overall

RATINGS: 636   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.9/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 300   ABV: 10%
Stone 10th Anniversary IPA harkens back to our earlier Anniversary Ales, with abundant hopping at many stages of the brewing process. Appropriately, the aroma is over-the-top, with pronounced piney and resiny hop flavors combined with tropical fruit esters and more subtle notes of toasted malts and alcohol. Our Stone 10th Anniversary Ale weighs in at 10% alcohol by volume (perfect for a 10th anniversary beer), and has a little more color and malt character than our other IPAs. In addition to using the new Summit hop variety in the brewhouse to provide the powerful bitterness, we went back through our records and found some of our favorite hops over the years, and used them to flavor this brew, including Chinook, Crystal, and large doses of Simcoe in the dry-hop to provide a huge, complex, piney, fruity and floral hop character. This is a colossal beer, big in every sense: hoppy, malty, rich, and strong! Right up our alley.

Re-releaase as part of the 20th anniversary encore series in 2016

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
chilehead (186) - Laguna Niguel, California, USA - OCT 3, 2006
Awesome IPA, pours copper with a full head. Nose is of floral hops, and the mouth delivers with a full hop profile. Also had at GABF and it was a favorite of many that I talked to.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Nel (180) - Virginia, USA - SEP 23, 2006
Pours out a ight amber. The smell of this beer is probobly its best attribute. The amount of floral fruity piney smell that they packed into this brew is really something. Definently one of the best beers I have smelled. It doesnt taste quite as good, but that doesnt mean its a flavor slouch. Lots of malts and hops, in a fairly traditional stone manner. Some interesting pine bitterness is at the forefront. It finishes with a malty caramel flavor that I enjoyed a good bit. Overall its more than I was expecting from this brew, and its good to see that stone still has some tricks up their sleeve. I could go either way on whether this is better than ruination. Definently a great effort on the part of stone, but I dont think this beer quite belongs in the 99 percentile.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
eyesandsmiles (179) - Mission Viejo, California, USA - DEC 14, 2006
Its the best Ive had from stone yet. It has a huge taste. So good Im probably going to buy one in a few hours.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
luvcasks (178) - USA - DEC 31, 2006
22oz bomber pours a hazy burnished gold with gorgeous orange glow an medium ivory yellow mousse like head which lasts & lasts Aroma of grapefruit pitch, sticky resin and alcohol... tangerine & floral notes as the beer warms up Flavor is equally intense with grapefruit pith, some soft fruits (honey and pear) and a sticky resiny hop flavor followed by a sizable alcohol warmth. Good malt supporting this load of hops. Some biscuit flavors come thru as the beer warms up which allows the juiciness of the hop flavors to come through. I begin to taste some tangerine flavors as the beer warms up Palate: Medium bodies with a slight creaminess, the medium low carbonation is perfect for me. Long lasting complex dry finish which is kept from being sticky by the creaminess Overall: Do I have a hop leaf stuck to my teeth kind of resiny, fruity, floral hop flavor... :) an excellent double IPA, yet another winner from Stone brewing. The only thing I am not too crazy about is the amount of alcohol in the aroma and flavor.. defintely worth seeking out and ejoying in a snifter or tulip. A great homage to the hops. I would like to try it at the brewery on tap or on cask with some more dry hops

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
BleacherBum (177) - Blowing Rock, North Carolina, USA - MAY 18, 2008
I dont rate as much as the serious NERDS, but I felt compelled to speak up here: The beer is amazing. When it comes to medium-bodied ales, I want balance. BALANCE!!!! This delivered. The hoppiness is balanced between citrus and spice. The malt is the caramel that I find so savory and luscious. The nuttiness is the base. The finish hugs me. A harmonious brew.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
duffman462 (175) - Gainesville, Florida, USA - OCT 6, 2006
Pours a beautiful color, very dark copper. Tried serving it with some steak...I ended up drinking the whole thing before I touched my steak. A really fantastic beer....very hoppy, but with enough malt to balance it out. Some citrus, and some alcohol too (after finishing it, I must say that the alcohol was well masked...a stong brew!!) Long aftertaste...very piney and complex. A superb IPA. Ive probably had one that was this good before, but not within memory. If I could get this on tap at the bar across the street, Id never see the light of day again.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
JonnyC22 (164) - Huntsville, Alabama, USA - NOV 20, 2006
Very piney, strong smell. I love it. When in California, this beer is the way to go. Really strong...hits the spot!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
KAME (160) - California, USA - AUG 25, 2006
UPDATED: SEP 19, 2007 An amazing IPA with a great fruity aroma and strong hoppy taste. Alcohol is well masked but prevalent. I agree that it is much better than the 9th anniversary. Ill add more to this review in time...

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
phiconners (151) - Massachusetts, USA - OCT 6, 2006
Nice pour with moderate head. Aroma is fantastic for an IPA, lots of hops coming through. Flavor is very interesting - more malt coming through than I expected, but a ton of hops as well. Alcohol comes through just a bit. A fantastic beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
hrking (140) - Indianapolis, Indiana, USA - NOV 22, 2006
From the 3 of the anniversary brews ive tried 8,9,10,this is the best one.Had this one in a bomber at the Peach.This is the most drinkable of the 3.All the Stone stuff smashes ur face but this one is a treat has a citrus bite to it first off but easy on the finish,malts present,great carbination, not enough to kill the fish just right..Two thumbs up!