overall
RATINGS: 968   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.67/5   SEASONAL: Series   IBU: 45   EST. CALORIES: 267   ABV: 8.9%
In 2008, Stone Brewmasters Steve Wagner and Mitch Steele traveled to Belgium, where they enjoyed a number of hop-forward Belgian tripels, pale ales and IPAsbeers that had taken a cue from the U.S. craft brewing movement and inspired us in return. Its a big reason 2008s summer season came to be known at Stone as our Summer of the Triple. Upon their return, they crafted Stone 08.08.08 Vertical Epic Ale, the seventh beer in the 11-beer Stone Vertical Epic Ale series. Packed with floral, spicy essence from Belgian yeast plus plenty of hoppy New World character, its our West Coast take on hop-driven Belgian beers.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
502Che (999) - @, CAMBODIA - NOV 18, 2008
bomber. Unique brew cloves, wheat, banana, and some earthy hops. Weird mouth feel warm and coating/lingering on palate but yet a dry finish (seems kind of contradictory). Good, unique and not at all what I expected. This tastes like an imperial wheat beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
urbnhautebourg (997) - Annapolis, Maryland, USA - AUG 18, 2008
I am not sure that I see the point in aging this beer. It would, I think, only dull the remarkably fresh character of the hops. I found that the flavor of peach predominates in my sample of this beer, which I really liked. I noticed that, for a moment, the beer seems to want to end sour and ultra dry, but then it seems to turn away from this sort of finish. Good thing, too. All of that wonderful light peachiness would be ill-served by such an ending. The mildly bitter finish with lingering fruit is much, much better. Great stuff.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
FoolishMortal (990) - San Diego, California, USA - SEP 10, 2008
22oz bottle. Slightly hazy golden orange color with a small white head. Appley malt and bubblegum ester meet a floral and citric hop character in the aroma. Candied citrus hop flavors dominate up front. Sugarly apple juice malt character peer through. Tinges of phenolic spice mark transition to the finish. Vestiges of hops combine with bubblegum and dusty yeast characters in the finish. Mouthfeel is medium, slightly drying and hot.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
BeerBelcher (972) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - AUG 27, 2008
This beer struck me as being quite like a tripel; but not an exceptional one. I enjoyed it quite a bit - it was spiced, mild mannered, and maybe a little more complex than is the norm in American-made tripels or Belgian golden ales, but I didn’t find it to be anything spectacular. Color was a gold/dark yellow with modest head and minimal lacing. Aroma was quite a bit hoppier than other Belgian style beers I’ve had, and had the requisite clove/coriander spiciness. The hops also drove flavor, which was a fair bit more complex than other beers of this style. Mouthfeel was a bit thick without losing its refreshingness. Pretty good. I would recommend this beer. I bought this bottle at Discount Liquor in Milwaukee.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
KUEric (967) - Scottsdale, Arizona, USA - NOV 14, 2010
A great beer. Cloudy orange in color. Not a hige head, but its white and slightly fluffy. Pretty malty in the nose. Had some belgian yeast, spices in the flavor.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
BeerBunker (965) - Burbank, Illinois, USA - SEP 27, 2008
Pours golden with a white head. Aroma was very inviting with hops, fruit, alcohol, bread, and spice. Taste was even more inviting. First, you are taken in by the delicious taste of fruit and bread backed by delicious hops. Then you get the taste of sugars, slight citrus, and malt. A lingering alcohol warmness finishes it all off. I got more than I expected out of this beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Nena (963) - Seattle, Washington, USA - NOV 15, 2009
Poured a pale orange with a thin white head. Aroma is very nice, with a lot of fruitiness along with grassy and earthy hop. Apple and pearlike aromas were most noticable to me. Flavor is spicy yeast, a bit of the aforementioned fruitiness, and a lot of alcohol. The alcohol seemed too harsh for the flavors to me. It seemed to drown out a lot of the better things I was expecting from the aroma. I didnt care for this one nearly as much as I did for 09.09.09.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
HighWine (959) - Whalezbro, Illinois, USA - DEC 16, 2012
Bottle to Chimay glass. Honey colored pour with barely a trace of head. Aroma is faded hops. Sweet flavor of golden brown sugar, and light corn syrup. Enough hops remain for it to be balanced and even leave a nice bitter aftertaste. I think this one has held up exceptionally well. Very enjoyable.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Brouwerij (959) - Boulder, Colorado, USA - SEP 7, 2013
Pours a slightly hazy orange with quickly settling white head, no lacing. Aroma is floral, fruity, sweet, apricot, peach, with a mild hoppiness. Flavor is also quite sweet, fruity, peach/apricot, citrus and floral hops, spice, mild alcohol in the finish. Mildly herbal, bitter, fruity aftertaste. Soft carbonation, medium-light body, and mildly juicy texture. Seems to have cellared quite nicely. A good belgian.

LooseCannon (938) - Norfolk, Virginia, USA - AUG 31, 2008
22oz bottle. Pours clear golden in color with white head. Aroma spicey and citrus hops. Taste spicey, fruity and lemon with dry finsih.