overall

RATINGS: 623   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.9/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 300   ABV: 10%
Stone 10th Anniversary IPA harkens back to our earlier Anniversary Ales, with abundant hopping at many stages of the brewing process. Appropriately, the aroma is over-the-top, with pronounced piney and resiny hop flavors combined with tropical fruit esters and more subtle notes of toasted malts and alcohol. Our Stone 10th Anniversary Ale weighs in at 10% alcohol by volume (perfect for a 10th anniversary beer), and has a little more color and malt character than our other IPAs. In addition to using the new Summit hop variety in the brewhouse to provide the powerful bitterness, we went back through our records and found some of our favorite hops over the years, and used them to flavor this brew, including Chinook, Crystal, and large doses of Simcoe in the dry-hop to provide a huge, complex, piney, fruity and floral hop character. This is a colossal beer, big in every sense: hoppy, malty, rich, and strong! Right up our alley.

Re-releaase as part of the 20th anniversary encore series in 2016

hophead75 (2012) - Largo, Florida, USA - SEP 15, 2006
bottle. Pours a dark orange/light copper with a medium off white head and carbonation. Aroma is sweet citrus, pine, resinous hops, with alot of caramel and malt sweetness. Taste is sharp bitter piney hops coated with sweet caramel malt. Thick ,sweet, chewy body. Alcohol is very full in the palate, actually too much so. A nice dose of heavy alcohol burn finishes this beer, to the point where I almost coughed after the first sip of the beer.

dwyerpg (6410) - Las Vegas, Nevada, USA - SEP 15, 2006
UPDATED: NOV 6, 2006 Smells great. Head pours like a cream ale. The head and the beer are similar in that they both start with the hops, but give in to a taste of too much alcohol. Good, but I’d rather have their regular IPA or their Ruination.

SDbruboy (1863) - San Diego, California, USA - SEP 15, 2006
22 oz. bottle, from BevMo La Jolla. Pours a clear, bright reddish amber color with a huge, fluffy white head that leaves some lacing. Aroma features some fruity sweetness, but is dominated by citrus, pine, grapefruit and peppery hops, grapefruit rind and alcohol are also noticible. Flavor is rich and sweet initially with fruity malts, notes of caramel, orange and grapefruit juice flavors, with spicy, pine and spruce and an alcohol burn down the gullet. Full body and a bit oily, with gentle carbonation. Quite consistent with the Stone character.

cquiroga (371) - Tujunga, California, USA - SEP 15, 2006
9/14/06. Poured out of 22 oz. bottle, purchased at Liquorama in Upland, CA 9/1/06. Pours a glowing red-orange copper color with a decently-retained, medium-sized and moderately tight, mostly uniform pale cream head, traces of orange meringue. Lacing is respectably sticky and tight, in spite of the clusters of pebbly bubbles that outline the glass. Aroma gives evocations of peach syrup and vaguely piney hop resins, outlined by high alcohols and a slightly fuzzy, itchy hop brashness. Some dirty doughy character scares me a bit. In general, seems ok so far. . . The first taste immediately disagrees. Turbid flavors of chalky, ashen, astringent hop dust and something so pithy and ambiguously fruit-like it can only be likened to "pith extract." And I think I just made that up. What vanilla extract is to natural vanilla beans, this beer is to natural orange peel and its soft white pith. It has a couple of dim provocations that I actually admire (although sometimes not necessarily in my double IPAs)-- hints of earthiness, a dizzying medley of hop resins, and well-integrated, surprisingly soft carbonation-- but I think those are there just to mock me. So scratchy, shocking, and almost deceptively unpleasant, it seems like someone just spiked my glass with Big Orange industrial cleaner (only this is not as sweet). Medium body is stripped to the bone with that resinous, filthy hop profile. Even its virtues are almost flaws-- the soft carbonation only confuses matters and masks the abrasiveness enough to allow me to drink more, when otherwise this beer would be damn near disgusting and would let me know it unequivocally. Immediately warming and harsh enough that I would almost think it was a skin irritant, this beer really does not sit well in my stomach. Sticky and exhaustingly caustic finish goes on forever, leaving a sticky/powdery aspirin trail that underscores the need for damage control. I can barely finish half a glass, much less a whole bomber of it. I started this one at fridge temp and didn’t enjoy it at all, and only lowered the score more as it warmed up. One of the saddest drainpours I’ve ever had. But at least I’ll know my drain is clean.

