overall

RATINGS: 3122   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.18/5   SEASONAL: Spring   EST. CALORIES: 315   ABV: 10.5%
"There’s no question that Stone Imperial Stout is revered among enthusiasts," states Stone CEO Greg Koch. "I know, because I’m one of ’em and I can hardly wait for it to come out each year!" Some may think that a late Spring release for a special brew of this sort is an odd time for it to come out onto the market. Koch justifies this with the rationalization "What better than a warm time of year to come out with a brew that tastes great as it warms up!" That’s because "ice cold" is certainly not the appropriate way to serve the beer. Nearly without exception, the darker, richer and more alcoholic a brew is, the warmer the serving temperature should be. The Stone Imperial Stout label describes the brew as being "intensely aromatic (notes of anise, black currants, coffee, roastiness and alcohol) and heavy on the palate...expect this mysterious brew to pour like used motor oil and taste even heavier! Serve at 55 degrees."

warriorx99 (85) - USA - APR 22, 2006
Bottled. This stout has a great chocolaty roasty aroma to it and pours almost black with a small amount of dark brown head. It’s a heavy body with a sweet chocoaty/coffee taste that isn’t too rich. It’s thick, but not syrupy. This is the best beer I’ve had from Stone yet. I highly recommend it.

BitchesBrew (716) - Fort Collins, Colorado, USA - APR 22, 2006
[2006 bomber] Pours thick and dark- yep, like motor oil. Aroma is wonderful- malty and inviting. Tastes smooth and complex- roasted malts, dark dried fruits, dark chocolate, medium roasted coffee and more chocolate. Coffee presence is somewhat mild, which I appreciate in terms of Imperial Stouts. Mouthfeel is thick, kind of oily. This definitely lives up to the hype.

ElPresidente1984 (173) - Maine, USA - APR 22, 2006
my roomate brought a bottle up from Mass. pours a beautifull pitch black with off white head. super thick and oily in appearance. i let this warm in my glass to close to room temp. this really alowed the aromas to release. sweet coffee, mocha, currants, and bitter chocolate are bleded in the aroma with no one smell dominating over the other. the taste is perfectly roasted malt, some black berries and currants, toffe, bitter chocolate, and hint of vanilla. each sip brings out new flavors. super creamy and thick, warms the soul on the way down. an awsome beer. wish they had it in Maine.

cewldre (268) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - APR 21, 2006
2006 Bottle: Black as night. Pured thick. Dark Brown Head. Smells of Roasted Coffee. Tastes much the same, with other hints of chocolate. You can taste malt. What can I say but, WOW!!

decaturstevo (6343) - decatur, Tennessee, USA - APR 21, 2006
1st Stone beer I’ve ever had and what a way to start. This beer pours black and the head is darker than most beers period. This baby had the aroma of caramel and chocolate to me. It has an excellent malty chocoly flavor and body (palate) thats reminds you of a Tracy Lords movie. With every sip you just keep saying this ain’t real. Man what a beer.

Snojerk321 (2984) - San Diego, California, USA - APR 21, 2006
Holy crap!! The 2006 version of the Imperial Russian Stout is simply amazing. It pours a very deep dark chocolate brown, with a very dark brown head. Aroma’s of chocolate, coffee anf other various malts. I can actually smell the alcohol.

burpfrank (299) - carpinteria, California, USA - APR 17, 2006
This is the first time I have did a tasting on a dark beer.I usually avoid them,so i will be gentle.I think it has alot of flavor,but it seemed a bit sour for me.Has a higher alcohol content than i’m used to.Very dark and thick beer.Looks like liquid molassas.Strong malt flavor.The head was good.Had a noticeable aroma.I would like to think it could be made not so sour,but I may be wrong.Would I buy it again?YES!!

arjoseph (642) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - APR 16, 2006
Bomber into tulip glass (2000 vintage), The Friday imperial stout tasting, summer 2005. Tasted blind. I was disappointed to find out what it was, because I had heard so many good things. It wasn’t bad, but it wasn’t dope. Transluscent dark brown in the glass. Smells of alcohol, plum and chocolate; reminds me of a Belgian Strong somehow, and I don’t know why I wrote that. Tangy and golden-raisin sweet in the middle, with a refreshing bitter finish that harbors a bit of banana flavor. I think it lacked most on the body and flavor; didn’t pack the malty punch I like, but didn’t have complex subtle flavors in the less malty stouts either. Still, I wouldn’t scoff and drinking this all the time.

hiphoppy (6) - USA - APR 7, 2006 does not count
certainly all its cracked up to be... Pours like used burnt motor oil. Starts of sweet then it hits you. tastes like Coffee, chocolate, prunes then raisins in succession. it leaves a great impression when its all said and done.

ehhdayton (1188) - USA - APR 4, 2006
The nose is struck immediatly with the aromas of chocolate and roasted coffee. Upon a second wiff the hints of plum and currants come through. The pour has the consistency of oil and is a deep rich black with a tan head. Lacing is light. The flavor at first has chocolate and fruit combination. A roasted coffee flavor comes to the forefront quickly and crescendos upon tha palate and through to the finish.