overall

RATINGS: 456   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.91/5   EST. CALORIES: 240   ABV: 8%
We celebrated our first five years in business by releasing anniversary India pale ales, with each subsequent IPA brewed to be hoppier and more intense than the previous. For our 6th anniversary in 2002, we extended this concept by making an intensified version of Stone Smoked Porter. We cranked up the malts and hops a notch or three and conditioned it on French and American oak, which accentuated our porter’s distinctive smokiness and amplified its chocolate and roast coffee flavors while also adding subtle notes of toffee, cherries, dried berries and vanilla. We’re proud to give those who missed out—as well as those who didn’t—a fresh shot at experiencing this smoky, dark-as-night wonder.

Cool_Bond (2676) - KUNG_AV_OL @ Instagram, SWEDEN - NOV 18, 2016
Fruity aroma. Fruity and bitter taste. Heavy bitterness that fills the mouth forever. Really good beer. Follow me @ Kung av öl @ Facebook for more pictures and ratings.

Turtles (2664) - Stockholm, SWEDEN - OCT 29, 2016
650ml bottle from Systembolaget. Black with a large, creamy beige head, good lacing. Roasted, woody, chalky and slightly smoky aroma, ash, peat, chocolate and citrus hops, lovely! Medium-bodied, soft carbonated, chalky and smooth mouthfeel. The taste is like the aroma and much more like a BIPA, still very pleasant. Roasted and fruity, coffee, roasted barley, peat, smoked ham, citrus zest and grass. A hoppy kick in the mouth along with the roasted malt that just blend so well. Chalky and citrus fruity finish. Easy to drink, great stuff!

willblake (2654) - Bel Air, Maryland, USA - JUL 25, 2004
07.23.04 Bottle thanks to Secret Santa. Black beer with dark head. Aromas roasty and grainy, some smoke, some coffee, some burnt/caramelized sugars. The flavors mimic the aromas with the addition of oak notes. The palate is creamy and thick like chocolatey coffee that’s been left on the burner all day. Thanks Santa!

Gusler (2653) - Tucson, Arizona, USA - AUG 30, 2002
YIPPIE, finally Beer #5000 Life time: If I may wax nostalgic, and take a line or two from Lewis Carrol’s ’Through the Looking Glass’ ’The time has come,’ the Walrus said, ’to talk of many things: Of shoes and ships and sealing wax, of cabbages and kings.’ Since I sampled my first sip of ’Beer’ some 50 plus years ago, as a ’Wee Lad At My Daddy’s Knee’ and as I will be 57 a week from today. Memories become much more important than you can imagine, so if I may preach a bit. ’Live each day as if It will be your last’ Take the time to be with your parents, your brothers and sisters, your wife, your friends, but most especially your children, ’Love them, nourish them, be with them’, as one day you wake up and realize that ’Life’ has moved on’ and lost opportunities are seldom regained. I’d like to thank the Arrogant Bastard himself for this magnificent beer and the signed bottle that’s going into my new cabinet.<P> The Beer pours as dark as midnight, the head is large, frothy, the lace in thick sheets that clings to the glass till the very end. Nose is Malt, caramel, toasted grains, hints of hops I also find present. Front is sweet, the top is full, the finish is dry, lightly acidic, hop bitter, and the abv also adds to the long lasting ’Bitter Aftertaste’. Strong, robust, nicely hopped, high abv, can’t ask for more than this. Thanks to all of ratebeer for your encouragement and support, God Bless You All. Ranks #9 on my current 1000 beer master list. Damn, forgot to mention that I’m celebrating with a ’Lady Godiva’ cigar, 3/4’ by 8’ long, 3 year old aged Dominican Tobacco, soaked in 30 year old French Cognac!, I’m going to be dizzy after this session’

WillRunForBeer (2652) - Massachusetts, USA - JUN 25, 2016
This rate is dedicated to Rush. Number 2112. Encore! Bomber. Pours nearly black with a beige head. Aroma is dark chocolate, fig, light smoke. Flavor is dark chocolate, overextracted coffee, oak, smoke. A bit too much bitterness in the finish for my taste.

Jeppe (2631) - Brooklyn, Alabama, USA - JUN 12, 2005
Dark brown colored with a red gleam, foamy light brown head. Chocolaty and creamy aroma, mostly sweet but mellow from the age. Roasted flavor, notes of malt and chocolate and some coffee. Somewhat dusty and dry, probably because it’s a bit over the top. Still drinkable, I bet it would have been awesome fresh!

joet (2607) - Wilsonville, Oregon, USA - OCT 3, 2002
Yes this is much different... it rolls around in my glass like slate quicksilver. Right off the bat it serves up dark roasty (dare I say <i>smokey</i>?) aromas that also offer the most pleasant and sharp grist and woody aromas I’ve smelled from a beer. This started to really wake up at 53&deg;F and dripped into my tongue like chocolate cake. At 58&deg;F and fully open, there are still no detectable flaws. This is such an easy and remarkably big and robust beer. Remarkable feel -- and this from someone usually without much to say about textures. What a brewing feat! This could be my new favorite Stone beer -- I’m heading to the store as soon as I’m sober to stock up. This is going to be a star of late Fall and Winter.

DaSilky1 (2606) - San Diego, California, USA - NOV 21, 2002
UPDATED: AUG 7, 2008 8/10/02: well, take the regular smoked porter...add gollups of alcohol..throw tons and tons and..tons of hops..and tango with some roastedness and coffee flavors.. wahlah!...
A super hopped to hell...alcohol induced smoked porter which is pretty damn good.
compared to the regular smoked porter..the 6th aniversary porter is a hopped up, alcohol induced porter from hell..I bought a case at the 6th aniversary party..who wants some????
Re-Rate 8/22/02: uppin the points..aroma was like a roasted IPA..I actually discern more smokiness in the flavor than the first time..I’m drinking it at prolly 55º or 60º..More roasts too but still super super hopped out of it’s mind! I love it
Re-Rate 8/23/02: As I drink myself through my case I keep adding points because the more I drink of this the more I realize that this a really special brew!
Plus, I keep tasting peachy notes in there

Dorwart (2590) - Robbinsville, New Jersey, USA - AUG 27, 2004
Thin, light brown head. Roasty aroma with a bit of coffee, smoke and bittersweet chocolate. Color is a dark brown/black. Rich, complex chocolaty flavor. Full bodied. Finish is slightly dry and slightly bitter. A great porter. Thanks to willblake for this great brew.

MIBRomeo (2570) - Wisconsin, USA - JUN 26, 2005
pours a really deep dark red w/ a nice tan very well laced head. Smells of a smoky roasty burnt malt and bitter chocolate. Big creamy palate well coating. Flavor is pretty mild for a smoked beer but still maintains the burnt malt characteristic w/ a tiny touch of oaky weak vanilla a bit dry hints of coffee. A well done beer but not a style I like all that much. Poured from an 03 thanks to Blake for sharing.