Stone 10.10.10 Vertical Epic Ale

overall

RATINGS: 628   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.51/5   EST. CALORIES: 285   ABV: 9.5%
This ninth edition of our Stone Vertical Epic Ale series takes two interesting left turns. A Belgian-style golden triple is the starting point of this beer, but the first left turn is nearly immediate with the addition of dried chamomile flowers, triticale, and Belgian amber candi sugar. The second, and rather unusual left turn takes us half an hour up the road from Stone to Temecula courtesy of the addition of just-pressed Muscat, Gewurztraminer and Sauvignon Blanc grapes from our friends at South Coast Winery. As the Stone Vertical Epic Ale series has moved through the calendar, we found that the brewing schedule for a 10.10.10 release coincided nicely with the grape harvest, neatly providing an interesting twist in this epic ale.

b79turner (260) - Birmingham, Alabama, USA - JUL 11, 2011
Bottle purchased in June 2011 at Hop City Craft Beer in Atlanta. Pours a golden orange color with a small head, very little lacing. Medium carbonation. The hops are a good contrast to a wine type flavor. Could you a little less bitterness, but I’m not a fan of bitter beers. Overall a very well done brew. I would be interested to try the earlier Vertical Epic years.

Koyo (251) - SWEDEN - FEB 6, 2011
Bottle from Systembolaget. Pours golden and clear with a nice thick, white foam. Instantly there is a lot of carbonation rising through the beer, it sea to be a very carbonate beer. Aroma is quite sour, very Belgian and quite pleasant. Taste is sour as well, very nice with some sweetness from the alcohol in there. Mouthfeel is, as expected, quite carbonated and a little dry, reminds me of a dry champagne. Excellent beer to enjoy with the Super Bowl!

41cubs (250) - , New Jersey, USA - APR 9, 2011
Smells like duck sauce wrapped in two paper towels, very faint but sweet and a touch sour. Flavor has heavy German type aspects with a pronounced malt sweetness and a sourdough-ish yeastiness with an herbal perfume at the finish that rises through the nasal passage. Great body and mouthfeel with a balanced heft and carbonation that make a bomber very doable. Nice brew. Thanks Stone. 2010 22 oz.

lcwakshul (244) - Chester, Maryland, USA - NOV 30, 2010
22 oz. bottle. Not really sure how to rate this one. Kinda like rating a Dogfish concoction. It’s beer with a finish of a dry white wine. Not hoppy, but still sort of bitter. Has the mouth feel of a chilled glass of white wine. It’s like drinking a bottle of lightly carbonated wine in a pint glass. Bottom line, it’s an incredibly delicious beverage, but I’m pretty sure it should be consumed out of a white wine glass.

bucs572000 (237) - Minnesota, USA - MAR 4, 2013
This beer was aged for three years and wow I’ve never had the fresh version but I can’t imagine it’s better than this. The aroma is nice clean grape smell. Taste like a brett beer, good blend of sour and Belgian flavor. Very good brew, if you can get your hands on one I do recommend.

CarlJonas (231) - Linköping, SWEDEN - OCT 10, 2011
Hazy orange with a thin white head. The aroma is mostly Belgian yeast but the grapes start to come through after a while. The taste is sweet but very refreshing with some red wine like bitterness in the after taste. Perhaps not as complex as I would have thought but, as I said, very refreshing and it went down perhaps a little to easy considering the ABV. Worked very well with some French sheep milk cheese.

Shaftie (218) - , Maryland, USA - DEC 24, 2010
Far too floral for my liking. I loved the 09 but this one, while different, left something to be desired for me in the taste department. If you like the taste of flowers pick this up; if not, pass.

Nalu (217) - Washington, USA - NOV 16, 2010
Tap @ Parkway. Clear gold pour with a white head leaving a fine, heavy lace. Very smooth mouth feel, but ultimately just a medium body. The tripel/sour/infused ale natures all mix together and make this one hard to describe. Banana, ethanol, chocolate, white grape, apricots and singed sugar flavors. Maybe my palate isn’t developed enough, but this one is a bit much for me. I have a bomber I will cellar and crack down the road.

Quasimodo (217) - chicago, Illinois, USA - OCT 7, 2011
A light Belgian tripel brewed with white wine grapes and chamomile. Interesting and different. Refined and easy to drink. Very mild and subtle for a 10% ale. The gulp is mild sweetness, a white grape tangy-ness and light spice. The aftertaste lingers nicely with notes of white wine and a hint of ale and spices.

adamah (214) - California, USA - APR 20, 2013
While I loved this beer, it didn’t taste like beer at all. Even the nose was dominated by the grapes. I felt like I was drinking wine. It was sweet, herbal and had a nice dry finish. The head was big and frothy. Definitely an awesome experience to try but was probably more wine than beer.