Stone 05.05.05 Vertical Epic Ale

overall

RATINGS: 455   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.72/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 255   ABV: 8.5%
A new Vertical Epic will be released every year, with the goal being to collect them all and have a Vertical Epic tasting once the final Epic is released on 12/12/12. Each new Stone Vertical Epic Ale will be release one YEAR, one MONTH and one DAY apart. This time around, we used no spices in the brewing of this beer. If you've tasted the beer before reading this, that may surprise you. The special Belgian yeast we used adds a distinctively spicy aroma and flavor. Roastiness, clove, hops, fruitiness, and those other great and funky phenols abound in the nose. What's in the flavor? You certainly get some dark roasted malts and alcohol overtones. What else? Hints of earthiness, chocolate/cocoa, hop spiciness, maybe even anise, and ... the incredible variety of complexities from the classic brewing ingredients of barley malt, hops, yeast and water, when applied with an artistic brewer's talent never ceases to amaze.

AlphaOmega (8) - USA - MAY 30, 2005 does not count
This by far is not only one of the best in the Stone Vertical Epic series, but in my opinion, one of Stone’s best brews by far. To date, 05.30.05, I have purchased more of this special edition brew than I have any other Stone product combined. And for someone who consumes on average 4 - 8 Stone products a month... well... do the math. I’ve had to hit up several liquor stores looking for this as I have seemed to run all the others out of this very fine Vertical Epic 05.05.05. My description of the Vertical is... it starts of as a very fine "Black & Tan" if you can imagine that. Sort of sweet and champainy like with a very fine bubble structure... then the hops hit you... not in a harsh way though... very smooth... kind of creaps up on you... and oh yes... the taste of alcohol is definately there... but once again, very smooth... like a bottle of fine wine. This years Vertical Epic is a definate must do... that is if you can find it still. If I find it in a liquor store near you first... you’re S.O.L!
Earlier Rating: 5/30/2005 Total Score: 5

noelcb (271) - Toledo, Ohio, USA - JUN 7, 2005
This one came with a ton of expectations and didn’t dissappoint. It poured a beautiful near-black, like soft licorice when it’s pulled apart. Nice tan head, full and durable, with good lacing. Aromas were fruit, fruit, fruit. Apricots, cherries, apples, figs, raisins, licorice, cloves, nutmeg, coffee, bread, green peppers. Whew! Taste was WOW! Big hit of smoke morphs to malt heaven then makes room for pear, applequince, even avacado. Lots of fantastic hop bitterness, complimented by the fruit sweetness. The malts were toasty, chocolatety, creamy and smoky -- the best malt presence I’ve tasted. Finish is malt, smoke, peat, earth, and hops. Mouthfeel was perfect -- at no time did it seem too thick or too thin. It was perfectly carbonated. I know all 5s leaves no room for improvement and this ale is meant to be kept until 12-12-2012 and if it’s going to get even better, well I’m going to get more and save it. The Stone Brewing Company made one happy beer drinker today. if you haven’t already, go get yourself 2 -- drink one and save one for 2012!

GreatLibations (1854) - Last Supper, Arizona, USA - JAN 19, 2006
UPDATED: FEB 12, 2007 It’s a dark, strong ale that explodes on the palate. Full nectar with flavors of spicey hops and slightly sweetend meaty earth. A well seasoned porterhouse steak in a blender would be an accurate discription of this very hearty brew. Alcohol is well hidden. Well balanced to boot. Like a good woman it left me with nothing to be desired. This is my first in the series so I can’t compare to previous vintages. One of my all time favorites. Thoroughly enjoyed and highly recomended.

tennisjoel (1487) - Rochester, Minnesota, USA - OCT 1, 2005
Dark red beautiful color. Chocolate and caramel stands out and is balanced well with the belgian yeast. Nice off-white head. Excellent lacing. Nice rich and complex beer. Another winner from Stone!

specksnreds (55) - USA - JUN 18, 2008
A friend opened it as we boiled his latest home brew. Flawless after three years. Every flavor is incorporated perfectly. From the prunes at the beginning, to the cocoa and clove finish. A perfect lacy head. No too boozy. As close to perfect as I’ve had. Not much bitterness.

jisaza (2) - New York City, New York, USA - DEC 25, 2005 does not count
medium bitterness, medium sourness, full body, creamy, lively, long finish, Great beer, highly recommen it.