overall

RATINGS: 3124   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.18/5   SEASONAL: Spring   EST. CALORIES: 315   ABV: 10.5%
"There’s no question that Stone Imperial Stout is revered among enthusiasts," states Stone CEO Greg Koch. "I know, because I’m one of ’em and I can hardly wait for it to come out each year!" Some may think that a late Spring release for a special brew of this sort is an odd time for it to come out onto the market. Koch justifies this with the rationalization "What better than a warm time of year to come out with a brew that tastes great as it warms up!" That’s because "ice cold" is certainly not the appropriate way to serve the beer. Nearly without exception, the darker, richer and more alcoholic a brew is, the warmer the serving temperature should be. The Stone Imperial Stout label describes the brew as being "intensely aromatic (notes of anise, black currants, coffee, roastiness and alcohol) and heavy on the palate...expect this mysterious brew to pour like used motor oil and taste even heavier! Serve at 55 degrees."

chef201atc (261) - Fort Worth, Texas, USA - FEB 19, 2007
2004 bottle shared w/ Tchrome. Total darkness, impenetrable pour with little or no head. Complex nose of sweet candied fruit, chocolate and toffee. Great mouthfeel - Full bodied but maybe a bit too much carbonation for my taste in a stout. Flavor is sweet fruit, licorice, and toffee. Overall a great impy stout.

WeeHeavySD (3387) - Portland, Oregon, USA - FEB 19, 2007
2005 Bottle via Kame. I’ve had this brew several times, and the first time I ever had it was with the 2004 vintage. This beer like many other really big impys will knock you on your ass if your not careful. This vintage is 10.8% abv, the first time I had it I thought it might be 11.26, but I may be wrong. Pours pitch black with a light brown head that quickly fades to a ring. Aroma brings out notes of coffee, chocolate, malt, and a rich smoky edge. The taste is nice and bold with a deep chocolate and coffee feel that stays with it throughout the taste. This is a great impy, whether it deserves to be so highly ranked or not is up for debate.

madscotsman (147) - Fairview Heights, Illinois, USA - FEB 18, 2007
The aroma was a had a deep coffee smell with the appreance of crude oil when you poured it. It had a great tan head and this was all before I took my first sip. Had a bitterness to it that added to the rich flavor and a warm finish. Almost sounds poetic. My buddy vyvvy got me a bottle of this and I’m glad he did. This was my first of many Imperials that I would try over the next 2 months and was one of my favorites. I look forward to the Spring 2007 release

robinvboyer (4811) - Sturgeon Falls, Ontario, CANADA - FEB 16, 2007
nice stout. pour very black like it said it would. small tan head, that disapears quickly. aroma is chocolate, coffee, and alcohol. flavour is the same. nice bitterness to it. i didnt feel it was very thick like others have suggested. overall still very very nice.

mamabeer (39) - Urbana, Illinois, USA - FEB 13, 2007
’05 bottle - Aroma of ripe figs and licorice. Beautiful presentation with creamy deep tan head and almost black hue. Taste and palate are dry, dark, almost burnt roasted malts and a slight coffee note. VERY heavy in the mouth! Alcohol isn’t up front and doesn’t spoil the rich flavors. This was the perfect end to a few hours of shoveling snow!

mynameisjonas (206) - Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA - FEB 7, 2007
comes in a douce douce. very good beer that contains a lot of flavor in it. highly recommended

llafoe (40) - Greenwood, Indiana, USA - FEB 6, 2007
22 oz bottle. Pours a dark brown with a half finger mahogany head. The aroma is of roasted coffee, licorice, raisins, chocolate and malt. Very smooth. You can taste the roasted coffee, licorice, raisins and some alcohol. Good beer.

TheKegergator (241) - California, USA - FEB 3, 2007
I am still getting a taste for the stouts, but this one was very good. Along with the Rogue Chocolate Stout, one of my favorites. Pours a nice dark color with one of the better foam heads i’ve seen. The taste is not overwhelming and very smooth. The crisp after taste is probably what I like the most.

swoopjones (7020) - Buffalo, New York, USA - FEB 3, 2007
22oz Bottle of 2006 version @ Coles Buffalo NY. Best beer I’ve had to date. Dark, opague & [email protected]#$*N delicious.

detroiter (958) - Euphoria, Minnesota, USA - FEB 3, 2007
A deep dark thick black beer, briefly topped by a bit of dark brown foam which dies back to just a thin film and ring. Thick sudsy lacing clings to the sides of the glass after each sip, but only for a short while before slowly sliding back into the brew. Coffee, roasted grain, raisin, and fruity alcohol aroma. Very full flavor of thick and rich sweetened coffee, charred grains, molasses, mild caramel, and dried currants. The coffee and currant flavors blend with a hint of soggy maduro cigar butt in the finish and last a good long time - into the aftertaste - and into permanent memory. So luscious - smooth and oily. Alcohol is largely, but not totally, hidden. Belly warmth and a smile guaranteed.