Stone 9th Anniversary Ale

overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip

RATINGS: 484   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.64/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 234   ABV: 7.8%
As has been a tradition, we have “Anniversary-ized” a recipe from our history by cranking it up, making it stronger and more assertive. With this year’s Anniversary we decided to look back at a wheat beer that we released a couple of Spring/Summers a few years ago: Stone Heat Seeking Wheat. While it was a plenty tasty beer, we ultimately decided that it wasn’t that reflective of what Stone was all about, and we unceremoniously dropped it from our lineup. For the Stone 9th Anniversary Ale, we carried some of the characteristics from the Stone Heat Seeking Wheat --- clear, not hazy; hoppy, not yeasty; combining a delicious hop bitterness and wheat tartness --- and made some…well…adjustments.

brettpace (176) - New York City, New York, USA - MAY 1, 2007
Very good ale, piney. However, i prefer the levitation double hopped ale to this. Cant wait to hit stone up this weekend!!

porterdude (170) - Bellingham, Washington, USA - SEP 22, 2005
Pours a golden color with a very thin white head. A very citrusy aroma with some hints of oak and grass. A piney and citrusy hop flavor, with a slight warming of alcohol. No malt flavor that i could detect. It was like a different tasting IPA, with a rather thin body!

jigglyjock (165) - Longmont, Colorado, USA - OCT 2, 2005
Strong bitter hop aroma with grapefruit and apricote undertones. Thick, creamy orange tinged head. Slightly hazy, pale orange body. First few sips are slightly disapointing. A butt load of hop flavor with almost no balance. Other flavors that are trying to fight through the hop bitterness are lemon, orange, floral, a carmel sweetness. It is not watery, butiIf it had just a little more body it would let these masked flavor devolope more in your mouth.

auto (163) - California, USA - OCT 29, 2005
fruity apricot flavour. slightly thick palate similar to a duvel, caramel scent

hippie4beer (162) - Indianapolis, Indiana, USA - NOV 12, 2005
Pours a orangish amber color with a medium white head. Aroma of sweet heavy hops. Medium body with a long bitter finish that warms every so slightly. Great beer.

v8powered (157) - Las Vegas, Nevada, USA - DEC 15, 2013
Cellared and enjoyed November 2013: I think I saved this one a little too long. Color was orangey yellow with a mild white head. The citrusy wheat flavor is present but the carbonation was light. Good beer overall. Enjoyed one a few years ago and that one was better. May have just kept too long. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

WhiteSoxFan (152) - USA - SEP 15, 2006
22 oz. bottle. Drank on 8/10/06. Bottle conditioned. Clear, orangish yellow. Big 3" creamy off-white / yellowish head. Big foam sticks around. Big lacing. Aroma - pretty big, sweet with lots of fruity, citrusy orange hops, even after being almost a year old. Flavor - decent up front bitterness - pretty well balanced on the tongue. Some sweetness and orangy citrus flavors. Somewhat tart, mildly puckery finish. Palate - Medium towards full. Carb. on the lower side of avg. Coats the tongue nicely. Overall - really good. I pretty much like everything from Stone. Desc. says wheat beer, but no mention of wheat on the bottle? Pretty citrusy, but goes down really well on a hot day like today. Does a great job of hiding almost 8%. Great job for a big summer beer.

Ubiquibeer (140) - Cleveland, USA - SEP 16, 2005
The American Strong Ale category is so varied; I had no idea what to expect from this beer. Color golden with a small but lasting head and decent lacing. Aroma fruity, a little sour, phenolic and alcoholic. Taste yeasty, malty, subtly hoppy-bitter, with a tart, astringent sweet yet not sweet (zen sweetness?) finish. Interesting beer. Not as complex as I would expect. From the description I expected a kicked up 3FL gumballhead. Now THAT would have been a treat!

cvillebeer (134) - Charlottesville, Virginia, USA - OCT 4, 2005
First, a tasty beer. Since it has no real category, I can’t really take points off for that I suppose... The wheat aspect of it is hidden, so it comes across as a hoppy pale ale. Very delicious, but what is wheaty about it? It compares to Gumball Head in every way. The hop flavors are different, but otherwise it is a hoppy American wheat beer. Not yeasty, but hoppy.

Fatalstrike (130) - Cerritos, California, USA - SEP 27, 2011
It has been a couple years since I have last had this so I am going off memory. Aroma is full of funky wheaty goodness. Pours a clear gold/orange with a nice lasting foam. Flavor is tart with a nice hop presence bringing it all together. One of the best wheat beers I have ever had. Made a journey to the brewery whenever I saw this on the growler list. Hope to see this brewed again.