Stone 9th Anniversary Ale

overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip

RATINGS: 484   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.64/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 234   ABV: 7.8%
As has been a tradition, we have “Anniversary-ized” a recipe from our history by cranking it up, making it stronger and more assertive. With this year’s Anniversary we decided to look back at a wheat beer that we released a couple of Spring/Summers a few years ago: Stone Heat Seeking Wheat. While it was a plenty tasty beer, we ultimately decided that it wasn’t that reflective of what Stone was all about, and we unceremoniously dropped it from our lineup. For the Stone 9th Anniversary Ale, we carried some of the characteristics from the Stone Heat Seeking Wheat --- clear, not hazy; hoppy, not yeasty; combining a delicious hop bitterness and wheat tartness --- and made some…well…adjustments.

fordest (2469) - Santee/San Diego, California, USA - SEP 10, 2005
Not too bad, it was not as wheaty as I had expected, Sure didn’t look like a wheat. Classic Stone hops made it bitter in the end. I had it on cask and filtered from the keg. I actually liked it on the keg better, seemed crisper and more balanced. Not too bad.

fluids (364) - Massachusetts, USA - SEP 10, 2005
Golden orange color. Fragrance is citrus with a white medium head that goes slowly. Smells like Stone Ruination. Has the grapefruit rind bitterness of an IPA but this is softened by malts and ends on a dry bitter note as well.

JohnC (3008) - Mission Viejo, California, USA - SEP 10, 2005
Had this on draft at the stone 9th party. Well, I’d be more impressed if Stone had debuted this as "Stone Wheat" rather than as an anniversary beer. It tasted like a middle of the road american wheat to me. nothing special.

5000 (6862) - Hardened Liver, Washington, USA - SEP 10, 2005
Bottle: Golden, fairly clear, large rocky off-white head, soft carbonation, nice lacing.   Quite hot in the aroma, zesty hop, unripened citrus peel, with a tinge of tobacco or tea leaves.   Soft hop bitterness to start, slightly resiny, not as alcoholic as suggested by the nose, but does end with a bit of heat.   Somewhat citrusy, subtle tobacco leaf, a tad tart, with a dry finish.   Never would have thought to this be a wheat based beer.   Fairly big body, moderate mouthfeel.   Certainly isn’t as filling as a wheat beer.   Tiz alright, but not my favorite Anniversary Ale from Stone.

HopalotCassidy (12) - Indiana, USA - SEP 9, 2005
Very similar in character to 3 Floyd’s Gumball Head. Fruit and Floral. Stong Alcohol notes that should mellow with just 6 months or so. Assertive aroma and Flavor. Far superior to last year’s but lacks the depth of their 7th. Got 2 for the cellar. Might get a third. Will be tasting one a year. Will report back then.

davidflores99 (225) - Signal HIll, California, USA - SEP 9, 2005
Poured a light amber, with a white head, not too big. Aroma was citrusy and slightly hoppy and a bit malty. I really liked this brew, it had a nice hoppy and yeasty flavor, nothing too special but very tastey. Overall nice.

FoolishMortal (990) - San Diego, California, USA - SEP 9, 2005
Translucent yellow amber. Large white rocky head. Wheat, tinges of phenol, and some citrusy sweet hop aromatics. Cascade family hops clash with doughy malt, wheat, and phenolic yeast character. Finish is fairly dry with an alcohol note. Mouthfeel is clean and fairly large.

bb (9789) - Alamo, California, USA - SEP 8, 2005
Bottle. Amber beer with a nice off-white head. Citrus hop aroma - dry hopped with Cascade? There’s a bit of spiciness to the flavor, more citrus hops, and some sweetness backing it all up. Some fruitiness (pears and others) to go with a bit of graininess. Wheat not really present, and there’s some alcohol presence. I think the wheat clashes and leads to grain astringency, and just a strange finish that I can’t put my finger on. It’s like playdough meets grains of paradise. I’ll skip it for another of their IPAs.

zug4abby (288) - San Diego, California, USA - SEP 8, 2005
I was very excited to try this new creation from stone... I promise! However, I was let down! It pours a clear yellow/straw color with a heavy yeast aroma and floral hints. I did not enjoy the flavor or palate at all. The yeast was way to much for me to handle on top of a warm feel through-out.

jackamackson (127) - USA - SEP 7, 2005
orange/amber pour, big head, which disappeared sorta quickly. hoppy sweet aroma. flavor is very sweet and malty, but with a good floral hop flavor to give it some bite. a lot like an IPA.