overall

RATINGS: 187   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.83/5   SEASONAL: Special   IBU: 100   EST. CALORIES: 255   ABV: 8.5%
Originally released September 2001. Brewed to celebrate the 5th Anniversary of the Stone Brewing Co. An "amped up" version of Stone IPA with many times the hops and cranked up malt profile.

Re-released as part of the 20th anniversary encore series in 2016

Blake (396) - Orange, California, USA - JUL 23, 2002
Definitely very hoppy. A dray taste, but extremely good if you enjoy the hops.

ConiseurofBeer (242) - Downingtown, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 18, 2003
Another good IPA by Stone.mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

aspidites (1272) - manteca, California, USA - MAR 14, 2005
Slightly acidic. some mild sweetness and white grape notes from the malt. Big resinous hop profile, High alpha bitterness. Clean and spicy with an oily mouthfeel. Bitter and resinous slightly sweet finish.

burgerlicious (308) - Indianapolis, Indiana, USA - JUL 30, 2005
Deep golden color with nice head. Excellent IPA, which I usually don’t care for. Couldn’t believe that it’s 8.5%. It’s masked well.

DarkElf (3062) - La Jolla, California, USA - SEP 23, 2005
(Draft: Stone Brewing Days 2005 at Stuffed Sandwich in San Gabriel, CA) Duvel tulip glass in hand, I walk into Stuffed Sandwich for their Stone Brewing Days 3-day festival, hoping I’d find something cool, but oh my heavens, look what Sam has on tap! I never thought I’d see this in bottle or on draft ever again. Well, actually, I’ve never seen it before, not ever, since this came out just as I was moving out to San Diego, and I had better things on my mind at the time than beer hunting. Anyway, Sam has filled my Duvel glass right to the top, as always. I sip a bit off so that I don’t spill it, and amazingly, the head builds back to the top. I get to my table and sip some more head, and sure enough, here comes the head, continuing to form, beautifully creamy, light tan in color, and just refusing to fade even in the slightest. I have to keep drinking, and only then does the head finally give in and stay at a thin layer, but it leaves a thick, dense foam on the glass for the duration of the session to remember it by. The body is fully cloudy, amber in color, and impossible to see through, even at the edges. The nose is only lightly hoppy, so clearly the hops has softened considerably, which is to be expected for a 4-year old beer. Instead, it’s very earthy and woody, sweet, solidly malty, and certainly oxidized a bit. Similarly, the flavor is malty, earthy, woody, and mushroomy, but there’s also an obvious sweet fruitiness fighting through and holding its own. It’s not hoppy at all, and in fact, it’s only mildly bitter, but that bitterness does show up a bit in the finish. Alcohol isn’t really noticeable to me. Medium "plus" in body, but I think much of that "plus" is due to the aging. With the earthiness, this isn’t a clean beer at this point, and with the mild hoppiness toward the end, the finish isn’t terribly crisp either, but this is an IPA, so who could expect it to be? So clearly this beer is past its prime, and it’s not the same beer it was when fresh four years ago, but unlike many other "old" non-cellarable beers I’ve tried, this is still remarkably drinkable and very enjoyable. True, I enjoy that earthy, mushroomy flavor and aroma, but because of the solid fruitiness, this beer is more than just an oxidized, earthy, mushroomy beer. Still, I have to be fair and say that this beer, four years after being brewed, isn’t as amazing as it apparently was, but I’ve had no problem finishing the entire Duvel glass. As a rating buddy of mine said to me tonight, this is easily the best 4-year old IPA I’ve ever had.

aracauna (3604) - Georgia, USA - JAN 29, 2006
This pours a cloudy amber. The aroma is full of dried apricots and a slight pine from the hops. It’s a touch grainy. The malt drops out quickly but bitterness lingers nicely.

brentfeesh (1208) - Mansfield, Ohio, USA - FEB 1, 2006
Sampled at the Friday night (Pre-Atlanta Cask Ale tasting) RB gathering at Twains 2006. Hooray! For KP! The bringer of this brew (thought I’d never have a chance to try it). Pours orange and clear. Initial aroma greats you with hints of oxidation but as you push through you get sticky sweet orange malt and some pine hints (mostly diminished). Again, in the flavor, you can sense some cardboard but dryish hops still linger supported by alcohol notes and big booming malty goodness. Medium body and dryish finish (still some hops there). Well beyond its prime I’m sure, but still a great one to have tried.

daleharshman (1064) - Escondido, California, USA - SEP 18, 2016
Growler fill from brewery in Escondido. POURS a clear sunset-amber hue with a finger and a half of white foam. AROMA of resiny hops, pine, floral hops, grapefruit and orange, honey, and a little bit of booze (rare in Stone beers). FLAVOR of pine resin, grapefruit rind, and not a whole lot else. Really quite bitter but with some balancing semi-sweet malt slowly emerging near the end. This must have been a quite a bracing brew 15 years ago when the term "double IPA" was only coming into being, but not all that impressive these days. Reminiscent of the pine/grapefruit onslaught of American hops that I remember so strongly when I first got into craft beer about 8 years ago...I certainly appreciate the less heavy-handed and more nuanced approach these days and the "newer" hops that allow for this. Still happy for Stone to bring this back as a historical marker from before I drank craft beer. (131, 1041)

Iphonephan (6985) - Jackson Hole/McLean, Virginia, USA - SEP 25, 2016
On draft at the brewery. Pours a clear copper with an off white head. Grassy nose. Flavors of citrus and grass. Bitter finish.

JohnnyJ (5562) - San Diego, California, USA - OCT 1, 2016
Bottle. Golden orange pour, with a white head. Citrus, caramel, grapefruit, some sweetness, bread, and bitter finish. Tasty, old school balance between malt and citrusy hops.