Stone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic Ale

overall

RATINGS: 791   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.55/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 252   ABV: 8.4%
In this year’s edition we took our inspiration from two Belgian styles: Saisons and Golden Triples. As such, the Stone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic has a deep, deep golden hue and the flavor is spicy, fruity, complex and refreshing. We used four different malts, and a subtle, yet distinct, blend of Glacier and Crystal hops to get just the right balance. Then, for the complexity, we added in some exotic spices --- including ginger, cardamom, grapefruit peel, lemon peel and orange peel (the latter three acknowledging our Southern California home) --- and a special Belgian yeast strain. All in all this is yet another case of us drawing from classic Belgian influences and cavalierly making it our own...San Diego style!

kmweaver (3207) - Petaluma, California, USA - JUN 29, 2007
22oz bottle, courtesy of Schutzenliesel. Thanks, Tom! Pours a hazy, yellowish-orange color; off-white head that quickly fades. Brown sugar and chewy esters in the aroma, slightly dry and spicy. Medium-to-full, chewy mouthfeel: esters and plenty of warm spices (white pepper, coriander) and candy sugar; a bit too sweet right now, and unsettled; this should balance out with some age (one would hope). Lengthy, sugary and brown sugar finish.

Jvittorio4187 (255) - Boardman, Ohio, USA - JUN 30, 2007
Pours a deep amber with a one finger white head. Very spicy and and sweet one the nose. Taste of tons of spice, including, ginger, orange, lemon and maybe coriander? Finish is spicy and sweet. Not crazy about this one.

argo0 (14127) - Washington DC, USA - JUL 8, 2007
(22oz bottle) Crystal clear apple juice body topped by small white head. Aroma is moderately sweet, perfume/orange, apricot, clove. Taste is moderately sweet, orange, apricot, clove, some perfume, light grassy. Very dry finish. Medium-full body, some acidity.

hayden1215 (319) - Ohio, USA - JUL 13, 2007
Clear copper color with medium fizzy white head, mostly lasting with good lacing. Aroma is spice, cloves with malty notes. Flavor is sweet and spicy. Dry finish, alcohol present.

jmcguire1969 (162) - Lafayette, Colorado, USA - JUL 20, 2007
This is an interesting beer with ton’s of flavors that will certainly age with time. Another will have to sit in th barchive for a while to see how this one ages. Not much of a head on this one. Appears to have chill haze as well so taking off for that. The one thing that jumps out at you that I’m not really sure that I like is an herbal flavor...I can’t quite pin it down...ever taste Avery 12th anniversary ale?...it’s the same flavor. I love these big hoppy saisons with interesting yeast strains and adjuncts...keep’em coming!!

drewbeerme (3920) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - JUL 28, 2007
thanks xnoxhatex. pours out of a 22oz bottle clear golden with white head. nose is yeasty, lime, citrus, coriander, and cloves. flavor is cloves, lime, yeasty, citrus, and bready. finishes crisp and slightly medcinal. similar to 04.04.04. not pulled off well. i’m beginning to think i don’t like the vertical epic yeast strains.

ksigty (107) - Scottsdale, Arizona, USA - AUG 8, 2007
Tried this on tap at the brewery. It is interesting. It definitely needs some time to mature. There is an acidic fruit taste mashed together with hops for another bite. It mellows out on the pallate but I thought it would be better, I guess I’ll just have to wait a couple more years to try it again.

luv2brew (196) - Chesterfield, Virginia, USA - AUG 10, 2007
This one pours a deep orange with a clean white head that fades fast. The nose comes across as a typical beligian with cloves, candy sugar, and some noticeable spices such as coriander. and maybe some orange peel. I was expecting something else, so this is kind of a shock. It’s not bad, but I can get a kasteel somewhere anytime and I think the Kasteel would be better. It’s very good, and nothing to be ashamed of, but I’m not sure if this one will age as well as the 6-6-06, but we will see

kkearn (1165) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 11, 2007
bottle. Pours golden-orange, with a moderate sized off-white head. Spice is the predominant aroma, with cardamom, orange peel, ginger, herbs and some yeast in the background. Flavor is overly sweet at first, then the yeast and spice hit the tongue. finishes with an odd spice flavor, and some warming alcohol. I enjoyed the previous VE’s more. I’ll have to revisit this one later to see if it improves with time.

00cobraR (1103) - Greensboro, North Carolina, USA - AUG 17, 2007
I was rather disappointed in this one. it smelled rather good, but the taste killed it for me. It was missing what i have come to expect from a belgian strong and stone for that matter. maybe some age could do this beer some good.