sliffy (2040) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - SEP 14, 2006
Bottle: Clear, orange/copper colored pour with a small white head. Aroma, citrus and caramel. There are some resinous earthy pine notes as well. Flavor, sweet on the tounge to start, but the bitterness really kicks in. Caramel and toffee, go with some piney, fruity hop notes. There is a sharp lingering bitterness. I have only two complaints about this beer, the three liter bottles didn’t make it to Ohio. And it sold out too quickly for me to get more than a couple bottles.

11026 (1772) - Alabama, USA - SEP 14, 2006
Tap at Concordia ale house and bottle. Pours a clear, ruddy copper color with a smallish off-white head that fades to a ring and small surface layer. Great lacing. Aroma is initially quite malty, sweet with a caramel/toffe quality, slowly some tropical fruit aromas can be detected along with light pine notes. Medium bodied, somewhat coating on the palate. A big gummy at times, not really cloying but seemingly thick on the palate. In flavor this seems quite balanced, malty sweetness initially with a fair bitterness balance that blends in nicely in the finish. In my arrogant opinion this is lacking in hop aroma and flavor to really be classified as an IIPA, I would consider this to be more an ASA. Still, a nice beer and not one to pass on. Congratulations Stone and Greg on making it for ten years, hopefully you are around for many years to come!

jeffc666 (1984) - Fairfax, Virginia, USA - SEP 14, 2006
UPDATED: SEP 15, 2006 [Update] After finishing the entire bottle I can only say that I became more dissapointed. It is not bad per-se it is just incredibly boring and underwheling in every way. The only redeeming factor was that as it warmed it developed shades of lovely pineapple (from the Simcoe I guess), it just needs more hops. Sparkling clear amber body topped by a medium dense light ran head. Glass lace is excellent. The aroma is surprisingly mild, pine, some dough(?!), light malts. The flavor is nice, though it is more American Barley Wine then IIPA to me. Sure it is hoppy, but that is mainly evident in the bitterness. There is no real hop juciness. Overall it is pretty plain believe it or not. The palate is firm and pricklyIt is still a high quality brew, I expect nothing less from Stone,but it fails to really stand out. I was really expecting something more from a 10th anniversary beer.

BrockLanders (780) - Panama City, Florida, USA - SEP 14, 2006
Like most folks I was excited when this was announced. While waiting for my "box o’ beer", I patiently perused the accumulating ratings. I was amazed by the incredible polarity amongst them....truly a love/hate thing. How would it impress me? Just cracked one...let’s see! Well, I like the aroma...not hugely hoppy but the hops are distinct..nice orangey, coppery pour...medium sized whitish head. Sweet, fruity nose, with a big hint of hops...just not overwhelming, which I don’t think is a really bad thing. First off, the flavor reminds me of TF Behemoth...plus a little Dreadnaught. Can’t help it...that’s what first came to mind (I love both, so you know how this review might go now.) Nice spicey flavor, hoppy, piney, with some sweet malts fighting like hell to balance things--they ain’t winning. Smooth, syrupy mouthfeel...nice lingering bitterness in the end. This may not go down as Stone’s best offering, but I really like it...and am damn glad I bought a boat load.

TPaliga (212) - Munster, Indiana, USA - SEP 14, 2006
Big flavor on this one. Pours amber with offwhite head. Aroma is sweet malt and slightly resiny perfumy hops. Taste is much the same. Thick and sticky. Crazy bitter finish.

henry3r (586) - Wichita, Kansas, USA - SEP 13, 2006
The 22 ounce bottle poured a beautiful reddish amber colored beverage with a small off-white creamy head that was mostly diminishing and left good lacing on the glass. The aroma presented a well defined floral hop character with subtle malt and citrus notes in the background. This beer has a medium to full body with lively carbonation and a oily texture. The flavor starts off very hoppy and sweet. During the long finish the sweetness transitions to a light bitterness with an alcohol warmth.