overall

RATINGS: 624   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.9/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 300   ABV: 10%
Stone 10th Anniversary IPA harkens back to our earlier Anniversary Ales, with abundant hopping at many stages of the brewing process. Appropriately, the aroma is over-the-top, with pronounced piney and resiny hop flavors combined with tropical fruit esters and more subtle notes of toasted malts and alcohol. Our Stone 10th Anniversary Ale weighs in at 10% alcohol by volume (perfect for a 10th anniversary beer), and has a little more color and malt character than our other IPAs. In addition to using the new Summit hop variety in the brewhouse to provide the powerful bitterness, we went back through our records and found some of our favorite hops over the years, and used them to flavor this brew, including Chinook, Crystal, and large doses of Simcoe in the dry-hop to provide a huge, complex, piney, fruity and floral hop character. This is a colossal beer, big in every sense: hoppy, malty, rich, and strong! Right up our alley.

Re-releaase as part of the 20th anniversary encore series in 2016

rmussman (1701) - California, USA - FEB 28, 2007
Aroma is very sweet, with a hint of berries and apricots. Appearance is wonderful. Dark brown and orange combine to make a nice hue. Head is abundant but settles quickly. Mouthfeel is smooth with a nice sweet apricot/fruity taste. Flavor is excellent, full of hops and has a lingering pleasent taste. An excellent brew.

glennmastrange (2940) - hobe sound, Florida, USA - JUL 9, 2007
UPDATED: AUG 26, 2007 3 Qt. 5.4 fl oz bottle. Oh yeah! This one does it for me. All the best in a DIPA. I thought I was going to be drinking an IPA (that’s what the bottle says), but one whiff erased that idea. Hops up the ass. Malts were caramely, hops smelled of herbs, pine and grapefruit, and the yeast of leather. Dates, brown sugar and smoke were in the background. Head was rocky, white, mostly lasting with excellent lacing. Color was a hazy tan/orange. Flavor started moderately sweet and acidic and finished acidic, bitter and a touch acetic. Palate was medium, oily/creamy and the carbonation was soft. It finishes just a touch astringent. Maybe because I was on a beach in southern Long Island and it was a perfect day with great food, but this was undoubtably the best beer I’ve ever tasted. I’m still picking this stuff out of my teeth.

WesKBob (563) - Bethany, Oklahoma, USA - MAR 27, 2009
Pours an opaque orange amber color. Thin off-white head with decent retention and lacing. Aroma is complex, with dominant citrus and floral hop notes. Flavor is even more complex, with some very sweet caramel notes balancing out the hop bitterness. Mouthfeel is thick and slightly viscous but very smooth and hides the alcohol well. Absolutely outstanding. I can only imagine what it would have been like fresh.

ElGaucho (2401) - Minnetonka, Minnesota, USA - NOV 25, 2006
Bottle. I was fortunate to find this brew after I thought for sure it was all gone. I was in the Bay Area 2 weeks ago and forgot to look for it, and 3 months after it’s release I figured for sure it was gone. Luckily I was able to locate a couple of bottles. Sticky sweet aroma, wonderful. Reddish amber with plentiful, visible carbonation. Large, off-white head; frothy, creamy. Unbelievably good. Strong, piney, sweet. Perfect balance. A little too strong of an alcohol presence, otherwise, IPAs don’t get much better than this.

jgd0608 (187) - Zeeland, Michigan, USA - NOV 29, 2006
Bomber courtesy of Secret Santa! Pours a dark amber, with 2 fingers of creamy beige head. Smells of floral, pine, grapefruit. I’ll probably sniff this one longer than i drink it. Wow this beer looks great, head slowing going down, leaving a nice lacing around the glass. Tastes of grapefruit, Very nicely balanced, Malty, followed by a nice kick of hops, was kind of hopin for a bit more hops, but i’m not complainin. They have also hid the 10% perfectly, just the slightest hint. This is definitely, one of the finer Doulbe IPAs i’ve had, and the first of Stones beers that i’ve had, now i know, i must try them all! Thanks again Santa!!

eyesandsmiles (179) - Mission Viejo, California, USA - DEC 14, 2006
Its the best I’ve had from stone yet. It has a huge taste. So good I’m probably going to buy one in a few hours.

BillN (3) - USA - DEC 17, 2006 does not count
One of the best beers ever brewed? Love this stuff, fresh hops, alcohol well hidden, strong, bold and flavorful, VIVA STONE!

alafito (334) - tijuana, MEXICO - DEC 29, 2006
Tap at the Brewery... wow!! this imperial y close to perfect.. the best of its kind ive ever had. Beautiful apricot golden color with a thick foam head that lasts more than the beer. Taste is slightly grapefruit but balanced out very well with large amount of malts, slight honey and brown sugar too. Oranges and butter, slight woody and pine notes with a creamy rich mango and peach finish. Very complex and full bodied brew. Mellow throught but with a big backbone... its a must try!!!

bitter (1136) - Henderson, Nevada, USA - JAN 2, 2007
draft stone brewery: creamy white headed pour that was thick and dense on top of a copper orange slightly hazen liquid below. nose of big fruit citrus and flowery sticky hops, pine. nice nose that deepens with fruit as the beer warms. flavors push the same characters with nice grapefruit bitterness and some sweetness. well balanced smooth and crisp. would never know its 10% except i started feeling it a bit faster. an excellent beer.

mspindler (489) - Alta Loma, California, USA - FEB 8, 2009
22 oz. Bottle. I’m a big fan of this one. First off, this is much more like a barley wine at this point than an IPA. I think it’s better now than it was fresh. Pours a sparkling reddish copper with a tan head. Great lacing and retention. Aroma is fantastically caramely and a bit buttery with a slight hop twang. The flavor has tons of caramel that’s perfectly balanced by citrus and pine hoppiness. Not particularly complex, but incredibly smooth and balanced. Finishes with a nice bitter bite. Chewy with low carbonation. One of my favorites and I’ll be sad to see it go.