Stone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic Ale

overall

RATINGS: 787   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.55/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 252   ABV: 8.4%
In this year’s edition we took our inspiration from two Belgian styles: Saisons and Golden Triples. As such, the Stone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic has a deep, deep golden hue and the flavor is spicy, fruity, complex and refreshing. We used four different malts, and a subtle, yet distinct, blend of Glacier and Crystal hops to get just the right balance. Then, for the complexity, we added in some exotic spices --- including ginger, cardamom, grapefruit peel, lemon peel and orange peel (the latter three acknowledging our Southern California home) --- and a special Belgian yeast strain. All in all this is yet another case of us drawing from classic Belgian influences and cavalierly making it our own...San Diego style!

raiderfost (170) - virginia beach, Virginia, USA - DEC 27, 2007
Pours a clear copper with a off white head and decent lacing. Not somthing i expect from stone. One of the better belguim strong ales i have had but i tink i will have to buy another to lay down.

bryandhargrave (165) - Richmond, Virginia, USA - JUN 30, 2007
Beautiful pour. perfect head. perfect opacity and colouring. lots of spices. taste very holiday. wish i had the patience to let it sit a little longer than 15 seconds before consuming.

jmcguire1969 (162) - Lafayette, Colorado, USA - JUL 20, 2007
This is an interesting beer with ton’s of flavors that will certainly age with time. Another will have to sit in th barchive for a while to see how this one ages. Not much of a head on this one. Appears to have chill haze as well so taking off for that. The one thing that jumps out at you that I’m not really sure that I like is an herbal flavor...I can’t quite pin it down...ever taste Avery 12th anniversary ale?...it’s the same flavor. I love these big hoppy saisons with interesting yeast strains and adjuncts...keep’em coming!!

Frauditor (160) - Hagerstown, Maryland, USA - DEC 8, 2007
Bottle, opened to mark the birth of my nephew Wyatt.. shared with a friend in sharpsburg. a wonderful citrus aroma filled the room once poured into the glasses. little to medium head that disapated soon after. the flavor was sweet - picked up on bananas, pineapple, orange and apple fruits, malt flavor came in near the end, which was a nice follow-up to the sweetness. smooth on the palate with light, tingly bubbles. can’t wait for the 080808.

biggenius29 (155) - Hamilton, Michigan, USA - AUG 19, 2007
22oz bottle poured into a Trappist glass. Pours crystal clear amber with a large white frothy head. The head sticks around for along time but it leaves no lacing. The aroma is of corriander, by the aroma you would think it is a wit. Taking a drink the first taste i get is some corriander, followed by the belgian yeast. There is a little caramel malt in there. For the finish there is little to no bitterness from the hops. There is a slight finish of corriander. The body is medium to full with a creamy texture and soft carbonation. Overall I was actually not impressed with this. To me it seemed to much like a wit and I wonder how it will hold up for 5 years, I bought another bottle to try at 12-12-12

BossHossBikes (148) - California, USA - FEB 25, 2008
Bottle. Cracked open a bottle with Nachlamsie that I’ve been aging for about seven months now. I had this before I started rating. I thought it was way too spicy. It seems to be agreed upon both of us that this beer aged is much better. The spices aren’t completely overbearing as it was fresh. To the nose, it has a warm spicy aroma with a good deal of sweetness. To the tongue, it’s still pretty viscous. The flavour is way more laid back. Spices are a nice mix with some caramelized apple. The finish has a light, spicy bitterness. I’m not much into spiced beers, but this isn’t so bad.

tangentrider (144) - Alabama, USA - AUG 1, 2007
Amber, orange ale with a fruity, flowery aroma. The light amber head disappears. The flavor is a bit medicinal, unfortunately. It is interesting, but a bit odd.

DragonsHead (142) - Morgantown, West Virginia, USA - FEB 8, 2008
Lacking the flavor of the other stone products. I just want it to be gone. low flavor, but still a good strong ale. aroma almost gone after opening; not a bad beer overall though...

jonnabrix (137) - Newberrytown, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 29, 2007
I wouldn’t describe this as a great Belgian Strong Ale, but I really enjoyed this. It is malty with spice, some bitter citrus, and yeast.

cbrixius (136) - Newberrytown, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 28, 2007
22 oz. bomber. Poured a dark gold witha slight white head. Noticeably spicy with an about even fruit mix. Semi-sweet finish with an nice moutheel.