Stone 10.10.10 Vertical Epic Ale

overall

RATINGS: 628   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.51/5   EST. CALORIES: 285   ABV: 9.5%
This ninth edition of our Stone Vertical Epic Ale series takes two interesting left turns. A Belgian-style golden triple is the starting point of this beer, but the first left turn is nearly immediate with the addition of dried chamomile flowers, triticale, and Belgian amber candi sugar. The second, and rather unusual left turn takes us half an hour up the road from Stone to Temecula courtesy of the addition of just-pressed Muscat, Gewurztraminer and Sauvignon Blanc grapes from our friends at South Coast Winery. As the Stone Vertical Epic Ale series has moved through the calendar, we found that the brewing schedule for a 10.10.10 release coincided nicely with the grape harvest, neatly providing an interesting twist in this epic ale.

scoth (684) - Fort Collins, Colorado, USA - JUN 15, 2013
Pours cloudy copper with a medium beige head, very fine clinging lacing. Fruity and malty aromas, biscuit, grass, grape, spice, and a hint of bubblegum. Medium body, smooth and creamy. Medium sweet, some citrus, light bitter finish. Malty notes linger.

jsh12bama (681) - Alabama, USA - MAR 5, 2011
Pours golden with thin fizzy head. Aroma of grapes and Belgian yeast. Taste of spices, and herbs with a floral finish. Medium mouthfeel. Tons of sweetness. Just OK. About like the rest of this series.

brigg (677) - Washington DC, USA - NOV 4, 2010
UPDATED: MAR 6, 2013 (11/4/2010 - bottle) A slightly hazy, orange amber body with basically no head (bad glass maybe?). The aroma has strong yeast tones; dough, overripe fruit, some alcohol and mild sweet toasted malt. Very sweet up front with a slight tangy-sourness that creeps up as the beer travels back. Pretty acidic, and a bitter aftertaste of orange peel. Maybe a little too acidic for my liking, but I like the sourness at the same time. A little flat, too. The alcohol becomes more noticeable as time goes by, and the aftertaste gives way to the warm alcohol sensation in the mouth. I might try another bottle just to see if this one’s a bit off. It’s not bad. Aroma: 7 Appearance: 3 Taste: 5 Palate: 3 Overall: 12 (03/06/2013 - bottle) Hazy orange body, wisp of a head. Sweet floral and Belgian yeast aroma; honey, flowers, banana, medium spice (clove, allspice), grape, pear. Medium to full body, some carbonation, slightly sticky mouthfeel. Flavor of grape/white wine, light spice, yeast, moderate to heavy sweet. Aroma: 8 Appearance: 3 Taste: 7 Palate: 4 Overall: 16

Hoprider (675) - DENMARK - MAY 1, 2016
Pours almost clear golden with very little foam N: grapey. Sweet grapes. This is like sauternes if it wasn’t for the light spicy yeast character T: the taste is wonderfully winey and sweet. Gewürstraminer or something. Only getting lightly drying in the aftertaste. Funny stuff.

Chuckaduck (674) - Highland Heights, Kentucky, USA - DEC 31, 2010
Pours a yellowish with a mostly white slightly yellow head. Aroma is Belgian yeast and citrus. Taste is a quick strong Belgian bite upfront, then a touch of skunk smoothing out to a sort of general hoppiness. Not bad.

ChazMania (669) - Oceanside, California, USA - OCT 22, 2010
Bomber poured into a tulip glass. I’m surprised by the many low scores on this. Maybe I’m rating it higher since my earlier beer was not so good. If that is true, then I will adjust this next time I drink it! Aroma is floral and light; color is gorgeous with amber/orange. Small head faded quickly. Taste is great, very cool marriage of a strong Belgian blonde with zesty white wine grapes. I can clearly taste the Sauv Blanc and Muscat. Very crisp and clean finish and the after burp is sweet! A very enjoyable beer. I think my wife would love this which means I need to go buy a couple more!

merlin48 (656) - Jenkins, Kentucky, USA - DEC 5, 2010
Certainly the most complex of the VE series I’ve sampled. Hazed golden body has a thin ivory head that leaves patch and sheet lacing on the goblet. Aroma has fruity white grape skins, overripe Anjou pears, perfumey incense, and herbal chamolile. Medium full body has a subtle carbonation and a syrupiness. Taste is grape skins, candy sugar, vanilla, herbal chamomile, and charred incense. Alcohol is nicely concealed. A bit overly sweet. Reminds me of drinking liquid incense.

TheGent (656) - , Massachusetts, USA - JAN 24, 2011
Sorry to say I did not like this one because I thought the idea of adding grapes to a beer was an interesting concept. Poured this 22oz bottle into some tumblers for tasting. Light white yellow fizzed color with very thin head. Aroma did give a white whine and sweet Belgium candi and yeast elements, but nothing to write home about. Really the let down was that I was getting to much alcohol taste which is ok in some beers but I hoped this would have been better hidden. I may have had this to warm which added to this.

camborne (656) - Hopkins, Minnesota, USA - MAR 30, 2013
Banana and bread nose. Palate follows suit and add Candi sugar and apple juice. Sweet Belgium style beer. Drank this after cellaring 2 years. Tasty

slang (654) - Columbia, South Carolina, USA - OCT 17, 2010
bomber. Pale Belgian w/ lots of twists. Long vinous finish, chardonnay & riesling. Perfectly drinakable. Spot on.