overall

RATINGS: 775   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.77/5   SEASONAL: Special   IBU: 100   EST. CALORIES: 267   ABV: 8.9%
20th Anniversary Encore Series: Stone 14th Anniversary Emperial IPA is a dry-bodied ale thatís powerfully spicy with an earthy aroma. On the palate, peppery hops assert themselves early and often, with malt sweetness and a light biscuit flavor making a brief appearance before a long, complex and decisively bitter finish. There is one thing decidedly San Diego about this beer, and thatís its aggressive dose of hops. 20th Anniversary Encore Series: Stone 14th Anniversary Emperial IPA is brewed to enjoy fresh but true to its origin, ages especially well on a six-month long ocean voyage.

nick76 (4399) - Tampa, Florida, USA - JUL 9, 2010
The aroma is very hoppy with floral hops and bread like malts. The appearance is hazy gold with a medium head. The taste is like the aroma with an astringent finish. The palate is smooth. Overall this is OK.

HOPSHUNTER (742) - Tampa, Florida, USA - JUL 8, 2010
Bottle. Poured a slightly hazy golden color with a tall foamy white head. Nose is certainly hop forward with big earthy, grass notes with a lighter note of bread and slight pepper. Mostly full body with a sticky mouth feel and ample carbonation. Lots of tannic bitterness in the flavor that I didnít love, big note of toasted malt, some caramel, grass, resinous pine, citrus, and pepper. Not bad at all, I will say that I imagine the first IPAs were probably closer to this than the IPAs currently produced.

ChazMania (669) - Oceanside, California, USA - JUL 8, 2010
Iíve been thinking about this beer for a long time.....I finally was able to get out and score one, and Iím glad I did, I need more!! The pour is incredibly clear, orange-yellow, crystal clear, perhaps the clearest Stone Iíve seen. Aroma is wonderfully floral, with mild bubblegum and cut grass. The first taste along with my (so far) other 3 swallows have been delicious. Flavors are distinctly as labeled, very British and very San-Diegian (Diegion? Hmmm). Great texture nicely balanced, it is not over bitter face smacker in the chin, but fantastically between creamy and bitter. I love it, and I must go buy more.

ketchepillar (1198) - Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA - JUL 8, 2010
Pepper. Onion. Garlic. Somewhat similar to Founders Double Trouble. Moderately sweet.

WeeHeavySD (3387) - Portland, Oregon, USA - JUL 7, 2010
Gotta keep my status up as number 1 stone rater. Shared with paul, kim, and keren of course. Pours golden with a bubbly head. Nose is sweet and lightly hopped. Taste is sweet and has a distinctive bitterness likely connected to the english ingredients.

tokyogoat (1503) - San Diego, California, USA - JUL 7, 2010
A damn fine beer, I would drink it until my liver gave way. Nothing offensive at all, just beer bliss. Stone is winning me back over with beers liek this. very tasty, and not the same citrus DIPA that everyone is making. Kudos.

dbarnold (1127) - Bethesda, Maryland, USA - JUL 7, 2010
Pretty good, if a little heavy. This is quite a big IPA. Like stone says, itís got that west coast feel, big hop nose, strong bitter flavor throughout. Whatís different to me is how full and robust the body is. Itís really a pretty heavy beer. I split a 22 with a good buddy and it took us a while to drink. Good stuff.

darkguardian (733) - Florida, USA - JUL 6, 2010
22oz bottle shared by hopscotch, purchased at Coffee District. Nose is spicy resiny hops with hints of pepper and a light hint of grapefruit. Holy crap this is bitter, punishing like Ruination on the palate but with none of the enjoyable hop flavor. The subtle spice and pepper notes of the english hops are just beaten down by a huge wall of IBUís. Sorry Stone, this one is well made but it didnít work for me. Not a good combination of styles.

drjay44 (3681) - Salida, Colorado, USA - JUL 6, 2010
22 oz. bottle, Pours a fluffy white head, with some lacing, over a slightly hazy, particle loaded, (rather ugly) gold (SRM 6) body.....nose is pine, resin, citrus, grass, toffee/caramel.....taste is light sweet to start then hop bitterness arrives, accompanied by pine, citrus, very light pineapple, finishing with a bit of licorice, and a lingering spicy hop bitterness, but the light sweet continues through.......mouth feel is medium, with slight stickiness, carbonation is medium. The hops dominate, but are not the heavy "Left Coast" bitter "hop bomb" that has become somewhat trite. It more nuanced, and well balanced with the hops adding spice as well as the more typical aromas and flavors we are accustomed to experiencing. BJCP 8/2/16/4/8

Maddog (527) - Kettering, Ohio, USA - JUL 6, 2010
Bottle from Jungle Jims in Fairfield, OH. Damn, I know IPAís came from England.....I frickin get that.....but our IPAís in every way are better. Iím all about tradition and history yada yada yada. Just hop the crap out of my ipa with American hops. I am sick to death of hearing the story. This is a good beer, but nothing that blows me away. English malts, very grassy nose, spicy hops, sticky, resinous and cloying. Good, but I just prefer Cascade, Simcoe, Columbus, Centenniel et al.