Stone 10.10.10 Vertical Epic Ale

overall

RATINGS: 629   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.51/5   EST. CALORIES: 285   ABV: 9.5%
This ninth edition of our Stone Vertical Epic Ale series takes two interesting left turns. A Belgian-style golden triple is the starting point of this beer, but the first left turn is nearly immediate with the addition of dried chamomile flowers, triticale, and Belgian amber candi sugar. The second, and rather unusual left turn takes us half an hour up the road from Stone to Temecula courtesy of the addition of just-pressed Muscat, Gewurztraminer and Sauvignon Blanc grapes from our friends at South Coast Winery. As the Stone Vertical Epic Ale series has moved through the calendar, we found that the brewing schedule for a 10.10.10 release coincided nicely with the grape harvest, neatly providing an interesting twist in this epic ale.

Maddog (528) - Kettering, Ohio, USA - OCT 22, 2010
Bomber from BP in Yellow Springs, OH. BP, yes BP.....we call it Beer Place. I was a bit reluctant to buy this beer at first after reading that it was made up of types of white wine grapes. But, I really enjoyed this yeasty, fruity, herbacious, spicy Belgian tripel. I will certainly get this one again, my favorite Epic of the series thus far.

natejgood (527) - Bozeman, Montana, USA - SEP 21, 2013
Pours a hazy orange. There isn’t much in the way of carbonation or head, but that could be because the beer is three years old at this point. Aroma of dark fruits, dates and honey. It smells very sweet. The grape flavor comes through nicely in this beer but isn’t overpowering. The beer has a slight sowerness to it that helps cut the fairly sweet aroma. Flavor seems a bit muddled though, as there is also a bit of malt mixed with the sour grape flavor. Feels fairly flat in the mouth, but not in a bad way. Interesting beer, but not one of my favorites from Stone.

stevencon (525) - Sarasota, Florida, USA - JAN 30, 2013
Draft and bottle. Grape and eucalyptus floral spices. Hazy gold. Honey vegetal taste. Grassy finish but not really bitter. Eucalyptus

fishonmyplane (505) - Newington, Connecticut, USA - MAY 5, 2011
Although this isn’t really my style, this beer was quite impressive nonetheless. The Belgian yeast and the malty sweetness mixes perfectly with the hints of white wine. Minimal head. The aroma is very floral. Flavor is a little sour (like a saison), tangy, and sweet. The malts and hops are hard to describe because they aren’t really present... it feels more like you’re drinking white wine. It’s very drinkable and light-bodied, which allows the high ABV to sneak up on you. A unique experience.

gpekar (497) - Florida, USA - JAN 25, 2015
Poured a hazy amber with a 1 inch beige head immediately after the pour, but the head becomes just a film rather quickly. The aroma was fruit and a bit like a dry white wine. The initial taste was slightly tart, but a good malt sweetness comes along to mellow the taste out. The beer had a thicker texture. This beer was not my cup of tea, so to speak.

Crispy34 (496) - Texas, USA - OCT 10, 2015
Bomber. Aroma es green grapes/ white wine and Belgian yeast. Appearance is a hazy bronze with little head. Taste is grape with Belgian yeast. A hint of bubble gum, white wine dryness, dark fruit. Palate is dry and very sweet. Overall, a good beer. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

lordeche (479) - Quincy, Massachusetts, USA - JAN 21, 2011
Pour golden with small white head. Aroma bursting with great white wine notes and abundant acidity. Great notes of sourness balanced with fruity (cherry, pear) sweetness. Flavor is far less straight forward, with subtle sweetness blunted by assertive belgian yeast and sour notes, finishing very dry. Probably takes a more sophisticated palate to detect the chamomile. Interesting, but doesn’t quite come off.

jhgrantjr (478) - Tennessee, USA - JUN 14, 2012
UPDATED: DEC 4, 2012 Bottle. Poured a golden color. Smell of citrus, grapes. Taste similar to gewurztraminer wine but with floral carbonation. Very good. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

ljay6880 (475) - , Pennsylvania, USA - NOV 26, 2011
22 oz bottle served in a tulip. Pour is hazy orange with two fingers of sudsy white head on top. Nose is yeast, bananas, grapes, flowers, candied sugar, and a zesty spice which I cant quite identify. Taste is delivered pretty verbatim when comparing to the nose. This was very drinkable in every respect, and worth the sample, but I find myself enjoying the Belgian yeast strain less and less as time progresses. If you are a fan of the Belgians, I would imagine this one to be rated at about a 4/5.

chicagobears (474) - Elk Grove Village, Illinois, USA - DEC 20, 2010
This is my first Vertical since Stone has only recently been distributed in my area. This one pours a hazy gold. Yeasty nose, bouquet of fruit with grapes, banana, apple, and a little pineapple. I think I detect a hint of honey. Flavor is somewhere between a Tripel and a white wine. Has that trademark Belgian "banana" sweetness. Certainly a good dose of hard candy sugar Some nice spicy notes. Has a appley/grape skin tartness. I enjoyed this one quite a bit! Glad Stone is in my neighborhood cause they make a hell of a brew.