitely different for a saison, but well worth seeking out.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
trevor211 (1678) - Seattle, Washington, USA - JUN 15, 2010
This is one crazy brew. If the handwritten note from Sam Calagione silkscreened on the back wasnt enough, an ale brewed with all four of the Scarborough Fair herbs was bound to pique interest. And pique it did. Pours a light, transparent honey amber with a pillowy head. Those herbs are right up front on the nose, adding a kick to an already hoppy saison. Theres a lot of sweetness in the flavor that wasnt apparent in the aroma - a mild honey/caramel note under the pungent herbs. Really intriguing, and very well executed (no surprise, given the three collaborators). Not something Id seek out often, but Im certainly glad I tried it.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
craftycarl21 (2338) - Seattle, Washington, USA - JUN 15, 2010
Pours a slightly hazy golden pour with a decent sized white head. Aroma holds great citrus hop, herbal notes including heavy thyme and rosemary, and that awesome spicy yeast characteristic of a good saison. Flavor is very heavy on the herb, particularly rosemary, along with citrus and more yeast. Great palate, tasty but drinkable. Awesome brew.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
notalush (5836) - Denver, Colorado, USA - JUN 14, 2010
I was hoping that, since Victory had a hand in making this beer, that there would at least be a little respect for the style here - and even if it didnt turn out to be "traditional," I was hoping I would like it none-the-less, considering the fact that I live a lot of saisons that diverge drastically from the style, such as NG Saison, and anything Fantome makes (as long as there was something I like out of a saison within the beer to admire) - sadly, neither of these turned out to be the case - this beer is a god damned travesty - Im not even sure they used an appropriate yeast here, but it doesnt really matter, because all I can taste is a mouthful of muddled herbal character and harsh, aspirin-like bitterness - it tastes like I am chugging a lotion tester at Bath and Body Works at times - rough, crackery malts - characteristic Stone hop flavor actually saves this beer somewhat near the end - take me back to Scarborough Fair.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
jb (3154) - Rochester, New York, USA - JUN 14, 2010
I dont know much about this style and those that claim to seem quite passionate about the style and doing it right. In any event, I found this intriguing, and original. Apricot, bubblegum and pineapple in the nose. Bubbly appearance, thick small bubbled head. Bubble gum body but a rush of hops that surely is not characteristic of saison but of Stone. I liked it for its originality.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
jazz88 (2675) - San Francisco, California, USA - JUN 13, 2010
Bottle. A golden color with a white head. An inviting floral and spiced aroma. A somewhat sweet, herbal, citrus, and spiced flavor with only a touch of the saison barnyard at the finish. Quite nice. Thanks Karen and Thaddeus.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
MartinT (9729) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - JUN 13, 2010
My Bottom Line:
Citrusy herbs and spicy hops evolve into a surprisingly biting finish in this ber-clean and polished New World Saison.

Further Personal Perceptions:
-A sheet of foam tops the misty golden.
-The mouthfeel is too slick and clean to be an authentic Saison; there is no rusticity to be found. Then again, I dont think this was an objective for them.
-The herbal spiciness is multifaceted and could also impersonate coriander, lemongrass, etc.
-The body is relatively light and the flavours are well organized throughout.
-This is redolent of Del Ducatos New Morning Saison, but even that Italian brew has more rusticity to it. This Stone/Victory/DFH collaboration is extremely clean and almost spells out stainless steel, which is awkward for the style.

On tap at Toronado San Diego.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
BMan1113VR (7921) - Los Angeles, California, USA - JUN 13, 2010
Stone bottle (but with Bills spiel on the back). Pours with a nearly clear golden body and a small white head. Aroma of herbs and dryness. A decent amount of grapefruit/herbal hops as well.Thyme and rosemary stand out. Some citrus zest. Taste is bitter and dry. Very bitter. Nice grain and toast aspect. Herbal. Grape skins. Some grassy aspects. Light body, lively, bitter.