Stone 09.09.09 Vertical Epic Ale

overall

RATINGS: 725   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.76/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 258   ABV: 8.6%
This is quite a complex and layered beer. Bold and smooth chocolate malt flavors combine with a Belgian yeast lending tropical fruit/banana flavors and hints of spiciness, all complemented by citrus notes from an addition of tangerine peel. Rich vanilla beans add a nice counter to the chocolate malt - actually enhancing the chocolatiness. The finish is smooth, with additional traces of vanilla and toasted characters from French Oak. The goal for this edition of the Stone Vertical Epic Ale series is to be reminiscent of artisanal chocolates accentuated with orange.

TURDFERGUSON (4058) - Durham, North Carolina, USA - SEP 10, 2009
Bottle shared by Ethan. Meh all the way. Whats the deal with this beer? No idea what they are going for and I don’t even taste any Belgian yeast. Kind of sucks, sad to say. Kevin (below) says it best: It tastes like disappointment.

Odeed (1805) - Bakersfield, California, USA - SEP 17, 2009
black body with a dark brown head.the aroma is a mix of oatmeal,chocolate,vanilla.with a roasted nutty finish.flavor is a mix of smoke,burnt roasted malts,ash,alcohol,chocolate,and a strange bitter/spicy finish.reminds me of skullsplitter in a way.and i did not care for the beer either.

caresville (106) - Vernon, New Jersey, USA - SEP 29, 2009
pours black with basically no head. aroma is of chocolate, raisins, malts and some black licorice. the taste didnt knock me over either and i was expecting it to from what i had heard about this. mostly coffee, and hops but it was bitter and peatmossy. i was super excited to have this and kinda let down. stone makes great stuff, but im sorry i cant classify this one as topping the charts.

Ernesto987 (6050) - Arizona, USA - OCT 6, 2014
bomber, this tasted like a cardboard box melted into the bottle, nothing form the original beer here is noticeable. Meh, LAME

zug4abby (287) - San Diego, California, USA - OCT 1, 2009
What freakin style is this beer? Such a damn identity crisis, it irritates me! Opaque, rich brown color with a tiny off white head and moderate lacing. Smells like a porter with fake cocoa powder notes. Slight cloying vanilla notes as well. Flavor is chalky and fake chocolate like. Ash/burned sorta aftertaste. Same cloying vanilla seems present in the flavor as well. I truly don’t get this beer, it’s such an identity crisis and just doesn’t work in my opinion.

LinusStick (3485) - Moon Twp, suburb of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 4, 2009
Very odd beer. Aroma was next to nothing. A light smokiness with not much else going on. Pour was a nice dark black with a thin tan film for a head. Taste was thin....a good bit of smoke with some dark malt and vanilla. Beer was absolutely flat. No carbonation at all. With carbonation this beer would be a lot better.

KAggie97 (3529) - Ugly, Hot, and Humid Spring, Texas, USA - APR 1, 2010
Bottle from Kevin
Pours jet black with a thick beige head and a nose of coppery, metallic, dry layer of light smoke. Flavor is dried seaweed dying to be used for sushi. Average mouthfeel. Meh, I’ll have my sushi elsewhere.

jackl (8271) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - NOV 1, 2014
Bottle pour @ the 21st Richmond Gathering. Deep brown with a tiny tan head. Very oxidized nose. Apples, plums. Cardboard. Taste is peppery. Steak sauce. Soy. Nasty cardboard. Sludgy burnt chocolate. So bad.

cheap (5965) - Beaver Valley, Beaver County, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 23, 2012
I write this review for all of the Stone Vertical Epics from 333 -999 but the numerical ratings of each are different. I pen this review reflecting on my tremendous respect for Horny Devil James – the supplier of these brews, Justin Lithy – the ratebeerian who supplied the locale, Ben london101 – for his VE comments and Beerman6686 Dan - for the interesting insights. Prior to this RB Pittsburgh December 2012 Post Apocalyptic Beer Tasting, I could have cared less for some happy BS vertical beers. However, James and Justin, by providing carefully guided beer experiences, adjusted the stereo typical stigma that I held about such beers, and there numerical family. After I saw James immediately pour a bottle of 333 down the drain, after we all had a sample was not only breathtaking, but it I had to pinch myself to make sure it wasn’t a dream. I was cautiously thinking to myself, without speaking out loud, in all my cheapness, that I would have drank that whole bottle, if it was one of my singular tasking sessions. Perhaps I would have got sick, who knows. Well, for the ratings, they all were rather old, musty and tasted about the same, except the 777. The triple 3 was a dark, flat, old, rude, coors cardboard and bitter; fer sure. The 444 had a somewhat volatile spicy smell and looked like pale lager. Of course, it come across rather old too. The 555 was a dark beer. It had some decent co2 for a change. Bitter initially, then mellowed. However, I found more it acceptable than most IPA. The devil #666 was just that. Dark pour with a decent head. Smell is a little tart, pretty good olfactory. Some co2 on the palate. Not as bad as the first 3 VEs. 777 was the best of the bunch, again a darker ale. Smell is acceptable. Really strong taste but did not have many of those negative old beer thing attributes. Lots of CO2 which makes this more fun – IMHO the best of the bunch fer sure. I thought it was because it was the newest, but modified my impression after having the 888 & 999. With the 888 pour is pale yellah. It must be a strong ale & the medicinal bitterness is quite high. Finish is back of throat bitter bite that goes on for quite a while. And lastly the 999. Seems much older in personality that the 444-888. Actually, I get the impressions of an old barley wine on the nose. Strong & rude. A little over the top fer sure. Does not hide alky what so ever. Not the best VE I’ve ever head, heheh. There – you have it; VE ratings from a VE newbee.

1.2
Kevin (2200) - Montana, USA - SEP 9, 2009
bottle-obviously. will post notes later on if i feel like it, but felt like doing a rating on a beer that is named for lumpy’s birthday, on lumpy’s birthday. here’s to you brother. let’s hope this turns out better than some of our earlier parties. coffee body with a brown head. black mexican looking just like lumpy( except for the black and mexican part). smells like burnt coffee(allegro) wet paper, and sadness. this tastes like burnt coffee, solvent, whiteout, coffee candy, disappointment, and just plain old bad. roast is very strong. a bit of lime in the finish. this is very similar to a homebrew i did. we called it the abomination, cause it was. this tastes similar, that is not an analogy anyone should be proud of. i already have cases of my abomination to get through and i don’t have to pay for it. i sure as hell don’t want to pay 6.99 for a taste of a bad beer. but damnit, i have to have a few more purchased for already planned events. way to go guys. know that there is an established market and take advantage of it. might as well call this vertical epic part IV the beerdom menace. fuck.