overall

RATINGS: 624   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.9/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 300   ABV: 10%
Stone 10th Anniversary IPA harkens back to our earlier Anniversary Ales, with abundant hopping at many stages of the brewing process. Appropriately, the aroma is over-the-top, with pronounced piney and resiny hop flavors combined with tropical fruit esters and more subtle notes of toasted malts and alcohol. Our Stone 10th Anniversary Ale weighs in at 10% alcohol by volume (perfect for a 10th anniversary beer), and has a little more color and malt character than our other IPAs. In addition to using the new Summit hop variety in the brewhouse to provide the powerful bitterness, we went back through our records and found some of our favorite hops over the years, and used them to flavor this brew, including Chinook, Crystal, and large doses of Simcoe in the dry-hop to provide a huge, complex, piney, fruity and floral hop character. This is a colossal beer, big in every sense: hoppy, malty, rich, and strong! Right up our alley.

Re-releaase as part of the 20th anniversary encore series in 2016

0o9i (439) - Reno, Nevada, USA - OCT 21, 2006
UPDATED: OCT 22, 2006 Bottled. Clear, honey colored body w/big off-white head, giant in size, sticky lace. Aroma is rich and malty, yeasty and hoppy. Smells sweet and wonderful like Yulesmith. Touch of alcohol in aroma. Body is fullish with light carb and a nicely dry finish. Flavor is rich: sweet caramel and honey with noticeable hops in a floral presence, leaving behind a pollenated and lovely finish. Delicious. Coylingly sweet. Man it’s good tho. In spite of ABV, it’s sessionable--it’s that tasty. Reminds me SO much of Yulesmith, but missing a few key components (orange and all that yeastiness!) and with more alcohol. The alcohol is invisible. Mmmm...good.

MilkmanDan (1942) - Eagan, Minnesota, USA - NOV 12, 2006
Rich, brilliant auburn. Nose very hoppy and tart, sharp and hugely citric. Flavor is wonderful, extremely hoppy, massive citric and herbal hops notes. Great finish, tongue aggressively burns. Mouthfeel is largely incomparable, extremely rich and full, like drinking a hop-coated pillow. Simply one of the best mouthfeels I’ve ever experienced with a beer.

BCAR (223) - Naperville, Illinois, USA - NOV 17, 2006
Big, Big, Big beer. Aroma is deep caramel, piney hop goodness, and strength in alcohol. Frothy tan head with a clear, rich orange/amber color. Truly unlike othere Double IPA’s. Huge flavors with the hop complexities and strong malt profile. Finish is a little thick on the tongue, but I never argue when 10% is involved. I can stand a little burn for the amount of great ingredients in this brew. Always nice to have a brewer push the limits.

ElGaucho (2401) - Minnetonka, Minnesota, USA - NOV 25, 2006
Bottle. I was fortunate to find this brew after I thought for sure it was all gone. I was in the Bay Area 2 weeks ago and forgot to look for it, and 3 months after it’s release I figured for sure it was gone. Luckily I was able to locate a couple of bottles. Sticky sweet aroma, wonderful. Reddish amber with plentiful, visible carbonation. Large, off-white head; frothy, creamy. Unbelievably good. Strong, piney, sweet. Perfect balance. A little too strong of an alcohol presence, otherwise, IPAs don’t get much better than this.

jgd0608 (187) - Zeeland, Michigan, USA - NOV 29, 2006
Bomber courtesy of Secret Santa! Pours a dark amber, with 2 fingers of creamy beige head. Smells of floral, pine, grapefruit. I’ll probably sniff this one longer than i drink it. Wow this beer looks great, head slowing going down, leaving a nice lacing around the glass. Tastes of grapefruit, Very nicely balanced, Malty, followed by a nice kick of hops, was kind of hopin for a bit more hops, but i’m not complainin. They have also hid the 10% perfectly, just the slightest hint. This is definitely, one of the finer Doulbe IPAs i’ve had, and the first of Stones beers that i’ve had, now i know, i must try them all! Thanks again Santa!!

eyesandsmiles (179) - Mission Viejo, California, USA - DEC 14, 2006
Its the best I’ve had from stone yet. It has a huge taste. So good I’m probably going to buy one in a few hours.

BillN (3) - USA - DEC 17, 2006 does not count
One of the best beers ever brewed? Love this stuff, fresh hops, alcohol well hidden, strong, bold and flavorful, VIVA STONE!

alafito (334) - tijuana, MEXICO - DEC 29, 2006
Tap at the Brewery... wow!! this imperial y close to perfect.. the best of its kind ive ever had. Beautiful apricot golden color with a thick foam head that lasts more than the beer. Taste is slightly grapefruit but balanced out very well with large amount of malts, slight honey and brown sugar too. Oranges and butter, slight woody and pine notes with a creamy rich mango and peach finish. Very complex and full bodied brew. Mellow throught but with a big backbone... its a must try!!!

bitter (1136) - Henderson, Nevada, USA - JAN 2, 2007
draft stone brewery: creamy white headed pour that was thick and dense on top of a copper orange slightly hazen liquid below. nose of big fruit citrus and flowery sticky hops, pine. nice nose that deepens with fruit as the beer warms. flavors push the same characters with nice grapefruit bitterness and some sweetness. well balanced smooth and crisp. would never know its 10% except i started feeling it a bit faster. an excellent beer.

BleacherBum (177) - Blowing Rock, North Carolina, USA - MAY 18, 2008
I don’t rate as much as the serious NERDS, but I felt compelled to speak up here: The beer is amazing. When it comes to medium-bodied ales, I want balance. BALANCE!!!! This delivered. The hoppiness is balanced between citrus and spice. The malt is the caramel that I find so savory and luscious. The nuttiness is the base. The finish hugs me. A harmonious brew.