overall

RATINGS: 749   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.89/5   SEASONAL: Special   IBU: 100   EST. CALORIES: 324   ABV: 10.8%
In the 15 years since we entered the craft brewing world, change has come not in a straight line, but as an exponential curve. The craft brewing movement has long been called a "revolution." But today the air is so thick with revolution, its palpable. No longer is it only an awareness among the faithful; the unconverted are beginning to feel it as well. Denial and ignorance are disappearing in favor of opened eyes, curiosity and the sense that theres something larger out there. For far too long we have been lied to. For far too long we have been oppressed by the notion that dumbed-down-lowest-common-denominator-mediocrity was all that we could, and should, expect. You might think were talking only about the world of brewing, but were not. There is a myriad of products out there masquerading as cheeses, coffee, chocolates, breads...hell, there is stuff pretending to be food that our great grandmothers would not recognize as such. Yet the craft brewing movement, together with the artisanal food movement, is making much progress. Where the industrial companies cant dismiss or bury us, they are attempting to copy us with cheap facsimiles. Yes, chances are if you are holding this bottle, you understand these things to be true about the world of brewing. You also likely understand the importance of our fight at Stone against accepted norms over the last 15 years. We believed that America was ready to embrace things made with artistry and passion. You have spoken. Your response has been clear. We are not merely consumers to be spoon-fed whatever commodities need to be unloaded for a profit. We have only just begun to move the needle of this revolution, & mediocrity still reigns. Consider that when you reject dumbed down, industrialized food and drink, you also support craft brewing. The line is nearly seamless; we are fighting the same battle. We will not win in our lifetime, as the powers are too entrenched, and the masses too…fooled. And shackled. However, this is a revolution of ideas and of taste, and we will win. How do you want to be viewed by your children, and your childrens children? As a hero, or as the oppressed? (Those that dont think they have been oppressed are already lost.) Ultimately, its up to you to decide. We hope youll stand with us. Strong and unyielding. You are needed. This bottle and its glorious contents are a celebration of you, brothers and sisters, and your importance in this fight. Cheers to all weve accomplished together in the past fifteen years, and cheers to the adventure ahead!

Re-released as part of the 20th anniversary encore series in 2016

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
beeratarian (223) - cleveland, Ohio, USA - SEP 30, 2011
I, as a chef of artisan food can agree whole hearted with this label. I also agree that we need to continue the fight against mass produced crap, and hold our snifter high as we defeat the reign of corporate dominance. For the beer in the bottle, it is awesome. Exactly what is expected from the fifteen years of intelligent brewing. The aroma is of pine, citrus and as it warms some dried fruit and cherry. The color is black as night with a light brown tight head. The first sip is all hops and creamy malt finish. as it warms the true characters come out, as well as the ruination effect of the hops.The final few savoring sips are roasty and lingering bitterness from hops and roasted malts. A little chocolate and prune is evident but the hops pull through. The best Black IPA I have had to date. These guys do not dissapoint. Tasted by a nice fire with some dark chocolate and dank hops relatives, on a clear cleveland night!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
TOSG55 (223) - Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA - JUN 13, 2012
Bottle. Pours black, with a fairly thick dark brown head. Aroma is fairly malty - toasted notes, coffee, and a bit of chocolate, with a hint of hops. The flavor is much more hop-forward. A lot of strong flavors - the beer has the body of a strong porter or imperial stout (coffee, chocolate, cereal), but balanced nicely with floral and grassy hops. It works pretty well all together, making for an intriguing and tasty beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Krej (222) - USA - FEB 24, 2015
Very good. Smells like chocolate a little and is very malty. Not very happy which is great for an imperial black ale. I love it.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
yumyum (221) - barrie, Ontario, CANADA - SEP 11, 2011
perhaps not quite what I was expecting. Pours black with moderate head. Nose is nice (floral from the hops, perhaps a hint of chocolate/tobacco). I found the taste be nice with more of the roastiness and chocolate coming through to battle with the hops The mouthfeel was more watery than I was expecting. For A 10% plus beer it didnt quite live up to a sipper beer but I would still say it was a good beer and would not be opposed to trying it again.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Jlo7399 (218) - Florida, USA - SEP 15, 2011
UPDATED: SEP 16, 2011 Rating this one before my boy juice just to say I did before he could. Pours black with thick tan head. Aroma is hoppy with some chocolate and roasted malts. Taste is roasty with some nice chocolate notes that moves into a more hoppy zip that is expected due to what it is. Very balanced and delicious...take that juicy boy.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Tybalt (212) - Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA - MAR 5, 2012
Absolutely beautiful beer. Thick, rich, oily - frothy brown head. Initial smell didn't give me much, but that first sip spoke volumes.....and once you get that first taste, the aroma opens up and becomes wonderfully fragrant with an abundance of hops and yeast. Insanely rich, with massive hop flavor. Not like the black IPAs that are hoppy for a dark beer...this beer is hoppy for an imperial IPA....but with that full body and rich roastiness you get from a darker beer...even finishing with some coffee and maybe a little bit of cocoa. I'm so angry this is an anniversary beer. I want to have one every day.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
foundmd (210) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - OCT 12, 2011
On tap at Dutchs. Black IPAs can be very hit or miss but this one from Stone is certainly one of the better examples out there at the moment. Appearance is opaque black, almost as dark as a stout. Smells like one might expect with a significant hop profile and moderate roasted malts. The taste is like a very smooth but very hoppy stout with the best of both worlds. Easy to drink but complex. Alcohol is well balanced. Overall another fine anniversary offering from Stone.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
socaltay (204) - Ventura, California, USA - SEP 4, 2011
The appearance is a dark black color with a brown head. The aroma is full of coffee and vanilla notes that is balanced by the hops. The taste is very similar to the nose. It has bitter notes, but it is tough to tell whether it is from the hops or the coffee taste. I know its from the hops but I mean this beer is dark and the malt is almost overwhelming.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 9/20
nbondi (203) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - OCT 21, 2011
Very dark espresso with brown head. Pine and citrus in nose, but, whats this?...Bacon? Garlic? Yeah....pretty sure this isnt supposed to be a rauch black IPA... Medium body, good carbonation. Im not really sure what defect could lead to these flavors, but I dont like it. drain pour.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
nwiseman (202) - Norwich, Connecticut, USA - AUG 28, 2011
On tap at the Black Sparrow. Pours black with a dark tan head (friend though it was an imperial stout). Floral aroma with bright fruits. Taste of sweet pineapple, dark chocolate, warm malt, and slight hop bitterness. Good carbonation, but silky, with a warm, slightly bitter finish. I thought I would taste more hops, but this was better than anything I was expecting.