Stone 04.04.04 Vertical Epic Ale

overall

RATINGS: 528   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.59/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 255   ABV: 8.5%
A new Vertical Epic will be released every year, with the goal being to collect them all and have a Vertical Epic tasting once the final Epic is released on 12/12/12. Each new Stone Vertical Epic Ale will be release one YEAR, one MONTH and one DAY apart. This time around we used some unmalted wheat, just the right touch of Kaffir Lime Leaf, and a really cool Belgian yeast. The result is a bit like a strong Biere de Garde / Saison-esque influenced beer coupled with some aromatic Bavarian Hefeweizen style phenolic banana esters, and a backnote hint of lime from the lime leaf.

iwantalambic (1478) - St. Louis, Missouri, USA - APR 30, 2004
Fresh (22 April 2004): dense, creamy icing on top of a crystal clear orange gold. Airy coriander and chalk dust aroma. . . slight hints of yeast and cold sourdough. Well carbonated with small, tight bubbles streaming across the tongue. Peppery lime flavours with some perfume-alcohol and flower petals. The bottom of the bottle has clouded the body significantly. . . the tart citrus notes mix strangely with the dusty yeast – I have mixed feelings about how this one will age – the tart, sour notes may mellow and if they blend just right with the yeast this could be a funky treat. . . we shall see.

SoylentBlack (148) - Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA - APR 29, 2004
It appears these guys can do nothing wrong. Quite a head for a bottled beer. A little sour for my taste, but very good. These comments about aging intrigue me, I may attempt my first.

belgianhomebrew (645) - Acworth, Georgia, USA - APR 27, 2004
Great slightly hopped aroma with a hint of spice. The body is nicely balanced, but I will be interested to see how the spices age. The lime definitely comes through in the finish. Not totally sure what to think yet.

uvajed (188) - Ravenna, Ohio, USA - APR 27, 2004
I don't know quite what to make of this. It poured beautifully, with a thick, off-white head that left distinct lacing, and a wonderfully rich and slightly cloudy golden color. The aroma is pleasantly sweet, reminding me of pears, and a tad spicy. The initial taste was rather shocking, being that all I could think of where bananas covered in pepper. My surprise and confusion subsided quickly and gave way to a feeling of enjoyment and satisfaction as I began to comprehend this brew. This installment of Stone's Vertical Epic really caught me off guard, but I plan to age a bottle or three for 2012, and likely another for a multiple-year sampling sometime before that.

TheBeerGod (6261) - Newport News, Virginia, USA - APR 26, 2004
UPDATED: APR 3, 2005 Pours translucent gold. Small off-white head. Nose is odd. Spice, yeast, more spice and fruit. But there’s a weird dryness to the aroma, if that’s possible. The lime definitely comes through in the taste as do light banana notes. The spice is there and sort of peppery. Yeast and grains don’t fall too far out of the picture. Definitely different. There is definitely sediment at the bottom of my bottle. I know this came up in a recent forum thread, but it’s there. The finish is sweetened citrus with more dryness. Very odd beer. I only got one, right now, so I’m not sure how much I like it. Hopefully some cellar time will do this wonders and mellow it some. I’m up in the air on this one, so to speak.

beerinmarch (2830) - Washington, USA - APR 23, 2004
#550 on my beerwall, much lighter than i expected, nice golded color. Had some spice, maybe cloves? kinda citrusy and acidic tasting, don't know how im goin to wait till 2012 to taste the aged product.

mixamatt (427) - San Francisco, California, USA - APR 21, 2004
Lemon scented geranium aroma.Medium gold appearance.Perfumey rose lemon verbena flavors with banana, bubble gum bread dough flavors emerging as it warms.Long perfumey flowery finish.

WISEGUY572 (1377) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - APR 21, 2004
Pours a crystal clear deep rich gold, with a huge white head and tiny bubbles that last as long as the beer in your glass ... just what a lager would look like in heaven. Nose made me smile ... yeasty beer with lemon? Is someone at Stone playing a joke on me? Will this be lemonade? Taste made me laugh ... they ARE playing with me ... Belgian bready yeasty taste, with German wheat, American hops, and could that be lemon or lime juice? Certainly too much citrus to be just Cascade or Willamette hops. What is this? Time to read the label! Yep ... that sounds right. How would I rate this? I guess I like it a little better than the Omegang equivalent, so it should come out about a 4.0 when I key this in. I like the lime, I like the reduced bready yeastiness, I like the balance.

papajohn (1340) - San Diego (Mira Mesa), California, USA - APR 21, 2004
UPDATED: JUN 30, 2004 Pour is a clear golden amber with a small off white fast fading head. Nose is sweet, flowery (yeasty?) and peppery. The flavor is really complex: A touch of honey, a hint of lime, some light mint leaf. Finish is spicy and kinda dry. Smooth on the palate with a lingering orange peel, minty aftertaste. Unique., but does NOT live up to it's reputation.

jeffc666 (1984) - Fairfax, Virginia, USA - APR 21, 2004
Clear golden body with nice lively carbonation that lasts for a good while. The head is made of fine white particles. The aroma is sweet and biscuity malt and yeast. The flavor is a blast of malt then followed by a good dose of hops and lots of yeast in the finish. There is a defeinte citrus component that I amhaving a hard tome quantifying. Body is medium, finish is dry and crisp. All and all a nice belgian style ale. Should age very nicely.