overall

RATINGS: 775   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.76/5   SEASONAL: Special   IBU: 100   EST. CALORIES: 267   ABV: 8.9%
20th Anniversary Encore Series: Stone 14th Anniversary Emperial IPA is a dry-bodied ale that’s powerfully spicy with an earthy aroma. On the palate, peppery hops assert themselves early and often, with malt sweetness and a light biscuit flavor making a brief appearance before a long, complex and decisively bitter finish. There is one thing decidedly San Diego about this beer, and that’s its aggressive dose of hops. 20th Anniversary Encore Series: Stone 14th Anniversary Emperial IPA is brewed to enjoy fresh but true to its origin, ages especially well on a six-month long ocean voyage.

GreatLibations (1854) - Last Supper, Arizona, USA - JUN 23, 2010
I am impressed. Dry as a bone, strict as a nun, memorable. Stones best new beer since Sublime, I mean 11. Yes, an english experiment gone west coast crazy. Smells of old world hops and malts yet mildly. I swoon to the lusciousness of the fat malt body. I break out my sword and fight off the hops that enchamber me. The carbonation is like quicksand dragging me down further and further with every sip. Hop factor is high. Sweetness is almost NIL yet I recall a kiss from a classy English gal. The finish is bittered all to hell like a date gone strangely horrible. I could drink this one everyday. TRUMP!

Caskalefan (168) - Bellingham, Washington, USA - JUN 26, 2010
This is what an Imperial IPA should be all about. It’s the perfect marriage of English ingredients with a San Diego hop intensive profile, except there’s no cattiness in this one, just plenty of peach, and pear esters to compliment the more typical grapefruit, mandarin orange, and tangerine. The malt provides a marmalade-like thickness to support all those hops, and the finish is positively endless, but never interferes with the craving for yet another intense sip. This stuff puts me in mind of my old standby, Youngs Special London Ale, only on major steroids! Kudos, Stone!

nustang70 (12) - USA - SEP 19, 2010
Wow, what a great IPA. The high ABV is masked by strong flavors. Drink slowly and share with a friend.

BeeriedEyed (212) - USA - APR 20, 2011
One the best IPAs I have tasted in a long while. It’s balanced and complete with a flavor that it respects. Try this beer!