overall
RATINGS: 261   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.7/5   SEASONAL: Series   EST. CALORIES: 225   ABV: 7.5%
A new Vertical Epic will be released every year, with the goal being to collect them all and have a Vertical Epic tasting once the final Epic is released on 12/12/12. Each new Stone Vertical Epic Ale will be release one YEAR, one MONTH and one DAY apart. Vertical Epic 02/02/02 was not brewed "to style". Instead, we tried to create something new. It’s triple-ish in nature, with wit character, coriander and orange peel, and has way more hops than either a Belgian triple or a Wit would. Belgian yeast was used. Belgian Strong Ale is the closest category that fits -- Greg Koch, Stone Brewing CEO. In addition, we are pleased to provide the homebrewing recipe: http://stonebrew.com/timeline/020202
In 2002 we began our groundbreaking, millennium-inspired series with Stone 02.02.02 Vertical Epic Ale. This bumped up Belgian-style wit—made all the more alluring thanks to an infusion of orange peel, coriander, a sprinkling of black pepper and a healthy dose of Centennial hops—was a bright way to begin this epic eleven-part vertical tasting.

fly (1487) - austin, Tejas, Texas, USA - NOV 8, 2002
First a ramble inspired by friend .... while we both admire, enjoy, love? Stone, he pointed out the contradictory factor of calling these "vertical" when a true vertical tasting implies the same brew being laid down so that the comparisons come from the subtle or not so subtle changes that have taken place while the styles in this collection are subject to change. As for this specific one - While I enjoyed it, I like the subtle qualities found in a wit, a triple, and a good hoppy beer. This neither overwhelmed me or overly impressed me. Didn't quite enjoy the combination of coriander with the hops. Don't get me wrong, I am and will remain a great fan of Stone and their experiments and you can count me in on trying the next outing, just not this one again, thanks.

Walt (2449) - Austin, Texas, USA - JUN 18, 2006
Pour is deep golden yellow with dense off white head...lots of floasties...smell is butter, alcohol, vanilla, orange...lively mouthfeel...taste is sweet and lightly citric...thick chewy butter scotch-ish finish, but not diacetyl butterscotch....like it was supposed to be there... People say it is going downhill, tastes about the same as I remember...I think it is holding up fine.

3fourths (9358) - Boulder, Colorado, USA - JUN 18, 2006
22oz bottle thanks to Walt. Color is cloudy yellow and orange. Has a juicy nose full of oranges, pineapple and pears, with some alcohol noticed, and some Belgian candy sugar scents. The old fruit flavor is very dominant, but still retains a bit of freshness. No signs of oxidation or questionable storage, very impressive how well it has held up for being so "light". Medium thickness, moderately frothy, a bit sticky. Flavors of creamy oranges and a bit of funk and mold (the good kind) from the yeast is noticed. Chalky but smooth texture in the finish. Only complaint would be a slight hint of fuesal alcohol.