%>

Stone 9th Anniversary Ale

overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip

RATINGS: 484   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.64/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 234   ABV: 7.8%
As has been a tradition, we have “Anniversary-ized” a recipe from our history by cranking it up, making it stronger and more assertive. With this year’s Anniversary we decided to look back at a wheat beer that we released a couple of Spring/Summers a few years ago: Stone Heat Seeking Wheat. While it was a plenty tasty beer, we ultimately decided that it wasn’t that reflective of what Stone was all about, and we unceremoniously dropped it from our lineup. For the Stone 9th Anniversary Ale, we carried some of the characteristics from the Stone Heat Seeking Wheat --- clear, not hazy; hoppy, not yeasty; combining a delicious hop bitterness and wheat tartness --- and made some…well…adjustments.

JoeTheYounger (1183) - Lake Arrowhead, California, USA - FEB 9, 2010
On draft at Stone Winter Storm. Poured a clear yellow color with faint head. Taste was some hops, wheat, semi-sweet. Just ok.

MaltDawg (1344) - Richmond, Virginia, USA - JAN 8, 2010
(Sample Date: 7/18/2009 Source:Other) Malty with a quite fruity peach pear and floral aroma. Slightly cloudy honey golden with small white head. Rich sugary maltiness with a distinct woodiness in flavor. Finish is mostly dry with hefty residual bitterness.

madmitch76 (25344) - , Essex, ENGLAND - NOV 14, 2009
10th June 2008. Cloudy amber gold beer. Plenty of hops but offset by a barleywine amount of malt. When it was straight from the fridge actually thought it was a barleywine. Very drinkable.

MadIndian (2743) - Levittown, Pennsylvania, USA - SEP 8, 2009
Good rare find, Shared with Frank. A full citrus aroma with hints of caramel. A nice touch of sweet malt at the end. Very Good I’M BACK!!!!

nightrider (754) - encinitas, California, USA - AUG 20, 2009
Growler from Stone. Slighty hazy light gold in color with a white head. Sweet aromas of lemon, honey. Rich and medium full bodied. Very smooth in your mouth. A bit yeasty and malty with a solid amount of hops which I am sure have faded by now. Tasty balanced finish a bit on the sweeter side. Wish there was more of this.

Drake (14059) - Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA - JUL 19, 2009
Bottle shared at Immy’s Backyard Gathering. Pours a hazy orange color with a medium head. Good head retention and lacing. Herbal, floral hop aroma with toffee and citrus notes. Taste of toffee, caramel and citrus. Full bodied.

fidel (1302) - Livermore, California, USA - JUL 13, 2009
@ City Beer Poured hazy golden yellow, grainy, hoppy, little caramel, little oxidized.

HopheadHans (804) - Bay Area, California, USA - JUL 13, 2009
Tap. This keg made it to City Beer last week. I was surprised at how well this held up even though I never had it fresh. Still great aromas and flavors of hops. Flavor prfile has some wheat and graininess mixed it and some bread and dough. Then the hops take over again with a nice bitter finish.

matta (1140) - Tampa, Florida, USA - JUL 9, 2009
Copper in color and a dense ivory head. The beer has undeniably oxidized over the years; but still picking up the intended pine resin notes from the hops and caramel malt back bone. A lot of orange zest bitterness and a big ABV. burn. Good beer no doubt, but I should have consumed this a few years back for optimal sensory satisfaction... –may bad!

SDquaffer (18) - San Diego, California, USA - JUN 29, 2009
Cracked in 6/09 from my cellar which, because of gypsylike behavior, has not been consistently stored. I take some of the blame for the low rate. Aroma was diminished from what I fondly remember from the fresh version. Caramel notes unmistakeable but a bit of burnt corn too. Wheaty substantial head, not diminishing as the beer warms. leggy. A bit of a coppery finish too. again, probably due to bad cellaring. Hopefully some good samaratin will provide me a better kept bottle for a revised tasting (after I sufficiently self-flaggelate myself of course.)