Stone 8th Anniversary Ale

overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip

RATINGS: 499   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.74/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 234   ABV: 7.8%
The Stone 8th Anniversary Ale is, like all previous Stone Anniversary Ales so far, an adaptation of a previous Stone Brewing Co release. This year we set out to make a Anniversary-ized version of Lees Mild, a 3.8% abv limited release beer from 1999. For this beer we used some of the same malts that we had used in the Lees Mild, added more hops, less water (to bring the alcohol content up), and found a tasty balance of toasty/roastyness from the malt and a subtle (by Stone standards!) hop presence. To add further complexity, oak chips were employed to round out the character and give the beer a bit of vanilla/bourbon influence from the wood.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Cletus (6355) - Connecticut, USA - APR 6, 2005
Not at all what I was expecting. Bottled 22 oz. pours a dark amber in color with strong floral hints on the nose. Taste is a bit on the caramelly side with a nice bitter hoppy finish. I was very impressed with this offering.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Suttree (6288) - Knoxville, Tennessee, USA - OCT 10, 2004
I was a bit leery of this one after reading the reviews and descriptions - it really didnt sound like a style that Id like. But whadduya know, it was really impressive. Really nice reddish brown with a sturdy tan head. Nice chestnut aroma, with hints of cinnamon and allspice. Really smooth palate, Nicely nutty, malty spicy flavor, with just enough hops to mitigate the sweetness and balance it out somewhat, and just a slight and unobtrusive alcohol burn. Very full bodied and satisfying.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
riversideAK (6260) - Shoreline, Washington, USA - NOV 26, 2011
Nice nose oxidized port nose aged woody earth caramel brown bread. Brown hazy reddish orange pour. Thin tarnish head. Caramel brown bread toast vanilla light wood and earth. Oxidize d sweetness honey. Held up incredibly well. Well carbonated. Good stuff lingering g light port notes.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Boutip (6208) - Gatineau, Quebec, CANADA - FEB 14, 2005
Bottle: Poured a deep amber color ale with a medium head with standard retention. Aroma consists of strong malt and lots of hops. Taste is quite bitter but well supported by the malt. I very much enjoyed this typical west coast beer. Now, Im curious to try some other Stone Anniversary beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Rastacouere (6176) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - NOV 28, 2004
UPDATED: MAY 17, 2005 Dark brown body with a fading head. Nose is that of a bakery harvest deploying abundant rasin bread, almonds and roasted malt aromas. Rich maltiness provides caramel, coffee and pumpernickel bread on a roasty background. Big bitterness in the finish. Slightly powdery texture, lightly astringent though never disturbing. Interesting to say the least.
Doesnt seem to take the age too well. Dropping this from 3.5 to 3.2

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
TheBeerGod (6167) - Newport News, Virginia, USA - OCT 8, 2004
Pours a gorgeous garnet with nearly no head, save the whitish ring around the circumference of the glass. Nose is a rich roasted malt, light cocoa, wood, faint alcohol, and light vanilla. Taste is big malts with a definite woody presence. The alcohol comes out more here too. Light cocoa, light spice, faint caramel, and a timid hop profile. Body is medium full and a bit chewier than expected. The finish is more roasted malts with a tad more bitterness and a slight notion of alcohol with faint wood notes. GOOD beer! Got to get more of this!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
decaturstevo (6120) - decatur, Tennessee, USA - OCT 22, 2006
A brownish/amber pour with almost no head. An aroma of roasted malt is dominate. A flavor of sweet maltiness and a warmth that surprises me from the 7.8%. A pleasant bitter finish. When I opened it and poured it the aroma reminded me of a Barley wine but the look didnt. Ive had this beer before and had this one in the frige for a while. I dont remember liking it this well. I wish I had another. I enjoyed it very much.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
Glouglouburp (6103) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - JUN 29, 2010
In short: An past-due-date fruity, nutty caramelized beer. Too late.
How: Bottle 22oz. Consumed when around five year of age. Bottle sent to me as a bonus(!) by CaptainCougar, thanks a lot Tom
The look: Cloudy redish-brown body topped by a very small beige head
In long: Rich nose of caramel and dark fruits and a light oxidation. Taste is unfortunately dominated by oxidation. Lots and lots of cardboard. Underneath the oxidation is almonds wrapped in caramel, dark fruits. Also some maderisation with Sherry notes. Adequate medium carbonation. The beer is obviously way past its prime. There might be bottles well cellared that are still good but I fear most bottles are now just like the one I just drank. I dont remember having it fresh, I dont know if I ever had it fresh. This was probably once a very good beer because despite its obvious aging problems the beer was still quite drinkable. I did hesitate before entering my rating on a beer that is so obviously past due-date. But given that there is still a market for this 5 year old beer (as well as much older Stone beers) I think it is fair that I voice my opinion and say that this beer is now gone. I probably had it fresh in my early ratebeer time. I dont remember. Five years ago this was probably a very good beer, but now it is five years old. Im against aging beer but Im exactly like everybody else, I dont care about my opinions and I think I have an attitude problem.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
JPDIPSO (6093) - Wauwatosa, USA - JAN 28, 2005
Looks quite like a mild, with a rudy color and a moderate light tan head. Toasted dry grain aromas with just a hint of floral hops and coffee. A good smellin brew, plain and simple. A bold brown flavor. Start is quite sweet with a mild chocolate taste. It dries out in the middle with toasted nuts and and a hint of fruit. Finish is quite bitter with a sharp bite. This one loses it in the finish. Perhaps some time will help settle the bitterness. Late finish of cask wood and roasted malts. I like the concept, but just a touch too much. But than again, shouldnt I expect this from Stones. Congrats on 8 years and keep putting out the great brews. Thanks Vac for getting this one to me.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Emil (6065) - Copenhagen, DENMARK - JUL 20, 2006
Bottle thanx to Jannik. Hazy red colour with a small beige head. Sweet caramel malty, dusty wood, light roasted, nutty, hoppy aroma and taste, light alcoholic. Medium to full body with a sweet dry, light alcoholic finish.