Stone 04.04.04 Vertical Epic Ale

overall

RATINGS: 528   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.59/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 255   ABV: 8.5%
A new Vertical Epic will be released every year, with the goal being to collect them all and have a Vertical Epic tasting once the final Epic is released on 12/12/12. Each new Stone Vertical Epic Ale will be release one YEAR, one MONTH and one DAY apart. This time around we used some unmalted wheat, just the right touch of Kaffir Lime Leaf, and a really cool Belgian yeast. The result is a bit like a strong Biere de Garde / Saison-esque influenced beer coupled with some aromatic Bavarian Hefeweizen style phenolic banana esters, and a backnote hint of lime from the lime leaf.

BeanDip (117) - Florida, USA - MAY 30, 2004
Thanks again to matta! Now this is more like it. Beautiful golden color - nice white head. Smells like a cross between a nice Belgian Triple and German Hefe. Banana fruit and spicy nose. Flowery. Smooth texture. Mildly bitter bite on the finish but very enjoyable.

Maxamillion (103) - Glendora, California, USA - MAR 3, 2005
Aroma of peach/bananas. Nice and fruity. Pretty well balanced, something alittle tiny bit off but i can’t really pin point it. Lots of peach flavor. Nice and satisfying especially on a warmer day.

MayorQuimby (100) - Santa Barbara, California, USA - DEC 15, 2004
UPDATED: FEB 4, 2006 Bottle. Nice golden color, white head that laced okay. Limey, fruity, estery aroma, very pleasant and I spent a long time sniffing my glass. Flavor is not something that I’d ever expect from Stone, you can really tell that the used unmalted grain in the beer, the lime flavor is a bit overpowering for my taste. Some spices in there too. Lime really comes through in the finish, bottle conditioning makes it very smooth. An interesting beer, I think I’d like to let a few bottles age for a year or so, maybe meld the flavors together a bit and see how it turns out.

Update 2/4/06: I recall Greg saying on a vblog that he particularly enjoyed this one around Thanksgiving, so I decided to crack open one of my remaining bottles. The appearance is still a transparent, bright straw golden color. One-finger white head, good lacing. The lime leaf is much more subdued in the aroma, giving rise to the banana-y esters. Not as pungent as I remember. Sweetness registers early on the front of my tongue, then blends into a slightly tart and spicy finish, presumably due to the wheat and the yeast strain. Bitterness doesn’t seem particularly pronounced (though I didn’t notice much the first time around, either). Balance is outstanding. Bright feeling in the mouth. It leaves a warm, pleasant sensation after each sip, probably the alcohol which is beautifully masked. This is rounding into a delightful brew. I think I’m down to a single bottle now, and considering how wonderful it is right now, I’m not sure how long I’ll hold on. I don’t think my bottle can go the distance, so we’ll have to see what I decide to do.

bierchik (95) - lakewood, California, USA - AUG 27, 2004
interesting brew...hue was golden w/medium-small size head. aroma was fruity, citrusy, and a bit yeasty. taste was some what sweet, in a good way, can taste the banana & some citrusy flavors, this was good, but don’t think i would buy this again.

Hopgeek (90) - San Diego, California, USA - OCT 7, 2004
Light golden to copper color and makes a thin off white head. Aroma is rather lighty malted, hoppy and slightly sweet. Banana esters, coriander spice, hints of orange-lemon-lime citrus, nice even hop/malt balance. Has a sweetness to the finish. Body is medium to full and lightly warms the palate. A fine ale.

black95tt (82) - Doylestown, Ohio, USA - OCT 20, 2006
Spicy aroma with notes of clove and floral hops. Flavor is malty with heavy spice and a somewhat off putting astringency. Slight earthy hops round out the finish Alcohol is noticeable.

Diego (79) - San Diego, California, USA - JUN 19, 2004
Very good ale. Very young. I’m going to buy another bottle and put her in the fridge for the next ten years...Right. Still another nice product from a great beer producing company and town. They’re taking a stab at gimmicks now which isn’t necessarrily uncool just...I don’ see beer drinkers waiting a decade to pop open a brew.

bsour (78) - Boise, Idaho, USA - MAY 24, 2004
Pours a yellow/gold with minimal head. Hoppy aroma that led to a flowery mouthfeel. Some malt hides in the background but now quite enough for a good balance. Finishes with citrus flavors flowing through your mouth.

ragesaq (72) - Arizona, USA - MAY 8, 2005
UPDATED: FEB 4, 2009 Appearance: A touch past golden. White head, moderate lacing. Aroma: Big banana/yeasty/lime leaf aroma, its taste is more subtle. Flavor profile: Creamy malts, smooth almost undetectable hops, a nice kick of beligan yeast, and a banana/lime leaf undertones that come out in the aftertaste. Light and crisp overall, definately worth of the word epic. Palate: Light and crisp as aforementioned, very refresing, heavier than most beers but relatively light for Stone. This beer was nigh perfection. I will miss it greatly.

mardermax (71) - santa cruz, California, USA - MAY 6, 2004
22oz bomber: poured into tulip glass, and can i say whoA BANANAANANAS? a hint of lime too in the aroma/finish. Cloudy light golden pour. and a nice frothy, thick white head. I wish i had started aging Stone’s vertical epic’s since 02.02.02. Tastes of banana maltyness, and a citrus fruity goodness, Slight hops on the finish too. i like it. i want to rate more belgians...