Stone 05.05.05 Vertical Epic Ale

overall

RATINGS: 461   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.72/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 255   ABV: 8.5%
A new Vertical Epic will be released every year, with the goal being to collect them all and have a Vertical Epic tasting once the final Epic is released on 12/12/12. Each new Stone Vertical Epic Ale will be release one YEAR, one MONTH and one DAY apart. This time around, we used no spices in the brewing of this beer. If you've tasted the beer before reading this, that may surprise you. The special Belgian yeast we used adds a distinctively spicy aroma and flavor. Roastiness, clove, hops, fruitiness, and those other great and funky phenols abound in the nose. What's in the flavor? You certainly get some dark roasted malts and alcohol overtones. What else? Hints of earthiness, chocolate/cocoa, hop spiciness, maybe even anise, and ... the incredible variety of complexities from the classic brewing ingredients of barley malt, hops, yeast and water, when applied with an artistic brewer's talent never ceases to amaze.

elektrogeist (158) - Las Vegas, Nevada, USA - JUN 16, 2005
Just picked this one up at the Lee’s, had to give it a whirl. Immediately from opening there is the belgian yeast scent, but the ale itself tastes a bit different. The only reason I didn’t give the flavor a 10 is because it’s brand new, and would probably taste more balanced upon further aging. I guess we’ll just have to wait to see how it changes though. Like all Stone’s brews, a must try.

cigarsnbeer (146) - Valley City, North Dakota, USA - JUL 7, 2005
Strange...I wouldn’t expect this from Stone, I thinks an American take on the Belgian Strong Ale. Fruity and peppery through out, with a cigar tobacco aftertaste, REALLY complex!

3daddict (139) - Portland, Maine, USA - AUG 7, 2005
Dark brown ruddy pour with quickly vanishing head. Has all the scents, looks and taste of a fine Belgium beer, minch meat with a graham cracker crust. But what really took me was the smoothness and lack of undue carbonation that most of these beers demonstrate. We are teased off the label about cellaring this release but it is an undue concern since they nailed it. This is perfect right off the shelf as is!

cvillebeer (134) - Charlottesville, Virginia, USA - JUN 7, 2005
I have been looking forward to this myself and I am glad that i am not dissapointed. Pours a deep crimson-brown with a tall head that dissipates to a thin bead. The aroma is strongly yeasty with scents of alcohol, chocolate, spice and citrus. Isn’t it amazing what a yeast strain can do? the flavor is similar but with a hoppy-bitter undertone and finishes mostly dry. Since this is intentionally brewed to be aged, being a bit out of balance is expected and while the bitterness is not overpowering, it does seem out of place in a beer like this, but that should fade and mellow with age. There is a little alcohol burn as well that hopefully will blend in better as well. A fine ale with a promising future.

chargerfanjess (129) - San Diego, California, USA - JAN 10, 2006
The special Belgian yeast was the KEY It really did add a distinctively spicy aroma and flavor which was incredible. Roastiness, clove, hops, fruitiness, and those other great and funky phenols characterized this beer exactly like the description.Dark roasted malts and alcohol overtones, hints of earthiness, chocolate/cocoa, hop spiciness, describe the structure of this great cervesa!

nahthan (129) - Oakland, California, USA - JUN 30, 2006
I bought two when I saw this on the shelf last October. The first I remember being quite hoppy and very double-IPA like. I’m glad I waited to open the 2nd until now. A nice spicy marriage between the alcohol and hop flavors - a hint of clove, plum, toffee, dried apricot and slight mango. Very clean alcohol flavors. Nice citrusy and piney hop bitterness that has mellowed out and a bit in the background by now. I think it would taste even better a year from now. I should have bought three. Absolutely delicious.

giarcsr (104) - San Diego, California, USA - MAY 9, 2005
I’m thinking this probably isn’t the best beer to be rating three or four days after it’s release. I think this beer would be better off after a few years or so. Anyways, it is a decent darkish beer with a solid aroma, and very belgian like in a lot of ways. It is a lot better then last years release, which is good, but I would say that this is a step above the the regular releases from stone. Hopefully I’ll remember to rerate this in a few years when I crack open one of the few bottles I got.

MayorQuimby (100) - Santa Barbara, California, USA - MAY 21, 2005
Bottle. Dark ruby brown color, relatively opaque, thin white head that left no lacing behind. First pour had no head retention, but the head stuck around for the second glass. Aroma is dominated by some dark fruits, very phenolic, and a lot of alcohol in the nose. Maybe a hint of yeastiness hiding behind all of that, though it was difficult to pick up. Flavor is mostly dark malts (roasty and chocolatey) and frutiness, spicy, and a deep alcohol burn in the finish. Carbonation is a bit bubbly in the mouth, but that should fade with age, body isn’t too heavy but there’s enough to hold up the complexities in the flavor. This and the 04 VE are interesting brews (for lack of a more precise term, maybe curious is the word I’m looking for), this is a lot more complex than the 04 was in December (though both are still quite young). Nothing exceptional, but certainly unique. It needs time in the cellar, though I am looking forward to see how it melds with age.

t4h2c0 (96) - seattle, Washington, USA - JUL 22, 2008
Man, maybe I aged my bottle poorly becasue it was not good in my opinion. After over two years of aging I was excitied to taste it after aging. What a disappointment. Poured dark redish brown with a thick white head. The poor balance of the beer threw my palate off right away, tasted like a funky belgian beer. I don’t understand why Stone is using a Belgian Yeast in beers that are supposed to age up to ten years. Well, i guess i’ll just have to let my next 05’ age even longer and see what happens.

chadzter (94) - huntsville, Alabama, USA - JAN 28, 2006
Great Beer. Pours with a thick head that thins ot to a dark brown tan color. The beer has a very dark brown color most likely from the chocolate which also gives it a strong sweet chocolate aroma. It has a very smooth and creamy texture. I thought the hops added to this beer giving it a bit of bitterness at the end.