overall

RATINGS: 1120   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.87/5   SEASONAL: Series   EST. CALORIES: 276   ABV: 9.2%
Who knew a worldwide hop shortage in 2008 would give rise to such a memorable, delicious beer? When it came time to craft a commemorative offering for our 12th anniversary, we decided to trade in the bitterness of hops for the bitterness of unsweetened chocolate, and paired that with flaked oats. Featuring a thick, rich, roasty mouthfeel and chocolate-heavy flavors and aromas, this onyx-colored, malt-forward beauty became an instant classic that shares space on our liquid trophy case alongside our hop-focused fan favorites. Rebrewed for our 20th Anniversary Encore Series.

Hops: Summit, Willamette, Galena & Ahtanum

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
hamsterglory (48) - Bryan, Texas, USA - MAR 28, 2009
this beer is stupid good. theres no way around it. blacker than life before Jesus, with a cleveland browns ballcap to boot on a head. this thing smells like whoa. then it tastes like whoa. and then, when you go in again, more whoa. huge chocolate aroma and flavors. very dark, nearly burnt chocolate. my first impression was charred liquid fudge, but in a good way. the alcohol burn hit the back of the throat fairly hard in the first few sips, mellowed in the middle, then rears its hothead in any serious pause. yes, the alcohol bites here. but thats okay. coffee and bleeding heart juice round out the edges making this as much of an afternoon treat as a midnight sleeping pill. i like it. my buddy here, in the flannel shirt, he likes it. we agree that, at times, the flavor is almost overpowering. while punching where it should punch and smoothing where it should smooth, sometimes it throws in a kick and belts me just below the tongue-belt. whoa. and wow. i said to my buddy josh here, just now and meaning it, "this is one of the more intense drinking experiences ive had." and it was. and it is. for about two more sips.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
shotgunn (34) - Boise, Idaho, USA - APR 9, 2009
It pours black with a thin brown head that laced the glass nicely. To the nose it wasnt the overpowering aroma that I was expecting. It did have hints of chocolate to the nose. When it first hits the tongue it is smooth and chocolatey. It finishes with a really dark roast coffee that is very pleasant. The 9.2% ABV isnt noticeable and seems that it would sneek up very quickly. Overall...WOW! I would and will try this again. I cant believe I havent tried this sooner.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
SanfordBrewer (1537) - Sanford, Florida, USA - DEC 25, 2009
UPDATED: SEP 11, 2010 (tap at Hollingshead in Orange CA & 22oz btl)

opq-bk, tan-head, med-co2, med-full-body.

aroma: oatmeal anise alchl.

flavor: silky oatmeal-sweet T1, roast-malt dark-fruit alchl coffee smokey anise T2, chrrd alchl bitter-chclt T3.

dark, rich, complex, awesome.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
applesquash (2) - USA - FEB 24, 2010 does not count
This is one of my top 3 all time favorites. I got one from a nearby market and enjoyed it so much I went back for 2 more but they only had 1. The guy mentioned they did have a case in the back but werent going to open it. So I bought the case. I think I was tricked. What a nice trick to play. Trick me like that any time.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
toxichop (597) - South Gate, California, USA - SEP 1, 2011
Had this on stone tap takeover and loved it and recently got myself a vintage bottle of this and it was amazing. Poured into a tulip, dark with a brown head with an aroma full of bitter chocolate, and burnt malt. Taste is bitter and sweet, full of chocolate and nuts, very creamy. Finishes smooth with a long aftertaste, a little bit sticky. Very nice brew one of my fav stouts.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Heathen (1500) - Wilmington, Delaware, USA - AUG 28, 2008
THOUGHTS: A great beer. One of the darkest I’ve ever had. It didn’t hide the alcohol, but it isn’t harsh. Stone makes some of the best anniversary ales around. Not super complex, but who cares when simplicity is this good. TECHNICAL: Bottle. Poured an opaque black with an average, tan head that mostly diminished and left good lacing. The aroma was mostly alcohol, heavy mild coffee and lighter dark chocolate. The initial flavor was moderately sweet and lightly acidic and bitter; while the finish was heavily sweet and moderately bitter with and average to long duration. There was coffee, milk chocolate, dark fruit and alcohol. The full body was creamy with fizzy carbonation and a light to moderate alcoholic finish

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
allfreej (556) - Louisville, Kentucky, USA - AUG 31, 2008
Bottled. Inky black pour, with a nice brown head that faded quickly, leaving a bit of lace on the glass. The nose was roasty and chocolatey. Flavor was bitter chocolate, roasted, smoky malt, and a nice touch of alcohol underlying it all. The finish was soft, perhaps due to the oatmeal. Dry finish. I really enjoyed this one, and the use of bitter chocolate to replace the extra hops was genius.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 20/20
djaeon (15) - Chula Vista, California, USA - MAR 24, 2009
I love good stouts, porters, etc., and this one didnt let me down. I get a bottle almost whenever I see it. Pours thick and pitch black with a small milk-chocolate colored head. Roasty aroma with a hint of chocolate and slight hoppiness. Excellent taste. Im thinking coffee/espresso with some dark chocolate sauce thrown in. Excellent, silky smooth. No problems putting this one down at all. Its be an easy session beer if the alcohol was halved (but who wants that). I agree with those who say the %9.2 alcohol content is well hidden.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Onenote81 (1002) - Winston-Salem, North Carolina, USA - MAY 1, 2012
22oz bottle consumed on 10/30/10. Reviewed from notes. Poured into a goblet-style glass. Pours a dirty, muddy deep brown/black with about a half-inch of dark mocha head. Some lace left behind. The nose is full of creamy chocolate, roasted malts, fresh coffee. Everything is still bold and pronounced. Great smell. The mouth is perfectly silky and smooth. Decent amount of carbonation backing, even after 2 years. Excellent finish. The flavors meld well with notes of milk chocolate, coffee, and a bit of a vinous twang on the back end. The oatmeal really adds a smooth creamy dimension that fits this beer wonderfully. Im glad I was able to try this. Great beer!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
nathan30533 (1020) - Clifton, Ohio, USA - JUN 20, 2015
Great beer. This one was a little over five years aged and great tasting. Very smooth beer and so balanced. Great looking, smelling, and tasting.