Stone 13th Anniversary Ale

overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip

RATINGS: 746   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.87/5   SEASONAL: Special   IBU: 90   EST. CALORIES: 285   ABV: 9.5%
Stone 13th Anniversary Ale pours brilliant deep red with a light tan foam. Up front, the aroma is all piney, resinous and citrus hops. Upon tasting, the hops are still on the front, and they are balanced with the malty, toffee like flavors contributed from the blend of crystal and amber malts used in the brewhouse. The finish is deliciously bitter, with a touch of warmth provided by the 9.5% alcohol. Bitterness comes in at 90+ IBU.

billism (44) - Missouri City, Texas, USA - AUG 19, 2009
Pours a dark amber/ruby color. Darker than the Bastard. Thick tan head that diminishes within a few minutes to a thin skin. Hopy, piney, citrus aroma but can smell cozy malts, too. I even smell a faint scent of celery in there. Tastes of crazy amount of hops accompanied by some sweet malt flavor in there for a second then the hops comes in and runs it off. This is like a very hopy barley wine almost. Thick and chewy. Hop heads should love this one. I know the bottle says not to cellar this, but I might try it anyway.

ultracake (42) - salem, Oregon, USA - AUG 19, 2009
A 22 tasted dry in my mouth like a dry wine had a bitter finish, light sweet taste, hops seemed to have gotten lost in the mix of flavors

Peterlemonjelo (42) - Birmingham, Alabama, USA - DEC 5, 2009
Beautiful dark ruby color with a nice head and lacing. Aroma/taste is very intense hops (citrus/grapefruit) but amazingly balanced for such a hoppy beer. One of my favorites. I would have a hard time thinking of a beer I enjoyed drinking more.

Bitzybrew (41) - New York, New York, USA - OCT 27, 2009
Another great beer from Stone. A challenging one to decipher. I think some were scared of this one, but I loved it.

Alcohoarder (34) - Seattle, Washington, USA - AUG 29, 2009
This beer is big. And big is fine if you can keep it balanced. This beer, however, did not seem balanced to me. Tons of rich, heavy malt and a bunch of hops that are prevalent, but overwhelmed by the richness of the malts. The alcohol content is also too prominent. I knew immediately that I was drinking something in the 10% range.I like it better when the alcohol doesn’t make itself known. Happy 13th Stone. I usually love your beer, but this one was a miss for me.

AndyAvalanche (32) - Massachusetts, USA - JUL 6, 2011
22 oz. bomber poured into a Duvel Tulip glass. Brown in color, if you hold it up to the light there are some slight reddish highlights to it. Has a light brown head with many different size bubbles that erupts like a volcano at first and takes several minutes to work its way back down, and provides excellent lacing. The smell is outstanding, a hope lovers dream. Pine and citrus hops jump out at you, with a slight warm feeling of alcohol blended in. The taste is also excellent. Once again stone has aggressive bold flavors and they do so with the hops here as several of their other brews in the past. Very hoppy but not as crazy as it is on tap and some time to fester in the bottle really helped, pine and citrus hops gives great flavor and blends well with the alcohol, a few earthy tones as well. Mouthfeel is very good, obviously full bodied. Very hoppy finishes bitter and warm, could be a little cleaner, good drinkability as well. Gonna miss this one. Bought this almost a year ago and let it age. Age did it very well, I know it’s recommended to have enjoyed this one right away but I really think it mellowed out some of the flavors that were slightly too intense and mellowed them out quite nicely.

bwilley (24) - Fullerton, California, USA - JUL 24, 2009
UPDATED: JUL 27, 2009 Great looking beer with a rich brown/amber color and a nice head and a bit of lacing. Nose is full of citrus and hops. Nice flavor with a bit of a sharpness at the end. Lighter on the tongue than you would expect.

edmedina (21) - Chesterfield, Virginia, USA - JUL 12, 2009
It’s been a while since I wrote an official review. For tonight’s review I am going to give my thoughts on the latest anniversary brew from Stone Brewing. This is the 13th Anniversary beer that was recently released. One thing I noticed on the bottle is that they suggest consuming this now and not aging it. Kind of makes me wonder, what an aged version of this beer will taste like. The 13th Anniversary is listed as an Imperial Red Ale. It’s pretty unusual to see a big red ale like this but hey I’m game. Aroma: First thing I noticed is the grassy/piney floral hop character. If I had to guess they aroma hop they used, I would say Simcoe (which when I checked on their site it states they used Simcoe and Centennial). The aroma is a nice surprise. Appearance: It’s a dark copper/amber color. I got about 1 – 2 fingers worth of head. Outside of a slight chill haze the beer itself is pretty clear Taste: Immediately you taste the bittering hops (their site states it is Chinook hops) and even some of the aroma hops. However, that is immediately balanced by the sweet malt character. You really get much of anything else in this beer. Mouthfeel: Two words really bitter and dry. Nothing else is present in the mouthfeel. Overall impression: I am sort of torn on this one. When I think of an amber/red ale I think more along the lines of Troeg’s Nugget Nectar and Bud’s American Ale. Both are good examples of two extremes of the style. What you have here is a red ale on steroids. This is great to give it a try once having more than that, well that would be hard for me to do.