overall

RATINGS: 623   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.9/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 300   ABV: 10%
Stone 10th Anniversary IPA harkens back to our earlier Anniversary Ales, with abundant hopping at many stages of the brewing process. Appropriately, the aroma is over-the-top, with pronounced piney and resiny hop flavors combined with tropical fruit esters and more subtle notes of toasted malts and alcohol. Our Stone 10th Anniversary Ale weighs in at 10% alcohol by volume (perfect for a 10th anniversary beer), and has a little more color and malt character than our other IPAs. In addition to using the new Summit hop variety in the brewhouse to provide the powerful bitterness, we went back through our records and found some of our favorite hops over the years, and used them to flavor this brew, including Chinook, Crystal, and large doses of Simcoe in the dry-hop to provide a huge, complex, piney, fruity and floral hop character. This is a colossal beer, big in every sense: hoppy, malty, rich, and strong! Right up our alley.

Re-releaase as part of the 20th anniversary encore series in 2016

dabinduppes (1) - Anaheim, California, USA - OCT 6, 2006 does not count
Im not a big fan of Stone’s brew. I love IPA, I love hops...but most of the brews Ive tried were too overboard. This beer is the exception. It made me reconsider Stone and go and start drinking my way thru the catalogue. Everytime I pour a glass of this, I cant help but to gush...its an incredible taste, perfect balance !

Pancakes (5) - Egg Harbor Township, New Jersey, USA - NOV 1, 2006 does not count
hoppy - citrus, grapefruit, head - creamy, color - amber, finish - long, carbonation - soft

Bigsilky (327) - Charleston, USA - MAY 18, 2008
Trade from Ross. One of the most beguilling brews I have ever had in front of me. On the outset, it looks and sounds just like a member of the barleywine clan. Ecru foam and a stately persimmon color. Stinky like a BW as well, with aeration this IPA shows a nice complexity of earthy, forest floor, and citrusy hops. Reminds me of my vocational days at a sawmill. Evergreen spice dances along with nutty caramel malt and what I can only describe as a breeze through the pines on a lunch break. Palate opens up to a bear hug of flavor. Dried apricot, stewed peaches, and a glorious hop spice coat the mouth and tempt with rolling hop bitterness that drips off the sides of your tongue. While this beer seduces you into portions of the mouthful, the sun has gone down in the hour it has taken me to finish. I wonder what the bitternes was like, was it resin, or just diesel in it’s tightly coiled youth? Fresh bread and herb continue. A spice in the finish that begins as the fruit begins to dry out has at least 3 hop voices and all are distinct. Glad I waited a while to drink this, sad that this is the only one. And no, that isn’t a banana in my pocket.

burpfrank (299) - carpinteria, California, USA - AUG 25, 2006
WOW!!The aroma was the best i’ve smelt so far!Candy inviting aroma.The smell alone begged me to drink it.Color was a warm amber.head was average and short lived.Nice lacing.The taste was very drinkable.sweet,red caramel flavor.medium bodied.Is it really 10% alcohol??so smooth.This could be my new favorite beer.I went to the new brewery and the employees said that they had a small taste and thought this was the best anniversary beer yet.this might be my favorite Stone brew!I don’t really like the rock gut over the top types like their Imperial russian stout,so this is good for me.as some of the ratewrs have said,I think this may be better with age.tastes like a young beer,but Oh! so good!Better go and buy some befoe I buy them out!!

bigbeersrule (115) - USA - FEB 22, 2008
Had an aged 10th on tap at Papago. The beer is still wonderfully hoppy and is quite a bit better than when it was first released now that it has had time to age. A big double IPA.

jblendy (521) - Hawthorne, New Jersey, USA - SEP 17, 2006
Pours light reddish golden/amber with abundant tan/amber head. Powerful aroma of sweet citrus hops, pine, and some malt characteristics. Flavor is intense citrus/floral hops, very piney, nice hint of the alcohol, and nice smoothing malts, very balanced. Full bodied palate, warming, and bitter with a hint of sweetness. Fairly unique IPA compared to others, but similar to other Stone IPA’s. That’s a good thing though.

adsynth (2) - Scottsdale, Arizona, USA - OCT 2, 2006 does not count
High gravity with 10% ABV, the balance is right on (akin to Stone’s Double Bastard). The nose carries pine resins with more fruit than flower notes. The color is darker than average IPA due to the toasted/roasted malts. Rusty amber. The carbonation is lighter due to high ABV. (my type of low "carb" beer) The taste is malt rich sherpa carrying a load of complex hops to the summit of your palate. I can’t wait to cellar a few of these.