Stone 10.10.10 Vertical Epic Ale

overall

RATINGS: 629   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.51/5   EST. CALORIES: 285   ABV: 9.5%
This ninth edition of our Stone Vertical Epic Ale series takes two interesting left turns. A Belgian-style golden triple is the starting point of this beer, but the first left turn is nearly immediate with the addition of dried chamomile flowers, triticale, and Belgian amber candi sugar. The second, and rather unusual left turn takes us half an hour up the road from Stone to Temecula courtesy of the addition of just-pressed Muscat, Gewurztraminer and Sauvignon Blanc grapes from our friends at South Coast Winery. As the Stone Vertical Epic Ale series has moved through the calendar, we found that the brewing schedule for a 10.10.10 release coincided nicely with the grape harvest, neatly providing an interesting twist in this epic ale.

Maddog (528) - Kettering, Ohio, USA - OCT 22, 2010
Bomber from BP in Yellow Springs, OH. BP, yes BP.....we call it Beer Place. I was a bit reluctant to buy this beer at first after reading that it was made up of types of white wine grapes. But, I really enjoyed this yeasty, fruity, herbacious, spicy Belgian tripel. I will certainly get this one again, my favorite Epic of the series thus far.

BT (127) - Westchester, Illinois, USA - NOV 22, 2010
On tap at My Place in Newtown, CT: poured a rich golden light amber, with an aroma of light caramel, light floral, some grass, citrus, herbs, very enjoyable. A taste of sweet yummy.

Nena (963) - Seattle, Washington, USA - NOV 23, 2010
Clear orange golden pour, small white head. Yeasty, fruit and spice tripel-like aroma with white grape. Yeastiness and coriander spice on the flavor, lots of whtie grape and raisin fruity character, floral and herbal hints near the finish. Medium body, on the dry side. Lots of complexity while still being very coherent. My favorite of the Vertical Epics I’ve tried so far.

thejon375 (414) - Tampa, Florida, USA - NOV 30, 2010
Awesome grape flavor and aroma. Crystal clear appearance with thin white head. Great slightly sweet finish with nice carbonation.

lcwakshul (244) - Chester, Maryland, USA - NOV 30, 2010
22 oz. bottle. Not really sure how to rate this one. Kinda like rating a Dogfish concoction. It’s beer with a finish of a dry white wine. Not hoppy, but still sort of bitter. Has the mouth feel of a chilled glass of white wine. It’s like drinking a bottle of lightly carbonated wine in a pint glass. Bottom line, it’s an incredibly delicious beverage, but I’m pretty sure it should be consumed out of a white wine glass.

rajendra82 (1102) - Alpharetta, Georgia, USA - NOV 25, 2011
Sampled a year after bottling, the beer appeared amber in color, and had a relatively small head and a moderate carbonation. The aroma was floral, earthy, and had a touch of funk in it, reminding me of some the better Saisons I have sampled in the past. The taste was not quite as complex as the smell suggested, but it was a delicately balanced one. I could detect some woody and herbal notes, and a tart overtone, followed by a floral finish. The body was medium dense, and the alcohol was very well hidden. There was almost no indication of this beer being nearly a double digit ABV. A nice and smooth drink, but not an overly memorable one.

gparry (1) - San Diego, California, USA - MAR 21, 2013 does not count
This was a very good beer I opened it March 21 2013, after sitting in a dark cupboard for 2 and a half years .... one word....WOW The aroma was so surreal, grapes in your face, but the taste was not overly sweet. I am so glad i hid two bottles from myself bake in October of 2010.

Emeister84 (2580) - Charlottesville, Virginia, USA - MAR 31, 2013
Aromas of tangerines, peaches, pink grapefruit, cherries, flowers, and golden raisins. Clear, orange-honey complexion, with small, constant bubbles, and a small, fully lasting, white head. Some sweetness, fruity, floral, swallowed up by a yeasty dryness. Medium body, prickly carbonation, spicy, and finishes full of white wine notes.

adamah (214) - California, USA - APR 20, 2013
While I loved this beer, it didn’t taste like beer at all. Even the nose was dominated by the grapes. I felt like I was drinking wine. It was sweet, herbal and had a nice dry finish. The head was big and frothy. Definitely an awesome experience to try but was probably more wine than beer.

GreatDane1632 (1174) - North Dakota, USA - DEC 1, 2013
Notes from 2011 -- From the bottle it pours a transluscent golden yellow w/ white head. Smells slightly carmelly white a little grape on the nose. Crisp flavor of carmel, grapes, slight alcohol bite with citrus on the tongue. Very nice, would love to drink multiples.