overall

RATINGS: 627   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.91/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 300   ABV: 10%
Stone 10th Anniversary IPA harkens back to our earlier Anniversary Ales, with abundant hopping at many stages of the brewing process. Appropriately, the aroma is over-the-top, with pronounced piney and resiny hop flavors combined with tropical fruit esters and more subtle notes of toasted malts and alcohol. Our Stone 10th Anniversary Ale weighs in at 10% alcohol by volume (perfect for a 10th anniversary beer), and has a little more color and malt character than our other IPAs. In addition to using the new Summit hop variety in the brewhouse to provide the powerful bitterness, we went back through our records and found some of our favorite hops over the years, and used them to flavor this brew, including Chinook, Crystal, and large doses of Simcoe in the dry-hop to provide a huge, complex, piney, fruity and floral hop character. This is a colossal beer, big in every sense: hoppy, malty, rich, and strong! Right up our alley.

Re-releaase as part of the 20th anniversary encore series in 2016

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
OldMrCrow (2427) - Seattle, Washington, USA - SEP 10, 2006
UPDATED: OCT 25, 2007 Fresh bottle.

Pours a rich orange amber with a nice foamy tan head. The aroma is a blast of pine-and-citrus hops, extremely powerful in that regard with almost cleaning-fluid intensity (including a definite alcohol burn even on the aroma), some other fruit notes of pear and mango. The flavor is an intense coupling of sweet malt and citric hops; this could almost pass for a hoppy barleywine. The palate is smooth and enjoyably rich in texture but this beer is very hot, ridiculously hot, to the point that one keeps it off the upper back palate simply to keep the alcohol away from the nasal passages.

I know Im going against the grain here, but Im really disappointed in this one. Its not terrible, but its not particularly good, either. While it improves as it nears room temperature, its just one intense flavor, a very powerful citric pine-resin hoppiness backed by sweet thick malts. If you told me this was the latest Imperial Whatever from Lagunitas, Id have believed it easily (and thats no complement from me, I find their strong beers mostly overly sweet and unsubtle in exactly the hop flavors that dominate here.)

Im feeling like a bit of an idiot for buying five bottles of this on word of mouth and generally good impressions of the previous hop-heavy offerings from Stone. I certainly hope it mellows with time.

(Note added two days later: to its credit, the beer seems to have improved after a couple of days open, or perhaps my attitude improved over the last couple of days. Its not great still, but I can find its virtues now.)

Bottle, one year old

Today some friends and I drank one of these side by side with a Stone 11th. The hope was that this one would have improved with age and thus would give the very nice Stone 11th some competition, but if anything its gotten worse. Even more barleywine character as expected, but not in a particularly good way. Its getting oxidized, presents a cheesy stale-hop aroma, way too sweet, still very hot...we very rarely leave a bottle unfinished and this had 1/4 left at the end of the day. It would have gone potentially as low as 6/3/5/3/10=2.7.

What on earth am I going to do with the remaining bottles in my cellar?

