%>
overall

RATINGS: 467   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.9/5   EST. CALORIES: 240   ABV: 8%
We celebrated our first five years in business by releasing anniversary India pale ales, with each subsequent IPA brewed to be hoppier and more intense than the previous. For our 6th anniversary in 2002, we extended this concept by making an intensified version of Stone Smoked Porter. We cranked up the malts and hops a notch or three and conditioned it on French and American oak, which accentuated our porter’s distinctive smokiness and amplified its chocolate and roast coffee flavors while also adding subtle notes of toffee, cherries, dried berries and vanilla. We’re proud to give those who missed out—as well as those who didn’t—a fresh shot at experiencing this smoky, dark-as-night wonder.

Gusler (2653) - Tucson, Arizona, USA - AUG 30, 2002
YIPPIE, finally Beer #5000 Life time: If I may wax nostalgic, and take a line or two from Lewis Carrol's 'Through the Looking Glass' 'The time has come,' the Walrus said, 'to talk of many things: Of shoes and ships and sealing wax, of cabbages and kings.' Since I sampled my first sip of 'Beer' some 50 plus years ago, as a 'Wee Lad At My Daddy's Knee' and as I will be 57 a week from today. Memories become much more important than you can imagine, so if I may preach a bit. 'Live each day as if It will be your last' Take the time to be with your parents, your brothers and sisters, your wife, your friends, but most especially your children, 'Love them, nourish them, be with them', as one day you wake up and realize that 'Life' has moved on' and lost opportunities are seldom regained. I'd like to thank the Arrogant Bastard himself for this magnificent beer and the signed bottle that's going into my new cabinet.<P> The Beer pours as dark as midnight, the head is large, frothy, the lace in thick sheets that clings to the glass till the very end. Nose is Malt, caramel, toasted grains, hints of hops I also find present. Front is sweet, the top is full, the finish is dry, lightly acidic, hop bitter, and the abv also adds to the long lasting 'Bitter Aftertaste'. Strong, robust, nicely hopped, high abv, can't ask for more than this. Thanks to all of ratebeer for your encouragement and support, God Bless You All. Ranks #9 on my current 1000 beer master list. Damn, forgot to mention that I'm celebrating with a 'Lady Godiva' cigar, 3/4' by 8' long, 3 year old aged Dominican Tobacco, soaked in 30 year old French Cognac!, I'm going to be dizzy after this session'

joet (2646) - Wilsonville, Oregon, USA - OCT 3, 2002
Yes this is much different... it rolls around in my glass like slate quicksilver. Right off the bat it serves up dark roasty (dare I say <i>smokey</i>?) aromas that also offer the most pleasant and sharp grist and woody aromas I've smelled from a beer. This started to really wake up at 53&deg;F and dripped into my tongue like chocolate cake. At 58&deg;F and fully open, there are still no detectable flaws. This is such an easy and remarkably big and robust beer. Remarkable feel -- and this from someone usually without much to say about textures. What a brewing feat! This could be my new favorite Stone beer -- I'm heading to the store as soon as I'm sober to stock up. This is going to be a star of late Fall and Winter.

Jeppe (2631) - Brooklyn, Alabama, USA - JUN 12, 2005
Dark brown colored with a red gleam, foamy light brown head. Chocolaty and creamy aroma, mostly sweet but mellow from the age. Roasted flavor, notes of malt and chocolate and some coffee. Somewhat dusty and dry, probably because it’s a bit over the top. Still drinkable, I bet it would have been awesome fresh!

poisoneddwarf (2620) - Coeur d’ Alene, Idaho, USA - MAY 5, 2016
Bomber from Costco. Aroma is roasty, chocolaty, vanilla, bready, minerals, licorice, light smoke, tobacco/leather. Pours black with a thin beige head that falls after a minute; second pour reveals a nice tan head with excellent retention. Taste is roasty and extremely bitter for style with flavors of licorice, coffee, light smoke; a good belch reveals flavors of green danky hops. It’s good, but it would be better without the aggressive bitterness, but this is Stone after all and to be expected. Edit: the smoke character increases as it warms in the glass.

Dorwart (2607) - Robbinsville, New Jersey, USA - AUG 27, 2004
Thin, light brown head. Roasty aroma with a bit of coffee, smoke and bittersweet chocolate. Color is a dark brown/black. Rich, complex chocolaty flavor. Full bodied. Finish is slightly dry and slightly bitter. A great porter. Thanks to willblake for this great brew.

DaSilky1 (2606) - San Diego, California, USA - NOV 21, 2002
UPDATED: AUG 7, 2008 8/10/02: well, take the regular smoked porter...add gollups of alcohol..throw tons and tons and..tons of hops..and tango with some roastedness and coffee flavors.. wahlah!...
A super hopped to hell...alcohol induced smoked porter which is pretty damn good.
compared to the regular smoked porter..the 6th aniversary porter is a hopped up, alcohol induced porter from hell..I bought a case at the 6th aniversary party..who wants some????
Re-Rate 8/22/02: uppin the points..aroma was like a roasted IPA..I actually discern more smokiness in the flavor than the first time..I’m drinking it at prolly 55º or 60º..More roasts too but still super super hopped out of it’s mind! I love it
Re-Rate 8/23/02: As I drink myself through my case I keep adding points because the more I drink of this the more I realize that this a really special brew!
Plus, I keep tasting peachy notes in there

MIBRomeo (2570) - Wisconsin, USA - JUN 26, 2005
pours a really deep dark red w/ a nice tan very well laced head. Smells of a smoky roasty burnt malt and bitter chocolate. Big creamy palate well coating. Flavor is pretty mild for a smoked beer but still maintains the burnt malt characteristic w/ a tiny touch of oaky weak vanilla a bit dry hints of coffee. A well done beer but not a style I like all that much. Poured from an 03 thanks to Blake for sharing.

YogiBeera (2569) - New Jersey, USA - JAN 18, 2003
Love it, love it love, love it. Yummie mocca, caramel and chocolate (like Choco Nibbs from Scharfenberger) nose. Also alcohol. Nice ozzy black color with a big hazelnutbrown frothy long lasting head. After a while nice brussels laces on the glass - here San Marco laces :-) First you get a chocolate mocca mixture taste, that pricks your tongue, rolls back and explodes with a hopp flower right in you whole mouth. Bang! Tanks so much jcalabre for this brew! It was also quite cool to imagine Larry brewing this stuff - thanks Larry - it was like your spirits are with us while we drunk this beer!

VT (2527) - Quebec City, Quebec, CANADA - JUL 19, 2016
Bomber. Pours a ruby reddish black with a thick, creamy, resilient beige head. Aroma is chocolate, cherry, wood, smoke, vanilla. Flavor is chocolate, toffee, smoke, ash, dark cherry, field berries. Finish is smoke, loads of wood, dark coffee. Lingering wood and smoke. Medium body, velvety and oily mouthfeel, weak to average carbonation. A true masterpiece.

Emeister84 (2505) - Charlottesville, Virginia, USA - MAY 24, 2016
Aromas are very earthy, like tree bark. Black with a fairly lasting off-white head. Dry, earthy, bitterness is almost tannic feeling. Full bodied.