Stone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic Ale

overall

RATINGS: 790   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.55/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 252   ABV: 8.4%
In this years edition we took our inspiration from two Belgian styles: Saisons and Golden Triples. As such, the Stone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic has a deep, deep golden hue and the flavor is spicy, fruity, complex and refreshing. We used four different malts, and a subtle, yet distinct, blend of Glacier and Crystal hops to get just the right balance. Then, for the complexity, we added in some exotic spices --- including ginger, cardamom, grapefruit peel, lemon peel and orange peel (the latter three acknowledging our Southern California home) --- and a special Belgian yeast strain. All in all this is yet another case of us drawing from classic Belgian influences and cavalierly making it our own...San Diego style!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
cewldre (268) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - JUN 24, 2007
Bottle: This one pours a nice amber color, with a small white head. Smell is incredibly yeasty, with citrus and orange smell in it. I also smell just a hint of banana. Taste is a little thicker on the banana side, but I also notice a nice maltiness to it. As I continue to drink, you can taste a bit of yeastiness. The alcohol is a tad hot, but should mellow out in time.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
FezMonkey (268) - Las Vegas, Nevada, USA - AUG 3, 2007
Opaque golden color with a average sized white head. Aromas of bananas and grapefruit as well as malts. Complex fruit flavors and a nice clean aftertaste. I need a few more of these jems.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
kevin62 (267) - New Jersey, USA - JUL 14, 2007
Poured a copper color with a small white head.Spicy and fruity aroma as wellas malt.The most overpowering flavor was the orange,with some hints of pepper.Not bad

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
hoppopotamus (260) - Santa Cruz, California, USA - MAY 22, 2008
A golden clear beer with a small white head that doesnt last. Aroma is spice dominated with belgian yeasty notes. The flavor is so overwhelmingly spicy it hardly tastes like beer. I guess I missed the first instalments, but I probably wont get around to giving this another chance in 4 years.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 10/20
skibumphishead (259) - Massachusetts, USA - JUL 18, 2007
22 shared with brie at the hadley beach. This is inspired by Saisons and Triples. This pours, smells, and looks like a red saision. The flavors are fruity and acidic. The mouthfeel and mild sourness remind me of Hennepin. This was very refreshing and easy to drink on a hot day.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
TampaBeer (257) - Tampa, Florida, USA - OCT 12, 2007
Pleasant flavor and aroma of spice, with appropriate sweetness. certainly didnt knock my socks of - dont know if it would be worth waiting five years to drink this one..

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
bbp182 (255) - Levittown, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 2, 2007
It has an amber color with a nice head. Goes away quickly. You can smell the alcohol along with ginger. Almost smells like a ginger ale soda. Oh...my...god... this has so much flavor! My mouth cant even begin to describe. Ginger is the most present, then the alcohol comes in to play. Fruity/Grapefruit aftertaste. Im def. going to age one. Hopefully I can last 5 years...

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Jvittorio4187 (255) - Boardman, Ohio, USA - JUN 30, 2007
Pours a deep amber with a one finger white head. Very spicy and and sweet one the nose. Taste of tons of spice, including, ginger, orange, lemon and maybe coriander? Finish is spicy and sweet. Not crazy about this one.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
dwedin (249) - Happy Valley, Oregon, USA - NOV 11, 2007
Clear light amber color with lasting white head some lacing. A bit of small bits of yeast floating. Aromas of coriander, hint of banana, clove, with a little toasted malt in the background. Thicker body than I expected, high carbonation. At first very sweet but finishes dry and a little sour bitterness. Enjoyable now but wonder what it will taste like in 5 years.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
norsedoc (248) - Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 15, 2007
Pours clear golden honey colored. Mildly sweet. Tastes of honey, orange, and spice. Little hop presence. A little disappointed. Maybe it needs 5 years.