Stone 13th Anniversary Ale

overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip

RATINGS: 746   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.87/5   SEASONAL: Special   IBU: 90   EST. CALORIES: 285   ABV: 9.5%
Stone 13th Anniversary Ale pours brilliant deep red with a light tan foam. Up front, the aroma is all piney, resinous and citrus hops. Upon tasting, the hops are still on the front, and they are balanced with the malty, toffee like flavors contributed from the blend of crystal and amber malts used in the brewhouse. The finish is deliciously bitter, with a touch of warmth provided by the 9.5% alcohol. Bitterness comes in at 90+ IBU.

• Statistics
  • Locate Sellers

SuIIy (1984) - Burlington, Vermont, USA - JUL 11, 2009
22oz bottle. Pours a redish color that is transparanet with a large foamy off white head. Head retains at about half a finger and is foamy throughout the beer. Nose is piney hops with light citrus notes. There is a nice malt note as well, little bit nutty. Palate is a little fluffy and a little bit carbonated and sticky. Flavors are hop notes that are piney and stickey, some very miniscule nut notes, and a bitter finish.

TURDFERGUSON (4058) - Durham, North Carolina, USA - JUL 11, 2009
Hmmm. I don’t really get this beer and why stone is making it. The aroma is pretty nice but the flavor is very one demensional with a lasting bitter finish. Caramel, toffee, grapefruit, pine, tea, alcohol. This is less exciting than AB. Kinda lame if you ask me.

walleye (1100) - Sterling Heights, Michigan, USA - JUL 2, 2009
Poured a cloudy mahogany with a big light tan head. When I popped the cap I got a big hit of sweet pine when I put my nose to the glass I got the pine with some honey and malt,caramel and sweet chocolate and dark cherries. Flavor, had a time with this the 1st few sips I thought this isn’t that good but I stuck to it. The alcohol took away a lot from this the sweet pine was not there but it’s bitter cousin was there, could not get any honey or chocolate. the aroma and the buzz was worth the 6.99 I spent

MaltDawg (1344) - Richmond, Virginia, USA - JUL 10, 2009
(Sample Date: 7/7/2009 Source:Other) June 2009 22 oz bottle courtesy of beerandIT. Lots of (cat box) simcoe hop aroma over caramelized malts sugars. Clear amber brown with a rocky light tan head. Big citrus and resin hop flavor with some supporting caramel sweetness. Medium body and mouth feel. Medium finish with robust residual bitterness.

JCB (3999) - Durham, North Carolina, USA - JUL 13, 2009
Bomber from Sam’s, Durham. Dark and dusky pour, like rust, with a nice creamy head. Nose is very sharp and boozy, with caramel malts, a generous amount of citric intensity, and some grass. It’s an odd one: on the one hand, it comes across like a junior Double Bastard (Bastard and a Half?), needing some age to cool down; but on the other hand, the grassy, resinous hops are the primary appeal of the brew, I suppose. Ultimately, while it’s a passable brew and enjoyable on its own, it falls short in each of those areas and ends up a bit muddled. After a good run on Anniversary beers, Stone falls short of the mark this year.

inkubus27 (269) - highland, Indiana, USA - JUL 16, 2009
Poured a nice dark copper color with a great head... aroma was fantastic and dominated by hops. Flavor was way to biting and bitter... I love IPA’s and heavily hopped beers, but this had an astringent biting unsavory bitterness. Not a bad beer, but I wouldn’t buy another bottle.

User37895 (3085) - - JUL 17, 2009
Bottle from SL. Poured an orange brown with an off white head. Pine citrus hops with some floral notes. Caramel, raisins, molasses type aspects in the toffee malt base. Darned bitter and resembled the Arrogant B, but not nearly as good. Acidity and astringency the drawbacks on this one. Was disappointed after all the hype. Maybe I need to hit this again, since I was predisposed to expect liquid gold or something like that?

ScoWRee (425) - Perkiomen, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 18, 2009
Pours a deep dark brown ( Cloa Color) with a thin tan head. Aroma of hops. Smells like a Pinetree. Taste is very hoppy with a hint of malt. Commercial description is acurate. A very intresting brew.

Schroppfy (2362) - Łódż, Warsaw, Poland; Michigan, Ohio, USA - JUL 28, 2009
Wow, who would think Stone would make a big, crystal malty American Strong with a boatload of, gasp!, resinous hops! I’m shocked! This is definitely a style that they do better than anyone; the flavors are solid and hold together pretty well, it’s drinkable for a big beer. Not all that lively shortly after the pour. But you know what? I just don’t really like the beer. Give me hops, sure, but give them to me in a different vehicle once in a while, or choose some different hops. I’m not trying to be mean here. I need a Smoked Porter to get me through my disappointment.

obguthr (7078) - Staunton, Virginia, USA - AUG 9, 2009
Strong aroma of grapefruit which overpowers everything else, but the smell of caramel malts are also buried in there. Cloudy brown with a medium yellow head. It tastes of freshly varnished wood. Resinous mouthfeel and excessive alcohol. This beer is a tribute to excess. If that rings your bell, you’ll love it. I prefer balance and moderation.