overall

RATINGS: 745   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.89/5   SEASONAL: Special   IBU: 100   EST. CALORIES: 324   ABV: 10.8%
In the 15 years since we entered the craft brewing world, change has come not in a straight line, but as an exponential curve. The craft brewing movement has long been called a "revolution." But today the air is so thick with revolution, it’s palpable. No longer is it only an awareness among the faithful; the unconverted are beginning to feel it as well. Denial and ignorance are disappearing in favor of opened eyes, curiosity and the sense that there’s something larger out there. For far too long we have been lied to. For far too long we have been oppressed by the notion that dumbed-down-lowest-common-denominator-mediocrity was all that we could, and should, expect. You might think we’re talking only about the world of brewing, but we’re not. There is a myriad of products out there masquerading as cheeses, coffee, chocolates, breads...hell, there is stuff pretending to be ’food’ that our great grandmothers would not recognize as such. Yet the craft brewing movement, together with the artisanal food movement, is making much progress. Where the industrial companies can’t dismiss or bury us, they are attempting to copy us with cheap facsimiles. Yes, chances are if you are holding this bottle, you understand these things to be true about the world of brewing. You also likely understand the importance of our fight at Stone against accepted ’norms’ over the last 15 years. We believed that America was ready to embrace things made with artistry and passion. You have spoken. Your response has been clear. We are not merely consumers to be spoon-fed whatever commodities need to be unloaded for a profit. We have only just begun to move the needle of this revolution, & mediocrity still reigns. Consider that when you reject dumbed down, industrialized food and drink, you also support craft brewing. The line is nearly seamless; we are fighting the same battle. We will not win in our lifetime, as the powers are too entrenched, and the masses too…fooled. And shackled. However, this is a revolution of ideas and of taste, and we will win. How do you want to be viewed by your children, and your children’s children? As a hero, or as the oppressed? (Those that don’t think they have been oppressed are already lost.) Ultimately, it’s up to you to decide. We hope you’ll stand with us. Strong and unyielding. You are needed. This bottle and its glorious contents are a celebration of you, brothers and sisters, and your importance in this fight. Cheers to all we’ve accomplished together in the past fifteen years, and cheers to the adventure ahead!

Re-released as part of the 20th anniversary encore series in 2016

SG111 (1968) - New York, USA - NOV 1, 2016
Bottled. Pours black, tan head. Aroma is pine, orange, grapefruit, roasted malt, dark chocolate, nice balance, slightly hop forward for a black ipa. Still retains that ipa character which is awesome. Flavor is very roasted, lots of bitter coffee, pine, very long bitter chocolate finish, grapefruit rind, citrus is nice. Great mouthfeel. Silky smooth. All around a great black ipa. Actually one of the best I’ve had.

Braudog (6803) - Yorktown, Virginia, USA - NOV 1, 2016
Bottle. How can I compete with the brewery description? Pitch black, rife with licorice and prunes, this is a big, chewy BIPA. Don’t bring it weak. Lives up to the original, all the way. #6392, 11/1/2016)
Earlier Rating: 11/17/2011 Total Score: 4.3
Draft at Taphouse. How can I compete with the brewery description? Pitch black, rife with licorice and prunes, this is a big, chewy BIPA. Don’t bring it weak. (#4355, 11/17/2011)

rick_91709 (491) - USA - OCT 30, 2016
Poured from a bottle. Black. Beige head that leaves a lot of lacing. Aroma of roasted malts and hops. Taste of coffee and pine. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

brigg (704) - New York, USA - OCT 30, 2016
(Bottle) Think black body and big brown head, nice lacing. Dark roasted malt aroma, dark chocolate, earthy, fruit, pine and grass, hint of coffee. Full bodied, creamy/oily body. Flavor is sweet and nutty; chocolate; long bitter finish with acidity.

furthur (1225) - Eagle River, Alaska, USA - OCT 29, 2016
2016 re-release, opaque black beer, big, almond colored head, heavy lace. Aroma is grilled grapefruit, cookies, malt and caramel. Taste is cookies, grapefruit, marmalade, coffee, touch of spruce. Palate is rich, but not syrupy. Carbonation moderate. Alcohol hides under that malt and hops, but you feel that warmth early down low. This is nice.

Darwenus (1159) - Virginia, USA - OCT 25, 2016
I was glad to get a chance to try this at Stone’s taproom in Richmond, and I was curious to see if I’d find it to be different from Sublimely Self Righteous, the regular release version of this recipe. Maybe some of it was in my head, but I thought this beer was quite different from SSR. I liked it enough to bring home a crowler, and that’s what I’m enjoying right now. This beer still pours brown with a thick, tan head and average carbonation. The aroma is still hop-forward, of course. Pine and grassy notes, but I didn’t really think I picked up on the rye-like notes that I notice in SSR. The taste is where I really detected a difference. There is a rush of chocolate and coffee on the finish that I just do not get out of SSR, and it’s delicious. Really wonderful. Hops in the nose, hops on the front of the tongue, and then sweet, rich smoothness at the end. As much as I love Sublimely, I do like this more. I’d buy this often if I could.

fuzzcro (295) - Illinois, USA - OCT 23, 2016
I had trouble finding this one to rate it. Drank it a couple weeks ago so details will be troublesome to recall but I noted 5 stars to help me. I found it very flavorful and full bodies with a great aroma which pulled me straight in. I remember thinking wow, I sure didn’t expect this!

beertholomeus (1813) - California, USA - OCT 20, 2016
Pours a near black color with a tan head. Dank hop, roasted malt, caramel, coffee, chocolate, toast and biscuit aroma and flavors. Medium full body and moderate carbonation. Chocolate, roasted malt, caramel and dank hop finish.

TattooJack (518) - Illinois, USA - OCT 19, 2016
Poured from the bottle of a bomber 4-pack pours oily jet black with rust collar. This one was strong coffee bean, hops, a bit of sweet from the chocolate, really strong, different flavors all over the place, but your taste buds can dry their tears with the high alcohol.

Capa (3391) - Kitsap, Washington, USA - OCT 17, 2016
Black with a tall beige cap. Powerful grapefruit, roasted malt, resin, cocoa notes throughout. Finish is slightly chalky and highly bitter from both the hops and burnt malt. Not a fan but purely because I don’t like the style.