Stone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic Ale

overall

RATINGS: 787   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.55/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 252   ABV: 8.4%
In this year’s edition we took our inspiration from two Belgian styles: Saisons and Golden Triples. As such, the Stone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic has a deep, deep golden hue and the flavor is spicy, fruity, complex and refreshing. We used four different malts, and a subtle, yet distinct, blend of Glacier and Crystal hops to get just the right balance. Then, for the complexity, we added in some exotic spices --- including ginger, cardamom, grapefruit peel, lemon peel and orange peel (the latter three acknowledging our Southern California home) --- and a special Belgian yeast strain. All in all this is yet another case of us drawing from classic Belgian influences and cavalierly making it our own...San Diego style!

bikeclj (27) - Virginia, USA - JAN 13, 2013
Gold rose in color with haze. Banana nose and taste rich and full body. Taste ginger and citrus more orange than grapefruit with slight cherry super smooth touch of spice ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

dwyerpg (6413) - Las Vegas, Nevada, USA - JUL 8, 2007
Well, I like this. Has the faint subtle spice aromas of saison with a little creaminiess in the head. The flavor is spicy and smooth, with a full finish, but never letting the alcohol dominate. One of the best of the series so far. Great.

bbp182 (255) - Levittown, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 2, 2007
It has an amber color with a nice head. Goes away quickly. You can smell the alcohol along with ginger. Almost smells like a ginger ale soda. Oh...my...god... this has so much flavor! My mouth can’t even begin to describe. Ginger is the most present, then the alcohol comes in to play. Fruity/Grapefruit aftertaste. I’m def. going to age one. Hopefully I can last 5 years...

Orion1800 (53) - Piedmont, California, USA - SEP 11, 2007
This big belgian style beer is fantastic. It reminds me a little of a wit beer, but also of a bock. I feel like they captured the essence of the syle without mimicking any one variety. A beautiful beer. Truly epic

tcon25 (941) - Duvall, Washington, USA - FEB 5, 2015
Draft pour at Stone library station. Amazing beer. Golden pour, sweet aroma, 7 years of age and it still taste fresh.

xenthem0nk (101) - Oregon, USA - JUL 5, 2007
Pours light amber, tall fluffy head, nose is full of candy, light fruits, banana, white sugar, and more candy. Flavor is not like the nose, wishing it was. Ginger right off the bat, orange peel, hoppy, and achohol bite toward the end. Mouth feel was a bit sharp and seemingly carbonated, didnt smooth out with room temp. But I would drink it again, still a damn good brew from stone.

walter (359) - Staunton, Virginia, USA - JUL 8, 2007
22oz bottle. Orange/gold color with white head that fades quickly. Very balanced nose of spice (can’t say I know cardamom real well, I get fresh nutmeg) and citrus peel, with some faint yeast underneath-- Christmas in July! The citrus peel is very distinct and fresh, quite nice. A yeast bite comes through in the flavor and balances the finish nicely. Smooth and creamy, with the alcohol making itself known in the background. Shows remarkable restraint for a Stone brew. Man, this is tasty.

ragesaq (72) - Arizona, USA - JUL 13, 2007
Deep rich delicious golden Belgian very reminiscent of the Stone 040404. No banana but still the excellent Belgian tripple yeast, and instead of lime leaf you get a more mild broader fruity mix. Less coriander, but the mix of ginger and cardamom gives a similar sweetness. I previously said the Stone 040404 was the best beer I ever had, I think the Stone 070707 just beat it. Its going to be hard to resist drinking these.

obxdude10 (2374) - Pottstown, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 23, 2007
Pours a dark golden color, very minimal off-white head, not much lacing, nose full of sweet notes including grapefruit, light hops, sugar & spices, medium-full body, very sweet & complex flavors, very drinkable & smooth, flavors of ginger, grapefruit, yeast, light hops & cinamon, very sweet finish, excellently balanced, spicy finish, fantastic beer

GreenDragon (219) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - JUN 25, 2008
Pours a cloudy yellow-orange with almost no head. Syrupy thick body. Fruity aroma with some hops, malt and candy. Hoppy bitter taste giving way to an amazingly flavorful sharp fruity taste. Sweet malty and spicy notes. Absolutely amazing. Warm thick body with a great lingering taste, makes my mouth water.