overall

RATINGS: 3124   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.18/5   SEASONAL: Spring   EST. CALORIES: 315   ABV: 10.5%
"There’s no question that Stone Imperial Stout is revered among enthusiasts," states Stone CEO Greg Koch. "I know, because I’m one of ’em and I can hardly wait for it to come out each year!" Some may think that a late Spring release for a special brew of this sort is an odd time for it to come out onto the market. Koch justifies this with the rationalization "What better than a warm time of year to come out with a brew that tastes great as it warms up!" That’s because "ice cold" is certainly not the appropriate way to serve the beer. Nearly without exception, the darker, richer and more alcoholic a brew is, the warmer the serving temperature should be. The Stone Imperial Stout label describes the brew as being "intensely aromatic (notes of anise, black currants, coffee, roastiness and alcohol) and heavy on the palate...expect this mysterious brew to pour like used motor oil and taste even heavier! Serve at 55 degrees."

DCJack (187) - Alabama, USA - MAY 30, 2006
UPDATED: JUN 3, 2006 almost perfect. drank a bottle last week and almost peed my pants I was so happy.. . . have another bottle and will write a better review when I open it . . . OK. Everything you could want in a beer is here. Presence, stature, fullness, flavor, excellence . . . what more needs to be said? If you could only drink one beer the rest of your life, and this was the one, you would be living in bliss. do I need to connect the dots any more directly?

TheBeerLover (1027) - DC Metro Area, USA - MAY 29, 2006
22 oz bomber of the 2006 vintage. I remember this beer being much bolder in the past. I still enjoyed it, but I had this one and a Viking Big Swede, and was suprised at how much more impressive Big Swede was when I did a side by side tasting of the two. That being said, this beer is still excellent, and an Impy well worth trying. Stone Russian Imperial pours to a jet black color, with a thick, creamy, white head, and a moderate amount of carbonation. The nose on this beer is fragrant with aromas of dark chocolate, dark roasted coffee, and hints of cracked black pepper. The palate is firm, with good dark chocolate, roast, and coffee flavors, paired with hints of licorice. This beer finishes with more big dark chocolate and coffee, then ends with a light, warming burn. Good Imperial, but I’ve have enjoyed other example much better than this one. When I did my Impy tasting recently, I found Viking Brewing’s Big Swede more impressive than Stone Russian Imperial.

ebarnes (261) - Beech Grove, Indiana, USA - MAY 29, 2006
2006 release. 22oz bottle
Pours very thick and very black with a small tan head. As mentioned by others, aroma is dominated by coffee and dark chocolate. Don’t even think of drinking this one cold. It’s metallically bitter if you do. Once it warms, my goodness. So smooth. Coffee. Chocolate. Malt. All roasted in perfect harmony. Great beer.

ricedw3 (2) - USA - MAY 28, 2006 does not count
Most complex beer that I have ever had. I enjoyed the bitter aftertaste. I couldn’t detect any pine from the hops. I enjoyed the mouth feel and finish. Very thick and satisfying.

jehoey (765) - Shippensburg, Pennsylvania, USA - MAY 27, 2006
One hell of a beer. 22 oz bottle: pours more like used oil than I have ever seen dark dark thick black. Aroma of dark malt, coffee, dark chocolate. Flavor is even more complex: dark malt, coffee, dark chocolate, anise, black current, a bit of pine on the back of the tongue from the hops. Alocohol on the finish is sweet but balanced. velvetly smooth palate the thickest I have ever felt. This is a must have. The best that I have had thus far. CHEERS!!!!!

casper78 (21) - bakersfield, California, USA - MAY 26, 2006
Bottle 1 pnt 6ozs. spring 2006 release. Pours very thick and heavy almost lumpy, and leaves this thick carmel color head. With awesome flavors of roasted malts, chocolate, with an incredible hoppy bitterness finish. This is an extraordinary beer, once again stone has hit the mark giving us this wonder!!!!

elduchey (12) - Venice, California, USA - MAY 26, 2006
Pours like over used motor oil straight out of oil pan and leaves a head that looks like something floating around in my toilet after a night of drinking Guinness. You’d think that a beer this dark would have a bitterness about it but it turns out to be one of the smoothest, most flavorfull beers you will ever drink. This is probably the best dark beer I’ve ever had. Would love to try it on tap.

glkaiser (1214) - Seattle, Washington, USA - MAY 25, 2006
Bottle from Bottleworks. Black with big frothy brown head. Roasted malt aroma with some coffee and lots of alcohol coming through. Alcohol is a bit overwhelming in the aroma. Taste of licorice, chocolate, coffee and alcohol is big, but not overwhelming. Nice and thick...nothing watery here. Awesome.

brewblackhole (1587) - Muskego, Wisconsin, USA - MAY 24, 2006
Enjoying the spring 2005 brew,heavy and complex malt licorice,chocolate cake and chocolate liquer,extremely dark opaque body, nice tan head, taste was also heavy malt,chocolate, a touch of dark fruit,a solid alcohol rush,and a big hop bitterness at the end. With all this flavor going on,thought the body was medium at best,which gave this entire mix of flavors just a touch of thinness. For me,second only to Dark Lord

505 (271) - Echo Park, California, USA - MAY 24, 2006
Delicious. Dark dark brown pour, little head. Great aroma, raisins, caramel, very malty. Sweet, raisin, prune, caramel, licorice, some hops, with a mild bitter and alcoholic finish. Very creamy, and overall, an excellent beer. Smooth and complex, easily drinkable, and definitely worth buying again.