Stone 04.04.04 Vertical Epic Ale

overall

RATINGS: 528   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.59/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 255   ABV: 8.5%
A new Vertical Epic will be released every year, with the goal being to collect them all and have a Vertical Epic tasting once the final Epic is released on 12/12/12. Each new Stone Vertical Epic Ale will be release one YEAR, one MONTH and one DAY apart. This time around we used some unmalted wheat, just the right touch of Kaffir Lime Leaf, and a really cool Belgian yeast. The result is a bit like a strong Biere de Garde / Saison-esque influenced beer coupled with some aromatic Bavarian Hefeweizen style phenolic banana esters, and a backnote hint of lime from the lime leaf.

NicerInPerson (337) - North of Raleigh, North Carolina, USA - APR 11, 2007
The aroma was fruity with a strong presence of lime (after all these years?). The aroma contained a light sweetness coupled to a wheat presence and a bit of spice. Caramel was also notable, but remained in the background. The beer poured crystal clear golden into the glass with a wispy white head which retreated in an instant but did last enough to lace the glass. The flavor was malty with caramel and a strong presence of the those darn lime leaves (will this stuff ever go away). The flavor had wheat and a tannic tea flavor to boot. The base flavors were good but the lime just did not trip the trigger. The body was medium full and with a moderate level of carbonation was well done. The finish was dry with lasting lime leaves that made me feel like Koala Bear sitting in a tree chewing on eucalyptus leaves. Enough already! 22 ounce bottle.

stubby (334) - Santee, California, USA - APR 8, 2004
Good stuff. So buzzed I can't describe the flavors. Seriously, it's a fine Belgian style, better than the Sawyer's Triple from last year. Nice tartness, with a bit of pine/citrus peel bitterness on the finish. Good balance of sweetness and spice. I like the 030303 better, though.

Perkeo (322) - Portland, Oregon, USA - MAY 7, 2004
Very pale with a golden tint, soft white foam. A confusing array of mild but distinct aromas, it’s a border war between Belgium and Germany with Bannanas fighting oranges a peaches for supremacy. Medium bodied, it sarts soft and marshmallow-y then a hint of orange creeps in, followed by a subtle cherry pie flavor then some lime. Saisontripelweizen of the highest order!

joshpiledean (316) - Seattle, Washington, USA - MAY 30, 2004
Poured cloudy and golden, very small head. Hoppy and fruity nose. Inital pull is smooth and creamy with fruity notes taking up the front. A little hoppy and some light alcohol tones. All in all, very nice.

brewshthereen (316) - Oregon, USA - JUL 29, 2004
Poured dusty yellow with a quickly diminishing white head. Aroma is big and yeasty. Alcohol, pepper, and other spices. Flavor is yeasty, tangy and has somewhat of a liquid soap taste. Also citrus and orange. Not a real hoppy brew more of a peppery bite from the alcohol. Rather syrupy and thick mouthfeel. Seems a bit rough, but it will be interesting to see how it matures.

DewBrewer (294) - Austin, Texas, USA - AUG 11, 2004
Golden color. It didn’t have a big head but it had lots of hop flavor! It was a bit green at that point so I would like to try it again in 6 months to a year. It’s a good beer as I tasted it but I am sure it will improve with aging.

snoot (286) - Anaheim, California, USA - MAY 12, 2004
Clear golden pour, smallish head, but nice lacing. Grassy, citrus aroma. I think I’m tasting the lime in there, and it’s not something I’m really liking. Also, I’m not a big fan of the yeast. It’ll be interesting to see how it mellows...

mreeves (276) - Sammamish, Washington, USA - MAY 10, 2004
Golden color, with decent head and carbonation. Aroma is Belgiany and fresh. Quite a unique aroma and flavor, possibly due to the lime leaves but hard to pin down. One of the best beers I’ve ever had, and considering it’s so young and should age nicely, this could develop into a truly amazing beer.

bdjames29 (273) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - AUG 4, 2006
22 0z. Apparently from the description I wasn’t supposed to drink this beer until 12 / 12 / 12. But I didn’t read that unitl I had opened it and was half way into drinking it. Beautiful color - dull orange / copper - no head though, I even tried to produce a head and not much came around. Sweet malty flavor, I picked up on apricot, perhaps I am sensitve to that aroma because it seems like I pick it out fairly often. A hint of wood, a bit spicey maybe smokey. Delicious beer with a kind of slick, almost oily, medium body. I would give it my recommendation but I’m not sure its even available any longer. A solid Belgian.

FezMonkey (268) - Las Vegas, Nevada, USA - MAY 26, 2004
Crystal clear light golden color with a medium head of tiny bubbles. Aroma of a Hefeweizen. Hints of banana & clove and leaves you with a clean palate.