Stone Imperial Russian Stout - Belgo Anise

overall

RATINGS: 571   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.56/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 315   ABV: 10.5%
Ale brewed with anise, oak chips and belgian yeast.

bhightow01 (44) - San Diego, California, USA - OCT 10, 2011
22 oz bottle. Mahogany with a brief tan head leaving bits. Nose is chocolate, anise, vanilla and prune. Silky medium body with a soft sparkle. Holy black jellybeans! Lots of licorice and raisin with a solid backing of espresso and dark chocolate

Ernest (7694) - Boulder, Colorado, USA - JUN 16, 2011
Bottle. Head is initially average sized, frothy, brown, mostly diminishing. Body is opaque black (flashlight tested). Aroma is moderately malty (roasted grain, chocolate, husks), with notes of fennel/anise, alcohol, vanilla, plastic. Flavor is heavily sweet, lightly acidic, lightly bitter. Finish is moderately sweet, lightly acidic, moderately bitter, slightly husky. Medium to full body, syrupy/velvety texture, lively carbonation, moderately to heavily alcoholic. Somewhat rough and simple. Prominent anise note. Boozy and syrupy sweet. Only marginally better than the regular Impy Stout.

caralkaline87 (435) - Washington DC, USA - JUN 21, 2011
Pours near-black with a small brown head. Nose is deeply roasty with lots of coffee beans, chocolate, roasted barley, and some hops. Flavor jumps nose-deep into hops, and, dare I say, has a pepperoni-like flavor dominating the palate from front to back. The roasty components are not as outspoken once you’ve had a gulp or two. This is one of the lesser offers I’ve had from Stone.

Reynolds314 (3441) - Connecticut, USA - JUL 23, 2011
Decent idea but too much of the anise flavor. Really had potential but i didnt get the oak flavor or the belgian yeast at all because I was so distracted by this sambuca rip off I was drinking. Was slightly unpleasant to drink.

Nena (963) - Seattle, Washington, USA - AUG 31, 2011
Black pour, big tan head. LIcoricey earthy nose with spice and sweet roasty aroma. Roasty and bitter with a strong earthy spicey yeast flavor and a load of anise. Rather herbal as it finishes. Body is full and rich. This didn’t really work for me. I love Stone’s IRS, I love anise, and I generally like Stone’s belgian yeast Put them together and it feels rather medicinal and somehow less than the sum of its parts.

ross (2146) - weddington, North Carolina, USA - SEP 24, 2011
Bottle - pours out a dark black color with a tan head on it. Smell is chocolatey with some oak notes as well as a bit of anise. Taste is awkward; uninviting and bland. Thankfully I had multiple beers before I had this one. Too much carbonation and while I do appreciate the attempt at trying a different RIS, I believe they need to stick with the original.

SmellGood (339) - Memphis, Tennessee, USA - OCT 7, 2011
Pours beautiful with a spectacular dark head. Aroma is painfully licorice and skews my true understanding of this beer. I want to like but my disdain for licorice will not allow this.

tderoeck (9658) - Gent, BELGIUM - JAN 16, 2012
14/I/2012 1Pt. 6Fl. Oz. bottle @ RBBWG 2012 - BB: n/a (2012-54) Thanks to Antoine & Nicholas for bringing the bottle!

Clear dark brown beer, small beige head, unstable, little adhesive. Aroma: anise, liquorish, some caramel. MF: good carbon, full body. Taste: anise, liquorish, bit salty, some coffee bitterness. Aftertaste: mocha, caramel, liquorish, anise. Bah. Don’t like this. More like Dutch Anise if you ask me. :p

VertBaconStrips (2389) - Blerkablerka, VENEZUELA - JAN 21, 2012
RBAG 2012 Black with a small light brown bubbly cap, cigarette butts, fish, anise, mildly sweet and dry at the same time, a bunch of stuff that doesn’t stand out.. this blend doesn’t quite work. licorice taste but not too much, or not, sweetness from it on a candy level, dusty or occasion, lots of roast, ugtjk;lkflkjh,if76kkjtdrtu56dkl,jhhhh.k I’m getting a bit bored.bit of chocolate, quite malty.

gramity (1668) - Edmonton, Alberta, CANADA - JAN 25, 2012
RBAG 2012. Pours an opaque black color with a medium tan head that has excellent retention. The aroma is pungent with black licorice and some dark fruits. The flavor is dominated by the anise, in addition to the anise there are raisins, biter walnuts and oak filling in the back and sides. The palate is full and creamy with lively carbonation.