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
SpudClampDawg (1029) - Jasper, Indiana, USA - SEP 10, 2006
UPDATED: OCT 29, 2006 Ive had two bottles of this and the second made me drop my score considerably. I think at first I was caught up in the - "OMG its Stones 10 Anniversary Beer!" hype. When it comes down to it, there is just no real hop definition in this. The malts are muddled too. The nose is a little more subdued than I expected from such a big beer. Still nice, the aroma is full of mango and apricots, grapefruit and candied oranges. Lots of sugar too. A hint of earthy yeast and ethanol lingers beneath. The body is nicely bittered - the IBUs are kept in check and are nowhere near tongue scraping. This is a good thing in my book as it allows me to taste everything else in the body equally. As the intial bitterness subsides, a nice combination of sweet malt and citrusy hops come through. The malts are extremely sluggish near the finish though, weighing on the tongue. As I drink more and more of the bottle, the weight of the hops and malts just pull me down. It becomes a cloying mess - like pineapple and caramel syrup. Really hard to finish 22 oz. This lacks definition and finesse.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 13/20
vyvvy (6056) - Florissant, Missouri, USA - SEP 10, 2006
First the good - nice bottle design and nice aroma. After that this thing is an overrated trainwreck of a beer. It pour clear copper with a good sized beige head. On the aroma I was getting lots of floral simcoe hops that had me excited to taste the beer... the taste didnt live up to expectations. Medium to full body that is cloying and sticky with some semi-soft carbonation. Taste starts off with cotton candy like sweetness and a ton of alcohol. This says it is 10% and it doesnt mask any of it - I would have guessed it was much more due to the horrible burn this has. My favorite beers are IIPAs, BSAs and ASAs and I dont think Ive had more burn on a beer than this one. The finish has some spicy hops (first time I noticed any) but the alcohol is the most dominate aspect. This beer is nothing of what it is cracked up to be. I dont know if ones feel they have to give this a good rating because it is a "Stone anniversary beer", but I cant think of a more overhyped beer ever. I got two bottles and will not be consuming the other one myself. For a brewery that takes such an arrogant stand for being the epitomy of quality this is a hypocritical offering - its far from being yellow and fizzy, but it is also not good.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
auerbrau (3204) - Ithaca, New York, USA - SEP 10, 2006
22 Oz Bottle. This beer reeks of Balsam Fir, and I love it. There I am under the Christmas Tree a couple days after the event. Drying needles droping their sweet orange resin on to the carpet and Im rolling it it. The vacuum eminates the aroma throughout the room. It couldnt be more festival. This merges into the night I got high and watched the Christmas Tree lights for a couple hours, with the mingling of Fir and Creeper in my mouth. It pours a little flat, to say the least. Has a creamy ivory head and a very even amber orange body. Mmmm. Rich, bready, yeasty, creamy, sweet pine resins, orange peels, lime zest and lemon juice all swirled and concocted over a bed of grassy wild plums. The carbonation is a little shy here, are they learning from AleSmith? The fruity notes dance well with the nostril scorching hops and the ten percent of alcohol is hardly noticeable. Creamyness maybe doesnt hold up as it should and is washed away in a sea of long tall green grasses. Right now, Im just happy to have a beer redolent with hops. There is some discordance in the individuality of each ingredient. This beer actually could use some time in my opinion. Double IPA? Nah, just a whopper of an IPA. Thanks Andy!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
mrchug645 (71) - alb, New Mexico, USA - SEP 10, 2006
it was about 8:00 on a Wednesday night when i tryed this a very good IPA I was at first skeptical in the beggining of the drink but i soon was over pleased by the notes of grapefruit raisins apple lemon and malts combined with the choice hops I would recommend trying this one before you can no longer purchase it.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
cewldre (268) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - SEP 10, 2006
Pours amber in color. Medium head. Smells hoppy and earthy, mostly pine. Smells a little bit like grapefruit. Taste has a very hoppy taste, with a nice malt in there as well. Taste is a little piney as well, hint of grapefruit present in the taste, but not as much as the smell leads on.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
HopsOrDie (687) - New Lenox, Illinois, USA - SEP 9, 2006
Wow. Pours a deep orange color with a medium white head. The smell is out of this world. Very fresh and pungeant hop aroma. It smells like taking a hop cone from the vine, smashing it in your fingers, and smelling the aroma. Citric, pine, sweet cherry/dark fruit, and a slight alcohol in the aroma. Very balanced flavor. Heavy in hop flavor, but sweet malt flavor and bitterness balance this out nicely. Alcohol is very subtle.Sticky on the lips. I had a Dreadnaught last night, and cant say I would chose one over the other. Awesome!!!!!!!&

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
luckygirl (1223) - Boulder, Colorado, USA - SEP 9, 2006
Bomber. Beer is clear, medium amber-brown colored with an average-sized, off-white, frothy, mostly diminishing head. The aroma is pretty skippy! :) Malty with moderate notes of toasted grain, caramel, cookie; Hoppy with moderate-to-heavy notes of resin/pine, cedar, lemon zest, flowers; Yeasty with a lighter note of funky dish rag; Moderate miscellaneous notes of apple, brandy, wood and alcohol. The flavor is moderately-to-heavily sweet, heavily bitter (but not in the tounge-scraping way), lightly acidic with a long, moderately-to-heavily bitter/grippy, moderately sweet finish. The body is medium, the texture is velvety/syrupy and the carbonation is lively. IMHO time, this is the perfect balance between Stones tounge-beaters and some of their more subdued offerings; complex and challenging.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
LooseCannon (938) - Norfolk, Virginia, USA - SEP 9, 2006
Citus & Grapefruit aroma. Off white head, orange/amber color. Grapefruit and Citus with strong alcohal taste

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 11/20
Ernest (7476) - Boulder, Colorado, USA - SEP 9, 2006
Bottle. Head is initially small, frothy, off-white, mostly diminishing. Body is medium amber. Aroma is lightly to moderately malty (cookie, bread), lightly to moderately hoppy (resin, grapefruit, apricot), lightly yeasty (dough), with notes of pear syrup and alcohol. Flavor is moderately to heavily sweet, lightly to moderately acidic, lightly bitter. Finish is moderately sweet, lightly to moderately acidic, moderately bitter. Medium to full body, creamy texture, lively carbonation, moderately alcoholic. Stone 7th and 8th were mostly drinkable if unexciting. Their 9th was a complete drain pour. This one is somewhat in between as far as enjoyment goes...pretty boring/dull. Not a lot of malt or hop aroma, lots of burn in the finish, quite syrupy sweet, etc. Surprising for an anniversary (or any) beer from Stone to just be a vague mess of malt and hops, but thats all Im getting here. I was at least expecting to have my nose torn off by the hops (it IS supposed to be a double IPA, after all, but most ordinary American IPAs are hoppier in aroma than this), but I didnt even get that. Odd beer for this brewer.