overall
RATINGS: 973   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.67/5   SEASONAL: Series   IBU: 45   EST. CALORIES: 267   ABV: 8.9%
In 2008, Stone Brewmasters Steve Wagner and Mitch Steele traveled to Belgium, where they enjoyed a number of hop-forward Belgian tripels, pale ales and IPAs—beers that had taken a cue from the U.S. craft brewing movement and inspired us in return. It’s a big reason 2008’s summer season came to be known at Stone as our “Summer of the Triple.” Upon their return, they crafted Stone 08.08.08 Vertical Epic Ale, the seventh beer in the 11-beer Stone Vertical Epic Ale series. Packed with floral, spicy essence from Belgian yeast plus plenty of hoppy New World character, it’s our West Coast take on hop-driven Belgian beers.

fraternie (1011) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - NOV 20, 2008
Golden, transparent body. Very yeasty throughout with a huge blast of hops and bitterness through the finish. Refreshing flavors of citrus- grapefruit, banana and light malt. Nicely balanced with a strong hop presence.

jmm635 (1009) - Havertown, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 23, 2011
Poured hazy golden color with a lacy white head. Yeast, spices, and orange peel on the nose. Highly bitter, dry, and aggresively hopped. Exactly what you might expect from a Stone-produced Belgian beer.

pnista (1007) - Bloomington, Indiana, USA - AUG 18, 2008
Pours a clear pale yellow with a bigish foamy, quickly descending head. The nose is full of hops and fruit and alcohol and bubblegum. Light syrup sweetness over an otherwise dry body. Straw and bigger juicy hops, making more astringency than tropical fruit. Creamy lighter body, with higher carbonation. There’s spicy belgianness to this, but even more so big old American hops, giving this something very fruity and spicy to peppery. Some wheaty esters. Some herbal hop notes for sure too. Straw. Alcohol. Not a ton of sweetness, which is nice. Lingering peppery finish. A big creamy in the finish. My second favorite of the series after 05.05.05.

hapjydeuce (1001) - Carlsbad, California, USA - SEP 8, 2008
Bottled. Brilliant yellow-gold color with fizzy carbonation and a developing rocky white head. Sweet malty aroma with a sappy, hoppy bite. Ginger spice and a bit of grapefruit citrus follow. Flavor leans sweet with some clove and mango tones above the malty tripel base, finishing crisp and bitter. Tastes pretty good fresh, not sure what this will be like in a few years. Reminds me of Signature Ale.

Naven (1000) - Poway, California, USA - AUG 10, 2008
Surprisingly pale golden color. Nice, spicy, hoppy nose. Taste is really nice, much as you would expect, a nice flavor of Belgian candy up front, with a bitter hoppy finish. I got a nice blast of simcoe from this one. I am pleasantly surprised. Probably the best Vertical Epic I have had thus far.

502Che (999) - @, CAMBODIA - NOV 18, 2008
bomber. Unique brew – cloves, wheat, banana, and some earthy hops. Weird mouth feel – warm and coating/lingering on palate but yet a dry finish (seems kind of contradictory). Good, unique and not at all what I expected. This tastes like an imperial wheat beer.

urbnhautebourg (997) - Annapolis, Maryland, USA - AUG 18, 2008
I am not sure that I see the point in aging this beer. It would, I think, only dull the remarkably fresh character of the hops. I found that the flavor of peach predominates in my sample of this beer, which I really liked. I noticed that, for a moment, the beer seems to want to end sour and ultra dry, but then it seems to turn away from this sort of finish. Good thing, too. All of that wonderful light peachiness would be ill-served by such an ending. The mildly bitter finish with lingering fruit is much, much better. Great stuff.

FoolishMortal (990) - San Diego, California, USA - SEP 10, 2008
22oz bottle. Slightly hazy golden orange color with a small white head. Appley malt and bubblegum ester meet a floral and citric hop character in the aroma. Candied citrus hop flavors dominate up front. Sugarly apple juice malt character peer through. Tinges of phenolic spice mark transition to the finish. Vestiges of hops combine with bubblegum and dusty yeast characters in the finish. Mouthfeel is medium, slightly drying and hot.

KUEric (976) - Scottsdale, Arizona, USA - NOV 14, 2010
A great beer. Cloudy orange in color. Not a hige head, but its white and slightly fluffy. Pretty malty in the nose. Had some belgian yeast, spices in the flavor.

BeerBelcher (972) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - AUG 27, 2008
This beer struck me as being quite like a tripel; but not an exceptional one. I enjoyed it quite a bit - it was spiced, mild mannered, and maybe a little more complex than is the norm in American-made tripels or Belgian golden ales, but I didn’t find it to be anything spectacular. Color was a gold/dark yellow with modest head and minimal lacing. Aroma was quite a bit hoppier than other Belgian style beers I’ve had, and had the requisite clove/coriander spiciness. The hops also drove flavor, which was a fair bit more complex than other beers of this style. Mouthfeel was a bit thick without losing its refreshingness. Pretty good. I would recommend this beer. I bought this bottle at Discount Liquor in Milwaukee.