overall

RATINGS: 745   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.89/5   SEASONAL: Special   IBU: 100   EST. CALORIES: 324   ABV: 10.8%
In the 15 years since we entered the craft brewing world, change has come not in a straight line, but as an exponential curve. The craft brewing movement has long been called a "revolution." But today the air is so thick with revolution, it’s palpable. No longer is it only an awareness among the faithful; the unconverted are beginning to feel it as well. Denial and ignorance are disappearing in favor of opened eyes, curiosity and the sense that there’s something larger out there. For far too long we have been lied to. For far too long we have been oppressed by the notion that dumbed-down-lowest-common-denominator-mediocrity was all that we could, and should, expect. You might think we’re talking only about the world of brewing, but we’re not. There is a myriad of products out there masquerading as cheeses, coffee, chocolates, breads...hell, there is stuff pretending to be ’food’ that our great grandmothers would not recognize as such. Yet the craft brewing movement, together with the artisanal food movement, is making much progress. Where the industrial companies can’t dismiss or bury us, they are attempting to copy us with cheap facsimiles. Yes, chances are if you are holding this bottle, you understand these things to be true about the world of brewing. You also likely understand the importance of our fight at Stone against accepted ’norms’ over the last 15 years. We believed that America was ready to embrace things made with artistry and passion. You have spoken. Your response has been clear. We are not merely consumers to be spoon-fed whatever commodities need to be unloaded for a profit. We have only just begun to move the needle of this revolution, & mediocrity still reigns. Consider that when you reject dumbed down, industrialized food and drink, you also support craft brewing. The line is nearly seamless; we are fighting the same battle. We will not win in our lifetime, as the powers are too entrenched, and the masses too…fooled. And shackled. However, this is a revolution of ideas and of taste, and we will win. How do you want to be viewed by your children, and your children’s children? As a hero, or as the oppressed? (Those that don’t think they have been oppressed are already lost.) Ultimately, it’s up to you to decide. We hope you’ll stand with us. Strong and unyielding. You are needed. This bottle and its glorious contents are a celebration of you, brothers and sisters, and your importance in this fight. Cheers to all we’ve accomplished together in the past fifteen years, and cheers to the adventure ahead!

Re-released as part of the 20th anniversary encore series in 2016

jtd6628 (362) - North Carolina, USA - SEP 1, 2011
Really good beer. I found its aroma very nice hoppiness with a hint of awkwardness. The flavor is hoppy and Chocolate malt and that awkwardness in the aroma it not a bad thing just something I have not taste a lot or before.

tysongillmore (362) - Tucson, Arizona, USA - NOV 21, 2015
Like a very bitter porter. Hoppy, dark chocolate. ---Rated via BeerBuddy for iPhone. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

FaithHealer1 (358) - SCOTLAND - JAN 5, 2012
Bottle at BrewDog Edinburgh. Pours q deep black. Aroma is hops, resin, citrus with a little liquorice. Taste is similar, really nice resinous character. Too bitter an aftertaste fo me, though. Still very nice.

IPAsavedMYlife (346) - St. Petersburg, Florida, USA - OCT 28, 2011
Head was slow to emerge, and then it went over the edge. I really felt like drinking out of a pint glass today for some reason. Maybe it’s the dreary weather. Maybe it’s the longing for those deep winter stouts. What head was left was very dark almost reddish brown in color, I sipped it, and then off the table. Mistake. This beer is obviously very fresh, it had just appeared at the local market. Nonetheless, color is jet black, carbonation is creamy. Mouthfeel is light. Smell is coffee, burnt peat, wet dog, must be the yeast... NW hops. Complex. Well hidden alcohol. Taste has more charred flavor, sweetness in the form of imitation cherries, and fresh hops much like an IPA. The hops sneak in from the back of the mouth and linger like a sonofabitch. Aftertaste is some real exhaust, we have coffee grounds, burnt coal, dryness from the hops, and of course the palate piercing paradoxical dirty monkey out to ruin you good time. The good news is the monkey isn’t all that bananas and the taste is one that can endure. If you’re palate has a discord for high IBU’s I suggest you look elsewhere. Overall this is a fun loving beer in the way that Arrogant Bastard has made us all a fan. Drinkability 5/5.

SmellGood (339) - Memphis, Tennessee, USA - NOV 12, 2011
Another great beer by the folks at Stone. Not sure what qualifies as a black IPA but this beer is so damn good, I’m not ashamed to display my ignorance. Aftertaste is spectacular!

1more4dessert (336) - Upstate, New York, USA - JAN 20, 2012
a little past it’s prime. Dark brown with ruby edge and a substantial head for a plus 10 abv brew. At first the smell reminded me of the sixpoint diesel which was very underwhelming, so perhaps my rating on this is prejudiced. There is a malt smell and herbalness in the aroma which is off putting. There are floral and citrus notes, but as I said, this is now a 6 month old IIPA. Mouthfeel is excellent, medium full bodied and satiny. Good roastiness and earthy hopiness but not overly bitter. The malt helps overcome any faded stickiness and syrupy sweetness that a fading IIPA might display. I have enjoyed the earlier anniversary Black india ale (extraordinarily conceited) or whatever it is called more so than this one.

jrmac (335) - South Carolina, USA - SEP 7, 2011
Awesome beer! Tastes a lot like a hopped up imperial stout. Quite nice and would cellar nicely

cleverlobo (331) - Connecticut, USA - MAR 19, 2012
Bottle; black with small dark brown head; aroma-pine, citrus, roasty, coffee, wood, spices; taste-light sweetness, very bitter, full body, creamy, average carbonation, bitter, long finish. Delicious. Very well done.

hollardustin (330) - Indiana, USA - SEP 23, 2011
UPDATED: SEP 25, 2011 Pours black with big tan . Aroma is very hoppy with tons of citrus hops. Taste is bitter black malts with little hops. Strange beer that smells like a great IPA but tastes more like a stout.

Steeeve (327) - Ambler, Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 1, 2011
Pours a viscous black with a thick chocolate milk head. Aroma is insane. I could smell hops as soon as I cracked the cap, before I completely removed it. Very strong citrus and pine notes overlay a mild chocolate and roast base, with a hint of booze. Smells a little like Ruination. Taste is very intense. My mouth hasn’t buckled like that since my first sip of Rochefort 8. A wave of smooth, dark chocolate with a touch of roast and coffee. Finishes with a gut punch of pine bitterness. Really toes the line between a black IPA and an incredibly hoppy stout. Palate is thick and very rich, with a trailing slickness. Incredible. Truly an experience in a glass. Kinda boozy, but otherwise perfect.