overall

RATINGS: 479   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.9/5   EST. CALORIES: 240   ABV: 8%
We celebrated our first five years in business by releasing anniversary India pale ales, with each subsequent IPA brewed to be hoppier and more intense than the previous. For our 6th anniversary in 2002, we extended this concept by making an intensified version of Stone Smoked Porter. We cranked up the malts and hops a notch or three and conditioned it on French and American oak, which accentuated our porter’s distinctive smokiness and amplified its chocolate and roast coffee flavors while also adding subtle notes of toffee, cherries, dried berries and vanilla. We’re proud to give those who missed out—as well as those who didn’t—a fresh shot at experiencing this smoky, dark-as-night wonder.

Gusler (2652) - Tucson, Arizona, USA - AUG 30, 2002
YIPPIE, finally Beer #5000 Life time: If I may wax nostalgic, and take a line or two from Lewis Carrol's 'Through the Looking Glass' 'The time has come,' the Walrus said, 'to talk of many things: Of shoes and ships and sealing wax, of cabbages and kings.' Since I sampled my first sip of 'Beer' some 50 plus years ago, as a 'Wee Lad At My Daddy's Knee' and as I will be 57 a week from today. Memories become much more important than you can imagine, so if I may preach a bit. 'Live each day as if It will be your last' Take the time to be with your parents, your brothers and sisters, your wife, your friends, but most especially your children, 'Love them, nourish them, be with them', as one day you wake up and realize that 'Life' has moved on' and lost opportunities are seldom regained. I'd like to thank the Arrogant Bastard himself for this magnificent beer and the signed bottle that's going into my new cabinet.<P> The Beer pours as dark as midnight, the head is large, frothy, the lace in thick sheets that clings to the glass till the very end. Nose is Malt, caramel, toasted grains, hints of hops I also find present. Front is sweet, the top is full, the finish is dry, lightly acidic, hop bitter, and the abv also adds to the long lasting 'Bitter Aftertaste'. Strong, robust, nicely hopped, high abv, can't ask for more than this. Thanks to all of ratebeer for your encouragement and support, God Bless You All. Ranks #9 on my current 1000 beer master list. Damn, forgot to mention that I'm celebrating with a 'Lady Godiva' cigar, 3/4' by 8' long, 3 year old aged Dominican Tobacco, soaked in 30 year old French Cognac!, I'm going to be dizzy after this session'

21iceman40 (1735) - Grafton, Wisconsin, USA - OCT 16, 2002
A five star for number 500. As hard as it is to believe that I have finally enjoyed my 500th different type of beer, it is harder for me to believe just how damn good this beer was. Stone does it like no other. I am a big fan of the porter style. Powerful, dark, malty,, I absolutely love it. And then they go and hop it up. A great beer for a great occasion. I also enjoyed the informative, inspirational and slightly amusing story on the back of the bottle.

hoped (18) - Arizona, USA - JUN 10, 2003
The 22 oz. bottle poured with a noble two inch pillowy head. The color was black with a deep red garnet color when held up to the light. Great head retention. The aroma was complex with malt, berry, chocolate, black licorice, and a slight alcohol presence. The taste was smoky and malty sweet with a bitter peppery finish. The smoky flavors were unlike anything Ive tasted in a beer before. Something in the flavor reminded me of a great tequilla I once sampled. And the halcyon warmth that followed was similar too. The mouthfeel silky andy viscous, not a bit dry and excellent carbonation. Another fine experience from Stone Brewing Co. This brew is one I would like to have around all the time.