Stone 9th Anniversary Ale

overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip

RATINGS: 484   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.64/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 234   ABV: 7.8%
As has been a tradition, we have “Anniversary-ized” a recipe from our history by cranking it up, making it stronger and more assertive. With this year’s Anniversary we decided to look back at a wheat beer that we released a couple of Spring/Summers a few years ago: Stone Heat Seeking Wheat. While it was a plenty tasty beer, we ultimately decided that it wasn’t that reflective of what Stone was all about, and we unceremoniously dropped it from our lineup. For the Stone 9th Anniversary Ale, we carried some of the characteristics from the Stone Heat Seeking Wheat --- clear, not hazy; hoppy, not yeasty; combining a delicious hop bitterness and wheat tartness --- and made some…well…adjustments.

FezMonkey (268) - Las Vegas, Nevada, USA - SEP 29, 2005
Hazy light golden color with a average sized white head. Hoppy aroma and taste with a slightly bitter aftertase.

cewldre (268) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - JUN 7, 2007
I received this bottle from my roommate over 1 year ago on my birthday. FIgured it was time to open it up, since I heard it is drinking great. The pour is slightly golden/red with a sizeable, slightly off white head. Smell is pretty strong, I notice a nice compliment of both hops and malts on this one. The smell is almost candy like, very sweet and sugary smelling. I notice a bit of citrus in there, with some dark fruits as well. THe compliment each other very well. Taste is very smooth, with just a nice amount of cabonation, even for its age. I notice a great amount of that raisin or plum flavor. The mouthfeel is nice and silky. As I continue to sip, I notice just a bit of hop profile hitting my tongue. The hops begin to overpower the dark fruit and there is a good amount of earthiness. What started as sweet in the first few sips is now coming forth with an aggressive hop flavor. This seems good, but I am glad I drank it now, I think it’s heading past it’s prime.

kms399 (267) - plymouth, Minnesota, USA - DEC 23, 2005
bottle thanks to secret santa. pours a nice golden color. nice head. no lacing. aroma is citrus hops and malt very sweet smelling. taste is hops malt and orange. smooth and very refreshing. damn good

chef201atc (261) - Fort Worth, Texas, USA - JAN 28, 2007
Cloudy deep straw colored pour with a rocky white head. Nose is mostly about the sweet malt backbone, but I do pick-up some biscuit and piney hops. Smooth, medium bodied mouthfeel. Very lightly carbonated. Flavor is dominated by the malt, but it does have a nice citrusy hop component as well.

entertheiceman (242) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - MAR 22, 2006
The epitome of a straight-forward beer. Pours a slightly hazy, yet in a clean way, orange color with a smooth off white head. Pine needles in the nose sort of like walking down a trail in the mountains. More hops in the flavor, still manages balance but not an ounce of complexity.

dhlesq (233) - Thousand Oaks, California, USA - NOV 16, 2005
Aroma of tangerine, pineapple, pine. Appears a crystal clear color of brass with faint effervescence and a well-proportioned yellow meringue-like head. Flavor is very bitter hoppy, with more tangerine, pineapple, and resin. Palate is thick, chewy, slick, syrupy. Overall, this beer is quite a bit less than the sum of its parts, mostly suffering from an unpleasant flavor.

toncatcher (228) - Santee - SAN DIEGO, California, USA - JUN 4, 2007
Pours amber with a whie haed. Aroma very subtle with pine and bread, and malt. Surprising ly good

davidflores99 (225) - Signal HIll, California, USA - SEP 9, 2005
Poured a light amber, with a white head, not too big. Aroma was citrusy and slightly hoppy and a bit malty. I really liked this brew, it had a nice hoppy and yeasty flavor, nothing too special but very tastey. Overall nice.

DrunkenWeasel (224) - Portland, Oregon, USA - OCT 16, 2005
Pours yellow with a medium sized white fizzy head. Smells malty and hoppy together in a difficult way to explain, kind of like carmalized pine needles. Taste is quite interesting, it starts off sweet and soothing tasting of caramel. It then gives way to a complex bitter aftertaste that is quite unique. Nice beer.

Tybalt (212) - Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA - FEB 2, 2006
Has a very hoppy taste, but is not overly bitter at all. Has some sweet fruity undertones with a mild finish. It tastes sort of like a milder version of their IPA...and I find it easier to drink.