overall
RATINGS: 3939   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.94/5   IBU: 77   EST. CALORIES: 207   ABV: 6.9%
Bottle, can, and keg: Filtered
Launched: August 1997
Hops: Magnum, Chinook & Centennial
By definition, an India Pale Ale is hoppier and higher in alcohol than its little brother, pale ale-and we deliver in spades. Now one of the most well respected and best-selling IPAs in the country, this golden beauty explodes with citrusy flavor and hop aromas, all perfectly balanced by a subtle malt character. This crisp, extra hoppy brew is hugely refreshing on a hot day, but will always deliver no matter when you choose to drink it.

Trooper11 (468) - Suffolk, Virginia, USA - JAN 8, 2007
I just don’t know what to say about this one. Grapefruit and pine. Ahh. Citrus is fresh off the tree. If you love hops the way I do you will simply love to drink this. I could have it every day.

kevd193213 (992) - Hope Valley, Rhode Island, USA - JAN 8, 2007
Bomber. Cloudy orange rust pour with thin white head. Pine aroma with nice strong hops and faint orange-citrus. Sweet citrus taste with fantastic bitter finish. One of my favs of the style.

Illini08 (542) - Raleigh, North Carolina, USA - JAN 7, 2007
My brother picked a bottle of this up for me when he was in Indiana. Shared with Duane. Light honey colored pour with a small white head. Piney aroma, not very strong though. Flavor of tons of piney and citrusy hops but very well balanced. Very tasty, easy drinking IPA

xmarcnolanx (945) - Kirkwood, Missouri, USA - JAN 3, 2007
UPDATED: APR 18, 2007 Not very sweet on the nose. Definitely a pine hoppiness. Tastes dry, crisp citrus hop. Very straightforward and well crafted.

TechMyst (167) - Fox River Grove, Illinois, USA - DEC 31, 2006
I was expecting so much more. Run of the mill IPA for me. FFF pale ale had more hop character than this...

alexanderj (3605) - Branson, Missouri, USA - DEC 30, 2006
On Draft. Wasn’t a big fan of this. My friend who was drinking it with me said he had had it before and it tasted much better previously. Maybe I had a bad batch, will rerate later. But the sample I had was very flavorless; some hop presence, but very watery.

asmithbeer (71) - California, USA - DEC 30, 2006
UPDATED: MAY 1, 2007 Cloudy golden color with little head. Aroma is sour and hoppy. Flavor is pretty hoppy and bitter. Great IPA.

dmradus (227) - Ithaca, New York, USA - DEC 29, 2006
Pours an opaque amber-orange with a rocky off-white head that fades to a cap. Aroma is surprisingly balanced: grapefruit and pine resin are kept in check by a strong malt presence that lends sweetness. Same cannot be said for the taste: slight alcohol hit, but tons of grapefruit, pine, a bit soapy but not distractingly so. Not surprising for Stone to turn out a hop bomb here. Long and lasting bitter finish. Not exactly balanced ...might even be more malt presence in the Arrogant Bastard. Good none the less - aggressively hopped and bitter, even for an IPA.

beisen (90) - California, USA - DEC 27, 2006
This is by far the best IPA I’ve tried. The hop flavor is big and bold. The scent alone keeps me sippin’ it! I’m not a huge IPA fan, but I will buy this beer again.

Beerio (48) - USA - DEC 27, 2006
Poured from a fuckin bottle into a goddam tulip glass. Pours a hazy gold with more than a cunt hair of head. Tons of fuckin pine and citrus in the nose. Actually, it smells faintly fuckin resinous, almost like good "kind bud". This IPA has a delicious blend of hops with some really fuckin good citrus undertones. Good mothefucking lacing too. Malts seem to have "got the fuck out of town" on this brew. Perfect carbonation makes this very refreshing, and the finish is fuckin long, smooth, and almost hot. Not a trace of an undesirable bitter aftertaste...But fuck all these descriptive adjectives...It is almost fuckin perfect. FUCK YEAH!