overall
RATINGS: 973   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.67/5   SEASONAL: Series   IBU: 45   EST. CALORIES: 267   ABV: 8.9%
In 2008, Stone Brewmasters Steve Wagner and Mitch Steele traveled to Belgium, where they enjoyed a number of hop-forward Belgian tripels, pale ales and IPAs—beers that had taken a cue from the U.S. craft brewing movement and inspired us in return. It’s a big reason 2008’s summer season came to be known at Stone as our “Summer of the Triple.” Upon their return, they crafted Stone 08.08.08 Vertical Epic Ale, the seventh beer in the 11-beer Stone Vertical Epic Ale series. Packed with floral, spicy essence from Belgian yeast plus plenty of hoppy New World character, it’s our West Coast take on hop-driven Belgian beers.

greenhorn1 (850) - Mission Viejo, California, USA - SEP 4, 2008
22 oz bottle. Pours a clear golden color with a creamy head. Big aroma of banana, spices, and fruity. Flavor is similiar with addition of pepper. Creamy mouthfeel. Long bitter and crisp finish. I have concerns that it will get any better in 2012, but we’ll see and re-rate then.

Macegan75 (845) - Phoenixville, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 15, 2012
Bottle at Damico’s for the Vertical Epic Series. Pours clear golden yellow with some head. nose is citrus rind and mild funk, first sip is slightly syrupy and malty resin with a slightly cloudy tangy creamy finish. not bad

HughConway (831) - Washington, USA - AUG 6, 2008
Bottle. Pours yellow with orange overtones. Thin white head. Sweet fruit aroma. Body is thin and spicy. Nice beer.

highibus (821) - Vail, Arizona, USA - AUG 16, 2008
Pours clear as a bell golden yellow into my tulip. nice white head with impressive lacing. aroma of spicy hops and crisp fruit (some alcohol too)). flavor is balance and a little dryfruity. nice finish with some alcohol.

AlabastorJones (814) - Seattle, Washington, USA - NOV 28, 2008
Upon aroma... THIS IS A BELGIAN?!? All I smell is sweet syrupy northwest style hop pungency! Citrus hop blast nose, cascade, centennial, clear filtered orange color, (oddly clear for a belgian), minimal white head, spicey flavor, pepper, citrus hops, belgian gold finish, I can certainly detect the belgian yeast flavor but the hops muddy up the belgian attitude, I respect this mesh of flavors greatly but it’s hard to rate as labeled as a belgian strong ale because the belgian characteristics are so thwarted by the hop dominance, I have wondered for a long time what a hop forward belgian strong would taste like and am delighted with this contribution, I’m using this as research for an over hopped trappist gold I plan on brewing in about two weeks on top of the belgian blonde slurry I’ll brew tomorrow, the belgian and hop characteristics help each other out, but this is an all new form of a belgian strong ale! So watch out for the up and coming "Belgian IPA" or "Bitter Monk" style I predict will be the next big thing following the double IPA

Padron4KM (810) - Chandler, Arizona, USA - AUG 23, 2008
1st tasting 8/23/08

Golden straw with a thick creamy head that quickly collapses to a thin cap. Streams of tiny champagne like bubbles rise to the surface.

Aroma is complex to say the least. Definitely banana up front with subtle tones of clove spice, layered with citrus and pine, - "You got IPA in my Belgian Golden ALE, no, you got Belgian Golden Ale in my IPA!"- Whatever happened it’s interesting.

Flavor is complex as a well, peach apricot, spice, followed up by some pine and light citrus.

Finish is long, lightly dry, piney hops and fruity malts. Nicely balanced. This one should hold up well.

HopheadHans (804) - Bay Area, California, USA - SEP 13, 2008
Bottle. One of the better beers from that series. Right now it is very drinkable, with some hops bite but also some spiciness and pepperiness. This gives it a long lasting bitter finish. At the same time is quite refreshing and really hides the alcohol well. I am not sure how weel it will age though since there is a very prominent hops component.

ddemmingjr (800) - Chagrin Falls, Ohio, USA - AUG 1, 2010
Definitely a fan of the series.Medium bodied with a hint of carbonation.Looks almost like a lager as its lightly golden and barely hazy,white head which recedes to a ring along the glass.Hops throughout the finish which some may consider bitter. As a fan of saisons I think Stone made a nice effort for distinction.

DTM (798) - Winters, California, USA - DEC 11, 2008
Pours a golden color with a large white head. Smelled of citrus and sweet malt. Hoppy beer with a hint of spice. Full bodied beer with a bitter finish. Good beer.

bigguns22 (798) - Maryland, USA - AUG 19, 2008
The color of this beer is great,rich golden like tupelo honey if you put the two next to each other you can not tell them apart.Off white head and leaves finger on a glass almost like red wine.Before I looked at the bottle I was thinking this is like a hoppy belgian then I read the bottle and found out than was the inspiration.All in all great beer must try if a fan of hops and or belgain beers.