overall

RATINGS: 627   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.91/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 300   ABV: 10%
Stone 10th Anniversary IPA harkens back to our earlier Anniversary Ales, with abundant hopping at many stages of the brewing process. Appropriately, the aroma is over-the-top, with pronounced piney and resiny hop flavors combined with tropical fruit esters and more subtle notes of toasted malts and alcohol. Our Stone 10th Anniversary Ale weighs in at 10% alcohol by volume (perfect for a 10th anniversary beer), and has a little more color and malt character than our other IPAs. In addition to using the new Summit hop variety in the brewhouse to provide the powerful bitterness, we went back through our records and found some of our favorite hops over the years, and used them to flavor this brew, including Chinook, Crystal, and large doses of Simcoe in the dry-hop to provide a huge, complex, piney, fruity and floral hop character. This is a colossal beer, big in every sense: hoppy, malty, rich, and strong! Right up our alley.

Re-releaase as part of the 20th anniversary encore series in 2016

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 13/20
Silphium (3193) - Traverse City, Michigan, USA - SEP 12, 2006
Bottle thanks to mjames. Clear amber to light copper body, thick buff head. Aroma is classic Stone, which made me quickly realize how long its been since I last opened one of their beers. Big, bright, bitter grapefruity hops in addition to pine cones paired with sweet caramely, toasty malts, sugary, with potent alcohol presence. The flavor was a big let-down, though, a brew of grapefruit, pine, and tropical fruits overwhelming the simple one-dimensional bready malts. Alcohol is warm and prickly. The hops and alcohol effectively annihilate the palate. This is hopped-up firewater; even when the hops age and fade away, there isnt any malt depth to carry this beer, so I guess its best consumed now. Disappointing offering from Stone. Routine or even mundane is sometimes acceptable, but this pales in comparison to similar beers the brewery already produces. A creative streak is due.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
marcus (9538) - Sacramento, California, USA - NOV 10, 2006
This golden/copper ale poured with a foamy off-white head, eliciting a strong citrus and hop aroma. The complex flavor includes characteristics of pine, grapefruit and roasted malt. These flavors are very pleasant but are, unfortunately, overwhelmed by hop bitterness and alcohol. Hopheads will probably enjoy this beer, but it was just too bitter for my taste.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
beerbuzzmontreal (3487) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - JAN 15, 2008
Bottle, courtesy of bu11zeye. Pours a hazy amber color with a thin white head. Interesting aroma of resinous, piney, spicy hops. The flavor has the same hops that were detected in the aroma with strong sweetness and an unpleasant, unidentified element. The body is light with a liquorous texture and medium carbonation.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
PhillyCraft (6450) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - FEB 20, 2013
Bottle a good 3-4 years back. Poured hazy orange with big head. Aromas and flavor were citrus, penny, malt, and stale pineapple. I think this was sitting on my local liquor store shelf for a good year or more.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Fatehunter (2410) - Corbett, Oregon, USA - OCT 13, 2016
Pours a half finger of head on hazy straw body. Aroma is orange, pine and grapefruit. Taste is big and bold grapefruit and pine bitterness. It grabs the back of the mouth. Texture is thicker.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
3fourths (9265) - Boulder, Colorado, USA - AUG 28, 2006
UPDATED: OCT 26, 2006 I found this at Pletcher’s in State College, PA, and they said it arrived on three days before, though they didn’t have it on the shelves yet. Yes I’ve been spektical about this beer, ever since the first ratings were posted and it jumped quickly thereafter into the top 50. That’s how it goes with special releases which are high gravity, and usually you can count on them disappointing. Combine this with the fact that my fondness for Stone IPA has dropped significantly in the last year or two, and how I never really enjoyed Ruination. However, the Stone 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th anniversary IPAs were all very nice. Stone 10th isnt close, that’s my initial impression. The color is a medium dark amber, and the tan colored head sits on top as a thin film. The nose on this thing is ok, but lacking complexity, lacks juice, and there’s still an issue with the yeast, which I don’t particularily like. It’s a bit too muddy and doughy for my tastes, when it should be more transparent. The honey, cedar and pineapple hop scents are decent, though. The bitterness is subdued, and the palate is almost frothy and creamy. I prefer crispness personally, but creamy is OK some times, as is seen in the first batch of Avery Maharaja (though that’s where the similarities end). Caramel and maple flavored malts are present, but only show up on the tip on the tongue, at the first sip really. After that there’s a chewy pine and cedar hop flavor, with some toffee and dough flavors over the middle, finishing more fruity and lightly sweet. Does this blow me away? No.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 13/20
vyvvy (6056) - Florissant, Missouri, USA - SEP 10, 2006
First the good - nice bottle design and nice aroma. After that this thing is an overrated trainwreck of a beer. It pour clear copper with a good sized beige head. On the aroma I was getting lots of floral simcoe hops that had me excited to taste the beer... the taste didnt live up to expectations. Medium to full body that is cloying and sticky with some semi-soft carbonation. Taste starts off with cotton candy like sweetness and a ton of alcohol. This says it is 10% and it doesnt mask any of it - I would have guessed it was much more due to the horrible burn this has. My favorite beers are IIPAs, BSAs and ASAs and I dont think Ive had more burn on a beer than this one. The finish has some spicy hops (first time I noticed any) but the alcohol is the most dominate aspect. This beer is nothing of what it is cracked up to be. I dont know if ones feel they have to give this a good rating because it is a "Stone anniversary beer", but I cant think of a more overhyped beer ever. I got two bottles and will not be consuming the other one myself. For a brewery that takes such an arrogant stand for being the epitomy of quality this is a hypocritical offering - its far from being yellow and fizzy, but it is also not good.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 13/20
badnewsbeers (2312) - Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA - SEP 21, 2006
clear amber body with no visible carbonation and tiny white head..aroma starts with sweet/tangy hops, herbs, alcohol, and apple...flavor is very biting and has the same "tang" experienced in the nose...strong bitter, piney hops dominate here as well...watery palate; one of the most over-rated beers ever!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 13/20
Reid (2393) - Salem, Oregon, USA - OCT 19, 2006
Nice looking brew, dark/burnt orange , slightly hazy with a lovelly thicj creamy off white head ( eggshell). Nice bitter hoppy, citric aroma, still quite fresh, so good so far. But the taste, I will have to go against the grain, its way too sweet. Yes there is a great amount of hoppiness swirling about the mouth but underlying sweetness sort of messes this up for me, it sticks to my tongue and becomes cloying, putting me off the great hopping. To cloying on the palte, too sweet. Man i really feel bad about going against the grain on this..i love most everything Stone does, but even for a Scot who likes sweet beer this was too much. Thanks for the beer "kenb"!!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
scania (188) - Malm, SWEDEN - JAN 20, 2007
Bottle. Amber with small off-white head. Aroma: Hoppy, grapefruit. Catty. Flavor: Orange-peel, grape and malt sweetness. Nice, but a bit unbalanced, too much grapefruit in aroma and flavor