overall

RATINGS: 1622   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.06/5   SEASONAL: Series   EST. CALORIES: 282   ABV: 9.4%
You have in your hands a devastatingly fresh double IPA. While freshness is a key component of many beers- especially big, citrusy, floral IPAs- we’ve taken it further, a lot further, in this IPA. You see, we specifically brewed it NOT to last. We’ve not only gone to extensive lengths to ensure that you’re getting this beer in your hands within an extraordinarily short window, we made sure that the Enjoy By date isn’t randomly etched in tiny text somewhere on the bottle, to be overlooked by all but the most attentive of retailers and beer fans. Instead, we’ve sent a clear message with the name of the beer itself that there is no better time than right now to enjoy this IPA.

Batch List:
Enjoy By 10-31-15 Enjoy By 07-04-16

ThisWangsChung's rating

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 11/20
ThisWangsChung (836) - Leonardtown, Maryland, USA - MAR 13, 2013
Reviewed 3/10/13. 22 oz bottle into a Duvel tulip. A: Pours a freaking gorgeous golden amber shade with perfect clarity. The head is a three finger white shade. Everything is good here - retention, texture, and the lacing down the glass. This beer makes Sofia Vergara look like a damn horse in comparison. S: There is a distinct savory note from the hops that reminds me of onion/garlic. Otherwise, this one comes off as being bitter just from the nose alone; there is a lot of grapefruit peel, black pepper, mango, papaya, pine, and guava. It really smells damn great, but perhaps it’s not quite to my preference for an IPA. T: At first, there’s some slight maltiness (in an earthy expression) before it finishes both dry and bitter. Transitioning between the vaguely citrusy opening and piny, bitter ending is a strong midtaste of onion and garlic; I actually like this portion of the flavor profile the best. But the biggest problem here is how boozy this one seems. Maybe it’s some of the earthy and oniony qualities coming through on the back end, but there’s a real distinct sharp heat to it that doesn’t strike me as being hop-derived. Certainly it feels every bit its 9.4% ABV. To be fair, this note helps to rein in the bitterness somewhat, so it’s not all bad, I guess. I’ve got another one on standby that I plan to serve more chilled than this one - maybe this will tone down the booze some? Regardless, what a letdown. M: Typical Stone IPA: bone-dry, clean, astringent, and bitter as fuck. Well, maybe not ’as fuck’, but it does have a good lingering bite to it. Something like this should be spectacularly drinkable - thanks to all the poorly concealed alcohol I taste here, I’m reduced to vegging over this one for a moderate length of time. Drinkability is actually okay because the general feel is quite good - but then again, I expected something fantastically chuggable. O: I really thought this was going to be a world-class DIPA, but instead I find it kind of harsh and meh. I hate to say it, but this has nothing on some of the local DIPAs I can get fairly readily (Evolution Lot 6 DIPA and Troegs Perpetual IPA); and let’s not talk about how badly Lagunitas Sucks pounds this one into submission. Absolutely worth trying, though - hell, I seem to be only one who doesn’t love this. But Stone, unless the second bottle I drink manages to make me shit out rainbows and sunshine the way I expected this one to, you are back on my naughty list again.

Heidbummer (811) - SCOTLAND - OCT 8, 2017
Taster Stone Liberty Station. Pours copper, no head. Honey, biscuity, dried herbs aroma. Fantastic full mouthfeel. It's dense, dry, subtle but clearly really well made. Great.

Mindwarp (285) - Madison, Wisconsin, USA - OCT 7, 2017
This is the enjoy by 10-31-17 version. Pours a nice gold with small white head. Slight floral hoppy aroma. Taste is a nice mix of hops with a bit of bitterness. This is my first Enjoy By IPA and I've heard they are different, i dont know, but I really like this type of IPA

pinkzambia (2069) - Boise, Idaho, USA - SEP 18, 2017
Bottle 5.29.17: Drank it a little late but still good. Murky gold yellow with a white head. Wet hop with a barnyard aroma. Hop aftertaste. Thin body.

Nate213 (4) - Washington, USA - SEP 10, 2017 does not count
UPDATED: SEP 10, 2017 5/29/17. What can I say? Another solid Enjoy By from Stone. Great flavor and great hop aroma.

thomasrmielke (1) - - SEP 3, 2017 does not count
Bottle. Pours golden with a thin lacy white head. Aroma of citrus, pine and grapefruit. Flavor of pine, citrus, tropical fruit, light caramel and had some dankness. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

Beerdedone (3446) - Croydon, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 27, 2017

donandres (619) - Makati, PHILIPPINES - AUG 23, 2017
UPDATED: SEP 13, 2017 22 ounce bottle from Costco Sight: light amber, hazy, small foam Smell: very fragrant, h0ppy Taste: bitter, well balance Feel: very good, long finish, nice bitter aftertaste Overall: Excellent beer, something to look forward to

Beergaard (384) - Aarhus, DENMARK - AUG 13, 2017
Good beer, good concept. Loads of citrus, tropical fruit and grass on the nose. Taste follows up with sharp pleasantly bitter hops. Some nice sweet alcoholic heat just before the bitterness kicks in.

kajser27 (1959) - Zagreb, CROATIA - JUL 16, 2017
Clear, orange-yellow colored, medium frothy white head, nice lacing and good lasting. Aroma is of pine, citrus, fruity, some pale and caramel malt, moderate+ aroma. Taste is medium+ sweet malt, caramel, medium+ pine, citrus and fruity hops, medium+ bitterness, dry finish. Medium+ bodied, soft carbonation, oily-resiny. Enjoyed a week after the date, some notes of age already noticeable. (bottle, from Stone Berlin)

MacNJ (104) - New Jersey, USA - JUL 15, 2017
This beer boggles my mind! It’s light, fresh, refreshing. It has a nose/taste of lemongrass and pepper. Seems like a crushable summer beer. When I worked at Flying Fish, Casey Hughes told me that an IPA is the hardest style to brew in order to strike that malt and hop balance. These guys are at the top of their game producing a beer at 9.4% without a hint of booze, whiskey, etc. There is nothing harsh about this brew. Goes down like a 6.5% ABV. Unbelievable. Cheers!