overall

RATINGS: 479   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.9/5   EST. CALORIES: 240   ABV: 8%
We celebrated our first five years in business by releasing anniversary India pale ales, with each subsequent IPA brewed to be hoppier and more intense than the previous. For our 6th anniversary in 2002, we extended this concept by making an intensified version of Stone Smoked Porter. We cranked up the malts and hops a notch or three and conditioned it on French and American oak, which accentuated our porter’s distinctive smokiness and amplified its chocolate and roast coffee flavors while also adding subtle notes of toffee, cherries, dried berries and vanilla. We’re proud to give those who missed out—as well as those who didn’t—a fresh shot at experiencing this smoky, dark-as-night wonder.

TChrome (1481) - North Richland Hills, Texas, USA - SEP 8, 2002
What a beer. There are so many elements. Awesome aroma and flavor. Serious alcohol content but you cant tell. Excellent.

Aesir (130) - Tustin, California, USA - SEP 15, 2002
UPDATED: NOV 20, 2003 This beer is excellent. It just tastes good all the way around. Looks beautiful in a big tall pint mug, perfect amount of carbonations, and a taste that combines lots of roasted grains, dark malt, and finishes with a generous amount of hops. If I could make a plea to Stone, it would be to make this Arrogant Porter year round. Then I would ask them to fund a charitable organization to further R&D in the area of training "Monkey Butlers." If we all pitch in, this dream could someday become a reality. Now I'll drink(~9 beers) to that!

beerguy101 (5364) - Newark, California, USA - SEP 22, 2002
Dark black color, medium off white head. A BIG full-bodied porter, almost chewy. Roasted malts, chocolaty. Big chewy hoppiness. WOW whatta porter. Stone is usually over the top with their beers (this is NOT a bad thing) and this beer is no exception. Big and bold flavor with a very pronounced hop bite, yet it has a very smooth taste. Mouthfeel is full and round. Finish is clean and smooth. Aftertaste is slightly bitter. No alcohol bite, despite an 8.1% ABV. Etched beer bottle. Look very classy.

albert007 (415) - Penobsquis, New Brunswick, CANADA - AUG 21, 2003
UPDATED: AUG 26, 2003 Smoked, roasted taste with a mild chocolate undertone. I noticed a wiskey-ish sort of underlying taste which I took quite a liking to. I will buy more of this as soon as I can.

PrinceofNessus (236) - Norman, Oklahoma, USA - DEC 19, 2003
Brilliant... just brilliant.... I made a mess in my jeans when i smelled it....The color is ebony, the aroma reminds me a smoked porter and an excellent barley wine, very strong. The smoke flavor was less than that of the smoked porter, the smoke was mellowed, a sweet taste with hints of dark chocolate malts, and some hops, smooth smooth smooth, full palate and a pleasantly smoked aftertaste. One of the best.

lemonlovr (191) - Orland Park, Illinois, USA - DEC 19, 2003
Wow. This has got to be the best porter that my tongue has had the privilege of experiencing. The aroma is strong but not overbearing and is definitely smokey with undertones of coffee and chocolate - wonderful. The color is dark dark brown, almost black - beautiful. The flavor is sweet and chocolatey, reminds me of coffee. Very smooth, leaves my tongue nice and tingly. Excellent, I hope to find this again someday.

davesarman (159) - Waconia, Minnesota, USA - JAN 17, 2004
Big, hearty aroma of roasted dark and chocolate malt, alcohol and hops. Color is very very dark, but not quite opaque. Good carbonation with a tight, tight tan head that almost looks as if it was poured from a nitro tap! Flavor profile is big and malty! Lots of roasted malt bitterness up front, followed by a smooth creaminess that balances it out nicely. A little smoke in the middle, but not huge, but that's ok. Big body and mouthfeel. Coats the mouth. Finish is slightly hoppy and a little warming. Some wood notes in the finish as well which are very nice. This is a well made beer!

VT (2527) - Quebec City, Quebec, CANADA - JUL 19, 2016
Bomber. Pours a ruby reddish black with a thick, creamy, resilient beige head. Aroma is chocolate, cherry, wood, smoke, vanilla. Flavor is chocolate, toffee, smoke, ash, dark cherry, field berries. Finish is smoke, loads of wood, dark coffee. Lingering wood and smoke. Medium body, velvety and oily mouthfeel, weak to average carbonation. A true masterpiece.

drpimento (3814) - La Crosse, Wisconsin, USA - JUL 31, 2016
The quintessential I imperial porter.so unbelievably smooth. No sign of alcohol. Yet rich.

MetalNHopHead (2257) - Lincoln, Nebraska, USA - JUN 19, 2017
This is Stone’s special 20th Anniversary release of their 6th Anniversary Porter - er, that’s a tad confusing. Stone doesn’t phone it in for their anniversary releases, that much is clear. This bottle had several months of age on it. Near-black color. Roasty, smoky, and earthy nose with some soy sauce. Roasted malt, smoke, dark chocolate, licorice, burnt cream, earth, herbal tobacco, and umami flavors. Feel is rich and hearty. Booze taste is cleverly hidden - you do feel a bit of heat. It’s a straightforward Imperial Porter but an excellent one.