overall

RATINGS: 775   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.76/5   SEASONAL: Special   IBU: 100   EST. CALORIES: 267   ABV: 8.9%
20th Anniversary Encore Series: Stone 14th Anniversary Emperial IPA is a dry-bodied ale that’s powerfully spicy with an earthy aroma. On the palate, peppery hops assert themselves early and often, with malt sweetness and a light biscuit flavor making a brief appearance before a long, complex and decisively bitter finish. There is one thing decidedly San Diego about this beer, and that’s its aggressive dose of hops. 20th Anniversary Encore Series: Stone 14th Anniversary Emperial IPA is brewed to enjoy fresh but true to its origin, ages especially well on a six-month long ocean voyage.

JohnnyJ (5573) - San Diego, California, USA - JUN 23, 2010
Draft at the stone bistro. Pours a slightly hazy golden yellow and a fluffy white head. Bitter hoppy aroma, musty malt, like dirt, almost shit. Flavor is more citrusy, with grapefruit, orange, toffee malt, pepper, and yeast. This one is not quite as clean as many other IPAs around here, not that it is a bad thing.

notalush (5985) - Lakewood, Colorado, USA - JUN 24, 2010
If there goal was to create an amped up version of a hoppy british ale, they certainly nailed it with this - the nose starts this off - the british hops are apparent, as are some dry, crackery malts, and a distinct hard water quality - some notes of peach and citrus add a slight american element - all of this carries over to the flavor - the "burtonized" hard water amplifies the character of the dry malt and bitter east kent - the faintest bit of buttery diacetyl quickly dissolves into moderate sweetness through the middle - finishes dry, peppery, bitter, mildly chalky, earthy - not too bad.

TheMantle (37) - New York, USA - JUN 25, 2010
Poured from the bottle into my sam adams pint glass. Pours a straw yellow with a big fluffy white head. Smells earthy and peppery. Suprisingly I dont smell much hops at all. Has a nice spicey and peppery hops flavor. Nice malt backbone but not too strong for and IIPA. Leaves a nice spicy bitter aftertaste.

ManvsCity (183) - Austin, Texas, USA - JUN 26, 2010
Bready, bitter, and maybe a little too strong IPA. Bomber pours clear yellow/orange with a thick warm white head that leaves plenty of lacing. Aroma is overwhelmingly floral hops. Taste is thick and chewy golden malts supporting intensely bitter hops. The bitterness almost burns your mouth, and carries all the way down to your stomach and up into your nose. Strong notes of grapefruit rind, pine sap, and grape seeds dominate. Dry, but hot finish lingers for several minutes.

Sammy (13144) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - JUL 2, 2010
Medium golden with white topping head. Understated aromas of the hops, the yeast. Mouthfeel a tad above average. A decent not over-the-top bitterness. Will try this again. Bottle from Swoop Jones newly obtained case.

Skeegle (566) - Maryland, USA - JUL 6, 2010
Not my favorite IPA by Stone, but I love the mission statement on the bottle. Extremely dry and hoppy, this is one hoppy beer, but it also tastes like a belgian triple hybrid which is what’s turning me off. Cloves and tarragon and fennel and some black pepper. Very carbonated. Very complex beer, but there’s those dry sour belgiany flavors of the triple vein that are turning me off. Wish this was more like the 13th anniversay, but I guess I just love my west coast beers ;-) Glad I picked this one up.

dbarnold (1127) - Bethesda, Maryland, USA - JUL 7, 2010
Pretty good, if a little heavy. This is quite a big IPA. Like stone says, it’s got that west coast feel, big hop nose, strong bitter flavor throughout. What’s different to me is how full and robust the body is. It’s really a pretty heavy beer. I split a 22 with a good buddy and it took us a while to drink. Good stuff.

WeeHeavySD (3399) - Portland, Oregon, USA - JUL 7, 2010
Gotta keep my status up as number 1 stone rater. Shared with paul, kim, and keren of course. Pours golden with a bubbly head. Nose is sweet and lightly hopped. Taste is sweet and has a distinctive bitterness likely connected to the english ingredients.

dukeredhair (243) - California, USA - JUL 10, 2010
Tap @ San Clemente Pizza Port. appearance not at all what I expected. Cloudy pale yellowish color w/ a stark white head. Nice lacing. Taste is a strange spicy style of hop not at all what I’ve come to expect for a Stone IPA. Finish is really tame when compared to what the company description promised. Certainly not my favorite anniversary ale from stone.

dcschiller (2211) - Scottsdale, Arizona, USA - JUL 15, 2010
(22oz bottle). Pours a lighter yellow than most DIPAs and white head. Hop pungency definitely comes through in the aroma. Unfortunately, I just can’t get much beyond that. I had quite a few beers recently with the aromas but only stronger and it’s stopping me from focusing on anything else. I think it’s a case of too much of a good thing. Taste is sweet and light/dry hopiness comes through to balance it nicely. Medium bodied and somewhat thin. Nice carbonation and long bitter finish. I think the alcohol is hidden masterfully. This is a well made beer.